• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thinking of trying the GSSF league at Tim's this Sat. Anyone have any suggestions or insight into this style of competition? I found a 1/4 scale target that allowed for shorter distances during practice but outside of that I'm not sure how others prepare for a pseudo-bullseye style competition.

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Most of this event is about trigger control. You have 15 seconds to shoot ten bullets. Take your sight picture, pull and release, repeat 49 more times. Just don't get in the habit of slapping the trigger.

i'll be there as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For those who enjoy GSSF competition, you should also try NRA Action Pistol. The GSSF events are all based on NRA AP stages.

Wildcat Valley near Brookston hosts several NRA AP matches in the warm months. Give it a try in 2017!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Do you have to be a member of GSSF to shoot this club match?

A followup question to this:

If you need to join GSSF, can you join at the club the day of the shoot?

Also, if you shoot (for example) two entries, how long should you expect to be there? I'd like to shoot, but can't budget "most of the day" this particular Saturday, like a normal match. (And I do realize an indoor facility with unknown turnout complicates this).

Thanks!

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Also, if you shoot (for example) two entries, how long should you expect to be there? I'd like to shoot, but can't budget "most of the day" this particular Saturday, like a normal match. (And I do realize an indoor facility with unknown turnout complicates this).

Thanks!

I shot four entries last go round and was in and out 2.5 hours. Got there by 8:00am out after 10:00am. Very well ran and safe.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I spoke with a GSSF rep today who informed me that GSSF membership was required but could be submitted the day of the match. The cost of the league is in addition to the membership.

Rhino- do you know of any clubs/ranges that host NRA action pistol around Indy?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Basically I would define this event as a raffle to try to win a Glock. There are divisions for the different Glock pistols and the best time by a shooter in each division wins a Glock. One winner per division. However, there are several guns given away thru a blind draw. As I recall each entry is around $20 and you can enter as much as your budget will allow.

The odds are a lot better than Vegas - but not exactly a slam dunk either. Other facts include no drawing from a holster and no magazine reloading during a "relay." Oh, and of course you MUST shoot a Glock in the event. I would describe it as an accuracy event as there is no movement required nor any other IDPA or USPSA type rules. Tim's has always frowned on double tapping while using the range but I might guess that that restriction will be suspended for this event. I'm also not sure if the required range safety video will not be required. Unless it has changed, management requires first time shooters at the range watch a short (15 min) safety video before they can use the range.

Lastly, the last time I was there the staff insisted on inspecting the rounds (my own handloads) I intended to shoot. This was not too long after some morons had fired some tracer rounds at an Indianapolis range and started a fire. The intent of the inspection was, presumably, to prevent a reoccurrence of that event.

Good luck to all that participate.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Must shoot Glock is key, hate for someone to show up with a 1911, The Horror. I'll pass, not a big fan putting up $35.00 just for the privilege of shooting a match for the first time.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone know if you have to arrive at 8 or is it staggered throughout the day? I've read other competitions where shooters could come anytime during the day of the match and an employee would simply act as an RO/scorekeeper.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    I have shot this league for a few times now. The indoor and outdoor GSSF are different animals completely. You can show up at any time during the open window and go shoot. I usually get there around 10 and am finished by 11 including BS'ing.

You must shoot a Glock. Guns for indoor are stock (minus sights, factory Glock parts) or unlimited.

The course of fire is 50 rounds per division you are shooting 10 rounds in a mag per string of fire.

You will start at low ready and fire 10 rounds in 15 seconds at one target stationary in front of you in your lane. The targets will change distance 5 times from 5yds to 25yds. Target is D2 NRA.

There is a change over time from the first 2 distances to the last 3 where you can load magazines if you don't have 5 of them.

Very new shooter friendly and you will run through your course of fire in about 5 minutes once your on the line. Tims can run 5 shooters at a time and usually goes quickly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I spoke with a GSSF rep today who informed me that GSSF membership was required but could be submitted the day of the match. The cost of the league is in addition to the membership.

Rhino- do you know of any clubs/ranges that host NRA action pistol around Indy?

Wildcat Valley is about an hour away from Indy on I-65, maybe a little more. They are the only club in the state that has any NRA Action Pistol activity at all and have been for years since Jim Rheinholt's range closed after he got ill and eventually passed away. I do not know of any other clubs in the surrounding states who host NRA AP matches. The Bianchi Cup (the NRA AP world championship) is hosted in Missouri, of course, so that may be the closest to us.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have shot this league for a few times now. The indoor and outdoor GSSF are different animals completely. You can show up at any time during the open window and go shoot. I usually get there around 10 and am finished by 11 including BS'ing.

You must shoot a Glock. Guns for indoor are stock (minus sights, factory Glock parts) or unlimited.

The course of fire is 50 rounds per division you are shooting 10 rounds in a mag per string of fire.

You will start at low ready and fire 10 rounds in 15 seconds at one target stationary in front of you in your lane. The targets will change distance 5 times from 5yds to 25yds. Target is D2 NRA.

There is a change over time from the first 2 distances to the last 3 where you can load magazines if you don't have 5 of them.

Very new shooter friendly and you will run through your course of fire in about 5 minutes once your on the line. Tims can run 5 shooters at a time and usually goes quickly.

Great Info and Description!!!

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Had a great time. Saw many familiar faces to say Hi again.

Shot pretty good, wife did OK. I did better with the G17 than the G30S. Nearly got perfect with the G43, but dropped two points, so I ended with a 248 out of 250 on that entry.

The G17 was 485 out of 500 and G30S shot a 438/500.

Two more months to better the scores.

How'd everyone else do???

Top Bottom