• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    The NRA high power championships will be moving from camp Perry Ohio to camp Attebury beginning in 2018. Just got the word from a local who has been select to assist with the transition. They are hoping to move the pistol championship als after some infrastructure changes are made.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    All 2017 and 2018 NRA Highpower National Matches were/are held at Camp Atterbury. That includes all Service Rifle, Match Rifle, Long Range, Extreme Long Range (ELR), and the few "fun matches" the NRA hosts.

Ford Tough, if you have never been to a "National", then this is a wonderful opportunity. If you have never been to A match, then this is not the place to start. If you want to shoot more-or-less Service Rifle only, and want to compete against only Service Rifle, and/or want to pursue Service Rifle trophy things...the CMP Matches at Camp Perry are what you need to attend.

-Nate

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    The CMP matches are worth visit regardless in my opinion......commercial row.....CMP store, lots of good info to be learned......
    local matches will help you get your feet wet......once you try it, it is addictive

Aaron

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Aaron does make a good point.

Also related: the CMP Matches will probably feel a lot more social and casual (sorta) than NRA. Most people at NRA are taking it pretty seriously or they wouldn't be there, the main exception being locals that are just there to be there.

I will go so far, in reiteration, to say that unless you are familiar and practiced in match protocols, you should not attend either event as a shooter. It doesn't take but 3-5 matches locally to get the hang of it, and we help like the dickens, but when you go to a National or Regional match, or even a State Championship, unprepared or ignorant, you can handicap other shooters. That is not acceptable at the level of those type matches.

-Nate

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

Also related: the CMP Matches will probably feel a lot more social and casual (sorta) than NRA. Most people at NRA are taking it pretty seriously or they wouldn't be there, the main exception being locals that are just there to be there.

I will go so far, in reiteration, to say that unless you are familiar and practiced in match protocols, you should not attend either event as a shooter. It doesn't take but 3-5 matches locally to get the hang of it, and we help like the dickens, but when you go to a National or Regional match, or even a State Championship, unprepared or ignorant, you can handicap other shooters. That is not acceptable at the level of those type matches.

-Nate

Appreciate the honest reply! I have not been to any of these matches yet no, but I would like to shoot my M16A2 clone. I've been wanting to go and watch these matches and visit the store at Camp Perry so sounds like I should do that first. What matches are local besides Atterbury? Thanks again!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Borden is actually just down the way from you, and they are a really up-and-coming rifle club I think. It would be an hour or a little under for you, and that is a real bargain for the kind of gains you might be able to make from hanging out with those guys. I don't just mean shooting either. 2017 HP Rifle Matches ? Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club

During the main portion of the shooting season, we shoot at Atterbury at least 2 weekends per month. It would be a shade longer drive, but if you even shot 2 or 3 matches at CAJMTC, you'd be well prepared for the Nationals...knowing where things are on base, which end of the range catches the bullets....that kinda stuff! Central Indiana Highpower Rifle Shooters

And shoot. You're only maybe 2 hours from Miami Rifle and Pistol Club on the other side of Cincinatti. Those guys are as nice as they come, you get 600 yards with almost ZERO wind (good for calibration, testing, zeroes), and food. I think they also put on a Highpower clinic every year. MRPC Disciplines .....did I mention the burgers?

There's a great Clinic every year at Wildcat Valley just north of Lafayette, but that's a haul. Consider it though. Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club

-Nate

Last edited:

bowler299

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2017
    elwood
    All 2017 and 2018 NRA Highpower National Matches were/are held at Camp Atterbury. That includes all Service Rifle, Match Rifle, Long Range, Extreme Long Range (ELR), and the few "fun matches" the NRA hosts.

Ford Tough, if you have never been to a "National", then this is a wonderful opportunity. If you have never been to A match, then this is not the place to start. If you want to shoot more-or-less Service Rifle only, and want to compete against only Service Rifle, and/or want to pursue Service Rifle trophy things...the CMP Matches at Camp Perry are what you need to attend.

-Nate
    Nate are the matches 3/10-11/18 NRA national or are they CIHRPS?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You mean the regular season stuff?

We run everything for the year, excepting the month of July,during which the KD ranges are more-or-less owned by the NRA.

But yeah, for the rest of the year, you're stuck with/blessed-to-have-instead CIHPRS.

-Nate

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    There's a great Clinic every year at Wildcat Valley just north of Lafayette, but that's a haul. Consider it though. Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club

-Nate[/QUOTE]

WVRPC will have electronic targets for the 2018 season. Bring a table or mobile phone if you come. Should really speed up matches. I’m looking forward to trying them out.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    WVRPC will have electronic targets for the 2018 season. Bring a table or mobile phone if you come. Should really speed up matches. I’m looking forward to trying them out.

This. Bring a smartphone that is wi-fi capable, and has an internet browser.

Make sure it is FULLY charged when you get out of the car.

And that's about the biggest issue you'll see.

-Nate

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    WVRPC will have electronic targets for the 2018 season. Bring a table or mobile phone if you come. Should really speed up matches. I’m looking forward to trying them out.[/QUOTE]

That should have been tablet, not table. Mental head slap!

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel

-Nate

That has been my issue with NRA matches. Shooting is a FUN HOBBY. Please keep it that way.

Top Bottom