• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Will always be slow, but would like to be one of those guys who can just keep moving efficiently while shooting alphas. A man can have his dreams.

Anyway, anybody have favorite drills for this (or reference to a book or whatever) ?

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Maybe train with GM Max Bedwell? $100 for 4 hour's of 1 on 1 training. Tell him what you want to learn how to do and I'm sure he could set up some drills and a stage to practice shooting on the move.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    shooting on the move? or just moving efficient between positions?

for the latter, simple box to box drills are great. it's not too much about how fast you run, but how soon you are ready to leave the position after your last shot and how soon you are ready to shoot once in the new position. Anderson and Stoeger dryfire books have some of these drills. also consider when/how you incorporate reloads since often you're reloading between positions. add vision barriers to mimic walls/barrels in a stage (can be as simple as putting a box against the corner of a wall in your house).

one of the best things I ever did for learning to shoot on the move was to take a glass or mug, fill it almost to the top w/ water, and while "aiming" over the top at stuff, try to move around the house w/o spilling any water. you really learn to roll your step, bend your knees, and take the bounce out of your step...

-rvb

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I'm at work so I couldn't see what drill was in the youtube video but you want to keep the drill simple and low round count. Work on one technique at a time. Too many people think setting up a stage with 24+ rounds is an effective way to train but it's usually a waste of bullets. I'd recommend 4 targets, 8 rounds. Have a start and an end position. Box's are ok, physical barriers like barrels are better since that is more typical of a uspsa stage. Use a fault line or extra target stick on the ground so you can't over run the end position. Draw, engage a target, start moving, engage two targets while moving, finish on the last target settling into the end position. Make sure you are keeping the gun up. Goal is to move as quickly as you can while sights are stabilize and you're able to hit the A zone consistently. Vary partial targets and wide open targets, distance away from targets, distance you have to move. Switch start positions so you are going back and forth, up and down, start with static draws onto the first target and then switch it to moving at the buzzer. The low round count will let you get in a lot of reps. Really focus on your sight picture and compare that to the hits on the target. You'll learn what is acceptable and what is not. As you progress, then start mixing in other elements like a reload.

Ben's Skills and Drills book is great for simple setups like this to refine a given skill.

-Tim

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    shooting on the move? or just moving efficient between positions?

for the latter, simple box to box drills are great. it's not too much about how fast you run, but how soon you are ready to leave the position after your last shot and how soon you are ready to shoot once in the new position. Anderson and Stoeger dryfire books have some of these drills. also consider when/how you incorporate reloads since often you're reloading between positions. add vision barriers to mimic walls/barrels in a stage (can be as simple as putting a box against the corner of a wall in your house).

one of the best things I ever did for learning to shoot on the move was to take a glass or mug, fill it almost to the top w/ water, and while "aiming" over the top at stuff, try to move around the house w/o spilling any water. you really learn to roll your step, bend your knees, and take the bounce out of your step...

-rvb
    This is a great idea!

I also see it being very easy for me to destroy my laminate flooring. LOL

Top Bottom