• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Trial period to begin as soon as rules and scoring systems are updated.

Trial period ends Jan 1. 2016 to evaluate participation and rules. Level I matches only until evaluation period is completed.

Slide mounted optics on guns from the Production gun list. Weight limit to be determined, current rumor is around 33-35oz.

Division rules will likely mirror Production.

That's all I know for now. Just wanted to share.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So the out going President threw it in before the election and will let the new guy deal with all the fallout. Cool.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I would like to try it if I can figure out how to get one mounted on my production gun. It will also **** off riverman67 and that makes me happy....

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    no provision for major power factor = stupid
    10 rounds only=stupid
    Carry optics = stupid name
    The magazines on my carry guns are loaded to full capacity.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm one of those guys with an optic on the M&P I carry. Shooting a stock mp with an optic in open division is not that appealing to me, as I would get destroyed by everyone else in open. Not saying that wouldn't happen even if I had an open gun, but I know I can't compete with my hardware. I'm also stuck because I don't want to take my optic on and off to shoot competitively, and right now another gun for shooting sports isn't in the budget. It seems like this division was built for guys like me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Would have been easier just to allow certain optics into the production division. I really doubt an RMR would give that much of a competitive advantage. Besides most production guns are not completely stock anyway.

Now what we should lobby for is a BUG division. :D

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    Maybe it could be the slightly closed Open Division? I've not shot a pistol with a red dot on the slide yet but it seems it would be little better than shooting iron sites in anything but minor. If its popular then what the heck.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been wrong about things in the past but I can't see this turning into a full time division with a high turnout at Majors, or even locals. The "red dot on a carry gun" is a pretty small crowd to begin with and most of them, from what I've seen/read, are more on the lines of Chris Costa type people. I can't see them wanting to get involved with USPSA type shooting. I'm sure there are a few people who have one of these type guns who will shoot them and I'm sure there are other people who love all things USPSA and will build/buy a specific gun just for this new division. But all in all, I think its dumb, it won't get any long-term participation and will go away.

As for the actual rules of it, mirroring the current Production rules makes the most sense for the start at least. I won't shoot that division so I really don't care what they end up doing with round count, gun weights, etc. Everyone is already complaining about it but the vast majority of people I see talking about it won't shoot it anyway, so who cares?

amp7876

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    I can see it as a stepping stone into Open. Maybe a good way for someone to give a dot a try before jumping in head first into open only to find they don't like it.
    I don't see myself shooting it but who knows, maybe it will be an avenue to get new shooters to the matches.

I also think as manufacturers develop new ideas for firearms the shooting sports need to evolve to allow those who adopt a new platform to have somewhere to shoot.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've not shot a pistol with a red dot on the slide yet but it seems it would be little better than shooting iron sites in anything but minor

Unless age or gene pool have you wearing glasses. I have a friend that shoots open only because that is the way for him to be able to see, I suspect there are others who might like to switch away from open due to the lower costs. Am starting to see some of the steels guys shoot low cost optic set ups just because it is fun.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I don't see a problem with a new division. It might not be configured the way some people want but you can't make everyone happy.:popcorn:
    I would say that if I was just getting into the sport and at my age(vision going downhill) this is exactly where I would start.:)

I do think that people are underestimating this division. I talked to several people that attend the Shot Show and while it is just their opinion all of them said the AR is still the big thing at the show(although several said it was leveling off) the next thing that they noticed was handguns with slide mounted optics. They said several manufactures had guns there so equipped and lots of aftermarket/gunsmithing support. They all said big crowds around said booths and lots of interest.
    USPSA and IDPA were in attendance at the show. Maybe they saw this and decided to be proactive instead of waiting to see if it was a fad?
    Yeah probably not but one can speculate.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've been wrong about things in the past but I can't see this turning into a full time division with a high turnout at Majors, or even locals. The "red dot on a carry gun" is a pretty small crowd to begin with and most of them, from what I've seen/read, are more on the lines of Chris Costa type people. I can't see them wanting to get involved with USPSA type shooting. I'm sure there are a few people who have one of these type guns who will shoot them and I'm sure there are other people who love all things USPSA and will build/buy a specific gun just for this new division. But all in all, I think its dumb, it won't get any long-term participation and will go away.

As for the actual rules of it, mirroring the current Production rules makes the most sense for the start at least. I won't shoot that division so I really don't care what they end up doing with round count, gun weights, etc. Everyone is already complaining about it but the vast majority of people I see talking about it won't shoot it anyway, so who cares?

I would bet the number of MRD's sold for carry guns would supprise a lot of folks.

Top Bottom