• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    There's been some discussion this off season regarding production holsters, pros/cons and if they fall within the 2" rule.

I received my "BOSS" holster hanger today which is designed to work with Bladetech holsters, also sold as a set. To date, I had used a Bladetech with their DOH attachment, tried a Ghost and another I can't remember the name. I was not super content with any but settled on the Bladetech; after taking a torch to the DOH piece to straighten it, removing the outward cant and actually making it production legal. The Ghost was a decent holster, but the damn thing had so many adjustment points even after loctiting the heck out of it, it still moved around. I had to put reference marks on it to make sure I was always consistent, which was a task in itself.

So fast forward to this afternoon and I received this new combo, and with very little dry fire I really like it. The "hanger" is metal, solid, not plastic, nothing in the way to jam your thumb like the Bladetech. It is adjustable in that you can raise/lower the gun vertically, and adjust the gun angle forward/backwards. Unlike the ghost those, once its in position it stays there.

Getting it a day before a match is not ideal, but after getting it set up I'm not sure I even consider it a change. Still a BT holster, still production legal, still sits like the old DOH attachment, just nothing in the way of your thumband it's solid. Pretty much did not change my draw at all.

So let the nut hugger comments commence, but I bet you'll start seeing a lot of production guys use these.
    Ben Stoeger BSPS BOSS DOH Dropped Offest Holster System

photo1.JPG
    2photo.JPG

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Good review.

I'd given up on drop-offset holsters since I had to shim my old blade-tech to get it legal. I might have to check one of these out.

I think the term 'nuthugger' might be uniquely a doodie-ism. :laugh:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm intrigued. I really hate the outward cant of my Bladetech DOH.

Since I don't feel like searching, can someone clue me in as to why the stock Bladetech isn't legal?

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Rob, you can try it tomorrow if you'd like, I've been dry firing this evening and its kinda amazing the difference little things make, ie knowing I'm not going to jam my thumb.

chezuki, the outward cant often time puts the gun over 2" from the inner belt, illegal. Like I said above I put the Bladetech DOH piece in a vice and torched it to bend in straight. That fixed the cant problem but not the offset piece being in the way of your thumb/grip

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Rob, you can try it tomorrow if you'd like, I've been dry firing this evening and its kinda amazing the difference little things make, ie knowing I'm not going to jam my thumb.

chezuki, the outward cant often time puts the gun over 2" from the inner belt, illegal. Like I said above I put the Bladetech DOH piece in a vice and torched it to bend in straight. That fixed the cant problem but not the offset piece being in the way of your thumb/grip

This.

Appendix E2. That outward cant that Blade tech DOH holster have, depending on the gun, has been known to cause the grip of the gun to be further than 2" from the inner side of the belt.

Thanks for the offer! Can't wait to check it out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm still amused by a division with such restrictive rules on the gun itself, but then allows holsters that are optimized specifically for competition.

It does look like a significant improvement over similar products.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I would like to try the hanger on my limited gun holster, I don't like how the kydex arm is flimsy

This is another issue I have with my BladeTech, I have to have the retention set to almost nothing to get a clean draw without the holster flexing at the drop-offset point.

Top Bottom