• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I've started buying my man sized targets by the case to save money. But they are a PITA to store. Well, storage not so much as access. A long rectangular box is easy to store, but its annoying to get the tightly rolled bundle of 50+ sheets of oversized paper out of the box. My LET brand box is easy; It opens long ways and the bundle rolls out easy. My other brand not so much as it opens from the end and I have to slide the tube out.

Does anyone have a cool trick to storing them for ease of access plus keeping them out of the way? Or should I just stick with the shipping boxes and "suck it up, buttercup" when its time to go to the range?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    So I've started buying my man sized targets by the case to save money. But they are a PITA to store. Well, storage not so much as access. A long rectangular box is easy to store, but its annoying to get the tightly rolled bundle of 50+ sheets of oversized paper out of the box. My LET brand box is easy; It opens long ways and the bundle rolls out easy. My other brand not so much as it opens from the end and I have to slide the tube out.

Does anyone have a cool trick to storing them for ease of access plus keeping them out of the way? Or should I just stick with the shipping boxes and "suck it up, buttercup" when its time to go to the range?

I'm with you on this one. I've been keeping them in the shipping box they come in. I've taken a couple of cardboard tubes like you might ship a poster or blueprint in, and put a hand full of targets in them for easy transport to the range. They are still a pita to get out of the shipping box though.

I've had plans to make a shelf that holds the different targets in the garage. Something like this:

flatfile03.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    In the past I used a smaller cardboard or plastic drawing tube. Put a dozen or so inside and it slid under the seats and stayed there. Now I just throw the box in the back and leave it. I rarely go to the range by myself so I always have people to draft into helping carry stuff.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I keep mine in my car. I have a hatchback and also a small rug I use to line the floor. I lay my targets under the rig and they stay nice and flat, never blow around with the windows down and basically are out of the way until I need them. As they are depleted, I take more of them and lay them underneath. The main group of them are stored in my garage, in a box, out of the way.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I buy freezer wrap paper in the rolls. It's tough and I keep it in in storage tubes.
    A couple of different colored Sharpies make for quick inexpensive targets. I size with a metal yard stick.
    Then again.... I'm just tearing the stuff up. I'm not saving it to frame like a Rembrandt.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If you don't mind me asking, where do you get them by the case from?
    online they can be had at a variety of places. Sadly, the Zombie Targets I loved have stopped being made. I still have a few hundred or so of them but once they are gone, I will have to find a new place and target. The ones I bought were black and white and had a regular "kill zone" marked on them though I tried to shoot them in the head.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm with you on this one. I've been keeping them in the shipping box they come in. I've taken a couple of cardboard tubes like you might ship a poster or blueprint in, and put a hand full of targets in them for easy transport to the range. They are still a pita to get out of the shipping box though.

I've had plans to make a shelf that holds the different targets in the garage. Something like this:

View attachment 51528

I made a carry tube out of a section of 4" PVC. it keeps them protected well in transit.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you get them by the case from?

Amazon.com. Law Enforcement Targets makes a good product and they are a helluva lot cheaper than what you pay for at the range. Plus the outdoor range I go to doesnt sell targets, so I gotta bring my own anyway. :):

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I store targets rolled and in totes designed for wrapping paper. For transport to the range or for a class, the pvc pipe is a good idea, but I usually just take a roll with me. Keeping them rolled protects them enough for the day.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I see where I have a small advantage here!....I work for a construction company and we go through 36" roll paper like water....I just take some old drawings...flip then over and send them back through the plotter with whatever target I want to download... So long term storage is never a problem I just print them as I need them....

I know this doesn't help with the post...but thought I would throw it up there as food for thought for other people in the construction industry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Sure. You know those magazine racks at the dentist or doctor? If you have the wall space, build a rack to stow them.

Or, you can make a tube and roll them up (if paper) and stick them in the tube, vert or hor.

Top Bottom