• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    In case you haven't heard, S&W released a new competiton oriented M&P. Link to the gun here : Product: M&P®9 PERFORMANCE CENTER® PORTED

So what division is this marketed to, and would this even be competitive? Seems to me like it would only fit in the Open division, and that it would get blown away by those with their crazy custom build pistols.

Correct. It is largely useless as a competition gun.

The ports don't do much, especially with 9 minor ammo. Even the real compensators on "crazy" custom guns don't work all that well with 9 minor, because there simply isn't enough gas. Running ammo that puts out enough gas to run an actual compensator (much less a barrel with some holes drilled in it) would destroy that gun.

Simply put, it's a marketing gimmick designed to get money out of people that may not know any better, not a competition oriented gun.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    When you forget about the porting doing very little, as noted above, seems like maybe a good fun gun choice for $812 msrp, maybe $650 ish off the shelf?

Lightened slide, ready for some reasonably priced optics, adjustable trigger stop, better trigger, etc.

I could see a lot of people buying it and having fun with it & maybe using it as a cost effective way to explore whether or not they wanted to shoot with optics. If you go 9mm then the portie no workie thing is not a big deal for recreational shooters, no debate that the big kids wouldn't shoot it for that reason though.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    "About as useful as a poopie-flavored lollipop."

-rvb

Maybe, but I'm warming up to the idea of getting one and a try it and see priced optic.
    Seems like a fun shooter and I bet it makes for a cool muzzle flash in the late evening. Can't do that with a turd pop (far as I know, they don't sell them downstate).

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As is, wouldn't be competitive for anything in USPSA. If you want dump a few hundred more dollars into it, you could maybe get it serviceable in Open but you will still be behind the curve.

If you want to get one to mess around with more power to you (and I wish I had the spare funds you do, lol), but I wouldn't bother as a competitive gun.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Maybe, but I'm warming up to the idea of getting one and a try it and see priced optic.
    Seems like a fun shooter and I bet it makes for a cool muzzle flash in the late evening.

111a9b2adc022019308c8e754e3e1ed6.jpg

Seems by the time you buy the gun and an optic your getting close to the price of a decent used real open gun....

-rvb

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    111a9b2adc022019308c8e754e3e1ed6.jpg

Seems by the time you buy the gun and an optic your getting close to the price of a decent used real open gun....

-rvb

Master or class A shooter - wouldn't want to shoot minor due to the scoring implications , would be aok with higher cost of shooting major power factor warp speed ammo, would be good enough to take full advantage of a compensated gun.

Recreational shooter - fun gun, cheaper ammo, should be trouble free, no warp speed muzzle blast flinch stuff, do not have to buy spandex shirts to compete with

"So you see, Luke, what I told you was true, from a certain perspective"

:)

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Master or class A shooter - wouldn't want to shoot minor due to the scoring implications , would be aok with higher cost of shooting major power factor warp speed ammo, would be good enough to take full advantage of a compensated gun.

Recreational shooter - fun gun, cheaper ammo, should be trouble free, no warp speed muzzle blast flinch stuff, do not have to buy spandex shirts to compete with

"So you see, Luke, what I told you was true, from a certain perspective"

:)

So when am I supposed to wear all of the spandex I just bought?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Techwear isn't spandex.

Thank God/Allah/Jehovah/FSM. Not enough eye bleach in the world if it were.

Top Bottom