• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    anyone happen to know of any 3 gun competitions going on this year around the central indiana area? i think maybe lafayette has a couple in the summer but not quite sure.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club, near Lafayette holds them monthly also. They start up again in March or April.
    Link:

Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club

Something to keep in mind is that there is a difference between "3-gun" and "Multi-gun", although you will see the names used interchangably.

Generally, the 3-gun matches at ATL are ran under USPSA Tournament rules and consist of two stages each of pistol, rifle, and shotgun. In other words, you shoot two stages using ONLY your pistol, two stages using ONLY your rifle, and two stages using ONLY your shotgun.

Wildcat's are more like "Multi-gun" in that they usually have some mixed stages. You start with your rifle and shoot these targets over here, then place it on a table and shoot those other targets with your pistol. Same with pistol/shotgun, and you might use all three in a stage. Then there are usually some stages where you use only one gun.

Both are fun.
    I like changing guns during the stage like at Wildcat, but you might get a few more rounds through your rifle and shotgun over the course of the match at ATL.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I forgot, IDPA is making a stab at 3-gun now. They have some tentative rules floating around, and have asked clubs to run some matches under those rules and give feedback for fine tuning of the rules.

So, you may see some IDPA 3-gun matches at IDPA host clubs soon. I'd check with Wildcat (link above) and Hamilton Couty Fish and Game and see if they are planning anything.

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    cool :cheers:

I forgot, IDPA is making a stab at 3-gun now. They have some tentative rules floating around, and have asked clubs to run some matches under those rules and give feedback for fine tuning of the rules.

So, you may see some IDPA 3-gun matches at IDPA host clubs soon. I'd check with Wildcat (link above) and Hamilton Couty Fish and Game and see if they are planning anything.

salemons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NorthWest Indiana
    I'm not a member there so I don't know about membership, I just shoot there a lot and have friends there. Go to their website North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana
    I shoot IDPA, Tac Rifle and 3 Gun. They do a great job putting on fun challenging shoots. Anyone can come to any of their matches and watch, just be sure to bring eye and ear protection that must be worn at all times during the matches. They have a good group of shooters and range officers. If your new just let them know at the shooters meeting just before the match starts and they will make sure you have a safe enjoyable time. Again, check out their web site for a lot of good info. While your at it check out Michigan City's web site too. See my signature.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    # Gun In Wabash In

I was at Bass and Bucks the other day talking to the owner and He said He is trying to do a 3 gun Team Match up there pretty soon
    He didnt give me any dates

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    There is a match Sunday (April 27th) at the Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club.
    Here's the email I got:

Just a reminder of the USPSA Multigun Match at Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club this Sunday 4/27. Registration at 9:30, Match starts at 10AM. MAtch fee is $20. We will have 6 stages. The longest rifle course for Sunday will be 100 yards. Minimum round counts are as follows: Shotshell - 45 rounds, Slug - 10 rounds, Rifle - 55 rounds, Pistol - 50 rounds. Buckshot and steel core rifle ammunition are not allowed! We are USPSA affiliated and will follow all USPSA Multigun rules. It will be a great match, hope to see you there!
    Here is the website link where you can find directions.
    www.wvrpc.org

I plan on going. It will be my first 3-gun or Multigun match this year.
    I'm thinking of using a Garand, just for fun.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Barry ... if Rodney offers the "heavy metal" category, you can shoot your Garand (and .30 caliber battle rifle), a .45, and a pump action 12ga if you want to participate.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I thought about that...barely.
    It hadn't even entered my mind, but I was getting my guns ready yesterday and it hit me that I was 2/3 the way to being eligible for HM. All I need to do is take a 1911 instead of a HiPower.

So I emailed him yesterday asking if he was going to recognize HM.
    No answer yet.

Maybe I'll take a 1911 anyway. I got a S&W Gunsite Scandium Commander almost a year ago and haven't shot it much. Might as well do it there.

Are you going?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As you know by now, I was not there. This morning when it was time to go, my mom was sick, so I had to stay home to help take care of her.

I've already heard it was a really good match. How did you do on the Texas Star with your Garand?

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she gets better soon, if she isn't already.

It was a really good match. I'd say I had the most fun I've had at a match in a while. Part of that was just because it was a good match, period, and part was because I shot Heavy Metal for the first time (all official-like and all). I liked it. I'll be doing more of that.

I think it took me eight shots for the TX Star. One shot each on the other steel on that stage. Of course, I probably ruined all of that when I forgot one paper target entirely!

There was a lot of lead expended on that stage today! I think it called for 37 rounds, and I know I saw some people go through two 30-rd mags. My time was something like 110 seconds, and I was not the slowest (my usual goal).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The star with eight rounds using iron sights is impressive! Good job, sir!

I'd still be there shooting at it if I'd been there today.

Top Bottom