• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I'm new to to 3 Gun matches and want to give it a whirl at ACC on May 29.

I believe I have the firearms I need (special thanks to you tube), but I'm not sure exactly what to bring in terms of belt rig, ammo, etc... Also -- is this a good match for my first time out? Is there anything I need to be aware of my first time out? Is a 100yd zero on my rifle sufficient?

I'm completely new to this and will gladly accept any and all advice.

Thanks for the help.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Welcome to INGO: I would highly recommend that you go and watch a competition before you participate in a 3gun match. If you are there as a spectator, you can ask questions, get advice from the participants, see what equipment is being used, see what areas of practice you might need to participate and help paste the stages and watch exactly what you will be faced with in your first competition. 3gun is a great deal of fun, but it is very demanding even for the experienced shooter.:twocents:

pizzo32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Chesterton
    Bones thank very well said. Original poster. I am the match director for INMG series at north porter county conservation club. I also recommend that you come and watch first. Basically what you will need is shot shell holders, pistol holster, pistol mag holsters, AR mag holster, and a good belt that can hold all that equipment. I can tell you brands and type. But I don't want you to run out and buy something that doesn't work for you. Everyone is different.

But I will say when you come and watch talk to the shooters. Some are more then willing to let you try a belt so you can see what works for you. As far as rifle goes. 100 yard zero is fine. Atlanta doesn't have long bays. I think they are only 40 yards deep and some are 60 yards wide. And different INMG clubs have different types of bays. So the equipment you have for one club may not be enough for the next match. And by that I mean shot she'll carriers. At ACC you may encounter stages that use minimum shotgun 20 rounds. Example: As where my match I may have a jungle run where I have 42 shotgun. Our matches and stages are always evolving into bigger more complex designes as the year progresses.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    Are round counts posted prior to match day or does a shooter show up with every piece of gear they have and hope they can support the minimums? Am I correct in assuming there isn't a generic belt setup that works for most (if not all) matches?

pizzo32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Chesterton
    Yes round counts are posted. They are posted on the INMG website.
    Normally it's 100 rifle, 100 pistol, 100 shotgun 10 slugs. That Is my minimum requirements to going to a match, going home with ammo is cool. But running out during a match sucks. Done that had to borrowed reloaded ammo and my gun wouldn't cycle on the weaker ammo.

And yes I do bring all my gear I have 4 different taccom shell carriers. Have I ever needed 4. No. Buts it's nice to have. I use the safariland els belt and everything has quick attachments so I can move stuff around for each stage.
    Normally if a stage doesn't require me to use a shotgun I'll take them off. If a stage doesn't require me to use a pistol then I'll take it off. But what if that stage requires me to use shotgun, rifle, and pistol. Well there is enough room on my belt for it. But you can also use a blade tec with the same results. The only thing that stays on my belt all the time is my rifle mag pouch it's mounted on the back of my belt, and my pistol mag pouches. Those are out of the way and I don't need them all the time.

What shotgun, rifle and pistol will you be using and calibers?
    What division do you plan to shoot?
    Have you been working on loading shotgun?
    Have you been dry firing handgun and reloading from the belt?
    Have you been practicing reloading the rifle?

Reloading shotgun gun can make or break a stage that's one of the most difficult things to reload quickly. I see a lot of shooters try to reload quickly and make a safety violation. Then They get DQed and that's no fun for you.

Im also not trying to discourage you from shooting this weekend. But I see new shooters come with the excitement of competing and they are discouraged by the end of the match and won't come back because it's too difficult.
    So if you come and watch bring a video camera so you can video shooters for playback when you get home. If you want to try it out anyways bring your guns and squad with me if I can make it. I'm Tommy3guns The match director and some of the other shooters know me and will know if I am there or not.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    What shotgun, rifle and pistol will you be using and calibers?
    What division do you plan to shoot?
    Have you been working on loading shotgun?
    Have you been dry firing handgun and reloading from the belt?
    Have you been practicing reloading the rifle?

Shotgun is a Stoeger M3000 -- +6 extension and a few other mods; HK VP9 for pistol; CORE 15 AR .223
    I intend to shoot either Tactical Limited or Tactical Optics... probably optic.
    I've spent a couple of hours working on shotgun reloading. I've spent a fair amount of time working from the belt for handgun draw and reload -- both with and without mag retention; same for rifle.
    Undoubtedly, at this point my weak spot is probably shotgun loading while moving -- working on that now.

I'm not expecting to walk out my first time and win -- if I'm competitive, I'll be thrilled. I shot a bit of IPSC about 12 years ago and spent the better part of 6 years actively shooting American Skeet. While I recognize I'm comparing apples and oranges, I also know what it's like to start at the bottom and work my way up. I haven't had the opportunity to work with anyone that's an active 3-gun shooter, so I've been very dependent on the interwebs for info and advice -- that's why I'm turning to the forum.

I sincerely appreciate the advice and info -- Is there a match that lends itself to be more newbie friendly?

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    While watching first is a good idea, there's plenty of people at the INMG events that will help you. I'd say go and get a match under your belt. Make sure that your RO knows that you are a new shooter. This is very important. Once you see a stage or 2, you'll get the gist of what's going on. It isn't rocket science... If you've shot IPSC, then you are familiar with the safety rules, range commands, etc and probably have a good holster/mag pouches for pistol. Safety and not getting DQ'd should be your priority for the first match. Easiest ways to get a DQ are breaking the 180 plane and/or grounding an unsafe firearm. Pay special attention to this.

I shot my first match using a borrowed shotgun and used my cargo short pockets to carry shotshells and an extra AR mag. Had a cheap Fobus paddle holster and paddle mag pouch for pistol. Don't let lack of equipment or experience stop you from getting out there and shooting. Also, people typically have extra gear like shotshell holders or AR pouches that they'll let you borrow for the day. Make sure you have chamber flags for your long guns and a means (case(s)) to carry them from stage to stage. I typically bring 2x what they call for on ammo in case of a stage reshoot, etc. Better to have too much, except for carrying it around all day...

As far as your belt rig, you should have a holster for your pistol and mag pouches for pistol mags. 40-50 rounds available for pistol should be plenty for any single stage. In general, the stages are not very pistol heavy. Most stages I've shot that include the rifle have not required a reload, but you can pocket carry a spare without much issue if you don't have an AR mag pouch. It's a good idea to have an extra in case of a mag malfunction. For shotgun, the pouches used in skeet generally will not work well for 3-gun. There's a lot of movement, possibly shooting from prone or kneeling. You don't want your shotshells to spill out all over the ground. Shotgun reloading is the most difficult part of this game. You'll see a variety of rigs and reloading techniques. Get a match or 2 in, ask questions and learn before you buy a bunch of gear. Be safe and have fun!!

Last edited:

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I'm not expecting to walk out my first time and win -- if I'm competitive, I'll be thrilled.................

Don't worry about being competitive. Just 1) be safe and you'll be welcomed back, 2) have FUN! My goal is to not finish last. So far, I've been successful in that. As you go along you will figure out what works for you and you'll get better and faster.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Shotgun is a Stoeger M3000 -- +6 extension and a few other mods; HK VP9 for pistol; CORE 15 AR .223
    I've spent a couple of hours working on shotgun reloading. I've spent a fair amount of time working from the belt for handgun draw and reload -- both with and without mag retention; same for rifle.
    Undoubtedly, at this point my weak spot is probably shotgun loading while moving -- working on that now.

I'm not expecting to walk out my first time and win -- if I'm competitive, I'll be thrilled. I shot a bit of IPSC about 12 years ago and spent the better part of 6 years actively shooting American Skeet. While I recognize I'm comparing apples and oranges, I also know what it's like to start at the bottom and work my way up. I haven't had the opportunity to work with anyone that's an active 3-gun shooter, so I've been very dependent on the interwebs for info and advice -- that's why I'm turning to the forum.

I sincerely appreciate the advice and info -- Is there a match that lends itself to be more newbie friendly?

Getting out to that first event is pretty intimidating. BUT, I think you will be good to go. It sounds like you have an understanding of safe competitive shooting, so I see no reason to sit this one out as a spectator. I shot my first match earlier this year and have completed 3 total so far. As of now, I plan on going to Atlanta. In those 3 matches you have not needed to reload with mag retention or really reload the shotgun while moving.

If you buy a bunch of equipment prior to your first match, you will probably just realize you want something else, so I'd hold off as much as possible. I had selected my gear pretty well, but I found that I needed to be able to carry more shotgun shells than I had planned. I think, given the ubiquitous tek lok attachments, you could probably be okay with a stiff carry belt, a fairly retentive pistol holster, and 2 pistol mag holsters. You can probably borrow shotshell caddies and I haven't seen the need for a rifle mag holster unless you have a malfunction and even then you could just pocket it. I feel like loading and managing the shotgun is probably the make or break skill. It's one thing to load well, but keeping track of when you need to is a tough skill to acquire IMO. I like to get nervous and reload when I don't need to and run dry when I should have reloaded!

When you show up to register, make sure you tell them it is your first match and make sure they put you with an RO who will be willing to coach you a bit.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers

Getting out to that first event is pretty intimidating. BUT, I think you will be good to go. It sounds like you have an understanding of safe competitive shooting, so I see no reason to sit this one out as a spectator. I shot my first match earlier this year and have completed 3 total so far. As of now, I plan on going to Atlanta. In those 3 matches you have not needed to reload with mag retention or really reload the shotgun while moving.

If you buy a bunch of equipment prior to your first match, you will probably just realize you want something else, so I'd hold off as much as possible. I had selected my gear pretty well, but I found that I needed to be able to carry more shotgun shells than I had planned. I think, given the ubiquitous tek lok attachments, you could probably be okay with a stiff carry belt, a fairly retentive pistol holster, and 2 pistol mag holsters. You can probably borrow shotshell caddies and I haven't seen the need for a rifle mag holster unless you have a malfunction and even then you could just pocket it. I feel like loading and managing the shotgun is probably the make or break skill. It's one thing to load well, but keeping track of when you need to is a tough skill to acquire IMO. I like to get nervous and reload when I don't need to and run dry when I should have reloaded!

When you show up to register, make sure you tell them it is your first match and make sure they put you with an RO who will be willing to coach you a bit.

pizzo32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Chesterton
    I think you should come and shoot. When I think of the term "NEWB". I think of a person that has never shot any sort of competition. You've been around and have a basic understanding of the rules. As IPSC rules are basically the same.

Hope to to see you at the match.
    BTW Atlanta has a rule that you may not know. You may not Unbag your guns at the car. You must remove guns at the safe area and put them in cart or buggie if you have one. All guns must be boxed or bagged between stages. Except handgun handguns must be holstered or bagged. Don't forget chamber flags.

JACKD7

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Westfield
    I think you should come and shoot. When I think of the term "NEWB". I think of a person that has never shot any sort of competition. You've been around and have a basic understanding of the rules. As IPSC rules are basically the same.

BTW Atlanta has a rule that you may not know. You may not Unbag your guns at the car. You must remove guns at the safe area and put them in cart or buggie if you have one. All guns must be boxed or bagged between stages. Except handgun handguns must be holstered or bagged. Don't forget chamber flags.
    Atlanta Conservation Club is a cold range as Pizzo points out. If you show up with a loaded carry gun have a safety officer "gun you down" at a safe table. Introduce yourself to Match Director Brian Mills who is also on the Board of Directors.

Facility Director, Atlanta Conservation Club, Atlanta, IN. 46031

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Come out and shoot. I ran my first 3 gun with a moss berg 930, my AR, and an M&P compact pistol, box shell carrier from dicks, fobus dual magazine holster and rifle mags shoved in my back pocket. Not an optimal set up, but it was an absolute blast. Just getting back in myself after a few years off and actually starting to build a "real" rig. My recommendations on what to bring: a pistol in 9mm or larger, whatever you own and are comfortable with, 3-4 spare mags or more if you have them, a shotgun, 20 or 12 gauge and something to hold shells in, I have seen belt bags used to decent effect, just some sort of container you can strap to your hip, and a rifle, .223 or larger, semi auto and spare magazines. A decent belt. Some sort of wagon to haul everything in. 200-250 pistol rounds, 200 rifle rounds, 100 birdshot and 10 slugs. Bring comfortable clothes, eye and ear protection. Bring a notebook to take notes on what other people are using. Bring a cooler with lunch and water. Bring a positive attitude and plan on screwing up a few stages.

there is a 90 second par time on each stage. 10 second penalty for missed targets, 15 seconds for targets you do not even shoot at. My advise, shoot two-3 shots at a target, if you miss, move on. It is a lot more fun if you finish a stage with targets standing than only getting through 1/3 of the stage clean.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield

If I unbag at a safe area and put them on the cart, can they remain on the cart for the duration of the day, or will I need to carry cases around all day, thus making the cart un-necessary?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Atlanta Conservation Club is a cold range as Pizzo points out. If you show up with a loaded carry gun have a safety officer "gun you down" at a safe table. Introduce yourself to Match Director Brian Mills who is also on the Board of Directors.

Facility Director, Atlanta Conservation Club, Atlanta, IN. 46031

Are you guys actually using the safe table to unload carry guns? I don't know what the rules are for Indiana multi-gun, but for USPSA you can't do that because you may not handle ammunition (live or dummy), charged magazines, or loaded guns in the safe area. Are you sure they don't have you use one of the shooting bays to unload carry guns?

JACKD7

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Westfield
    Are you guys actually using the safe table to unload carry guns? I don't know what the rules are for Indiana multi-gun, but for USPSA you can't do that because you may not handle ammunition (live or dummy), charged magazines, or loaded guns in the safe area. Are you sure they don't have you use one of the shooting bays to unload carry guns?
    If they make it to the bay's. Sooner the better though.

pizzo32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Chesterton
    So did you make the match. If you did you never found me or you just never introduced yourself. If you shot the match what did you think?

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    So did you make the match. If you did you never found me or you just never introduced yourself. If you shot the match what did you think?

I made the match -- kind of.

I arrived a couple of minutes before the shooters meeting with gear in the car and ready to go. When I pulled in and saw the sea of shooters ready to get started, I was a bit overwhelmed. I opted to listen-in on the shooters meeting and followed a squad through a couple of stages. I believe I was following squad 2 -- Mike was the RO as I recall.

Could I have shot this match without watching -- absolutely. However, I'm glad I got to see how everything played out. I've got a few things to tweak on my rig -- and plenty to work on in regards to transitioning between guns. Overall, it was everything I hoped it would be. I'm certainly looking forward to other upcoming matches.

pizzo32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Chesterton
    Great I was in the squad before Mike I was on squad 3 Couldn't have missed me. I'm the only guy with a blue camo shirt and guns to match. I'm glad you came and at least watched. Next time you will know what to expect. It's not as easy as people think. I like to shoot with new people all the time. HIllside is this weekend I should be there for it. If you can make it. Great. If not I'll see on the next trip to Atlanta or another match elsewhere. I have a match June 26th. At north porter conservation club in Chesterton Indiana Npcccinc.com is the website thanks for coming out

Top Bottom