• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I shot my first USPSA match last night and I am hooked. I already registered for another match on 12/28. I shot the match really well with my G34 in the limited division. However, the more I read, looks like I need to shoot .40 to get up in the major division. So...if I'm serious about competing in USPSA limited, do I need to step up to a G35 in order to maximize my potential for winning? Or do people win matches shooting 9mm?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    If you like shooting Glocks. Then stick with them.

9mm can only be minor power factor (less shot points) in Production, Single Stack and Limited. So yes, shooting .40 in Limited is a must for Major Power Factor scoring.

No competitive shooter in Limited division USPSA runs 9mm (some will run it just for fun, here and there).

2011 is the dominant pistol in Limited division. However there are some local hold outs who still can run a G35 reasonably well :pimp:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I shot my first USPSA match last night and I am hooked. I already registered for another match on 12/28. I shot the match really well with my G34 in the limited division. However, the more I read, looks like I need to shoot .40 to get up in the major division. So...if I'm serious about competing in USPSA limited, do I need to step up to a G35 in order to maximize my potential for winning? Or do people win matches shooting 9mm?

G34/35 are both great pistols. I went through the exact same thought process as you a couple years ago, and ended up getting one of each. The G35 is the more versatile of the two, and it's a couple ounces heavier in the slide, so I like the way it handles slightly better. If you're itching to shoot Limited Major, the G35 is about the cheapest way to go. I shied away from buying a more expensive, dedicated Limited gun (like a CZ Tactical Sport). I'm glad I took the cheaper route on the Glock, because my interests changed and I rarely shoot Limited at all now. If the equipment difference between G34 and G35 is already bothering your head, you're going to find that's the least of your issues when you move up in Limited and see what better Limited guns are out there. Both Limited and now Production are fairly dominated by heavier pistols, so a Glock is always going to be somewhat of a compromise choice. However, I think it's a good compromise, for me at least. Simple, reliable, good ergonomics, good parts availability, and magazines are available at seemingly every bait and tackle shop.

I'd wait a bit before buying another one, or trading up, just based on your impressions from one match. Yes, major is a good thing, but at a beginner level, it isn't going to make as much computational difference as you think. (For example, as a paper-napkin test, would it change your scoring place in last night's match very much if you went back and recomputed your hit factor, adding one point in the numerator for each non-A hit?)

And in 6 months, you could possibly be more interested in shooting Production (or who knows what)...you never can tell.

Congratulations, welcome aboard & enjoy your new sport!

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    No! If you're serious, you order a custom built 2011!

If you just shot your first match, you plan on attending your second match and dry fire every night. Meanwhile, over-think every possible piece of equipment and dream of new toys.

As mentioned, your interests may change drastically! For example, you could run that thing in production.

Anywho, I'm new to uspsa, so what do I know. Sporter pretty well answered your question.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I would recommend that you shoot a couple of more matches, and talk to some of the other shooters before making the decision.

Either way, your gun budget is going to go way up!!!.

Welcome to a great sport with a great group of people.:twocents:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I shot my first USPSA match last night and I am hooked.

awesome, welcome to the sport.

IMO, yes, you almost need .40 to maximize your score in Lim division. But considering it's your first match, I would have a little patience buying new gear. Your biggest gains will come in learning to be efficient on the course anyway. Watch some of the other divisions and make sure Limited is where you want to play and a glock is what you want to play with. I've seen it a lot over the years where someone shoots one match, runs out to buy a bunch of gear, then a few months later it's in the classifieds because he realizes he'd rather shoot open or a 2011 or whatever... so give it a couple matches, IMO... you could also try your 34 in production.

-rvb

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I should have stated in my original post that I do not really want to go to a 2001 as I am not a fan of the thumb safety and not familiar with that manual of arms. I grew up on striker fired guns and they are what I am most comfortable with. Plus, with some large capacity mags and a good comp trigger, I feel I can be pretty competitive.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    There is plenty to learn in order to become competitive that has little to do with kind of gun you are shooting. If you don't reload, I would consider putting your first dollars there.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    How about an economic argument? You reload right? You probably should.

But: Cost of Ammo! Now that you're serious, you're going to shoot a lot. 10,000 rounds a year. But you're also going to practice, so you'll be pushing 20,000 rounds a year. I bet everybody who has replied to this thread fired over 10,000 rounds this year. Some shoot over 20k a year.
    .40S&W = 0.19/r * 10k = $1,900 on ammo.
    9mm = 0.15/r * 10k = $1,500 on ammo.
    That's a FREE G35 this time next year.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Now that you're serious, you're going to shoot a lot. 10,000 rounds a year. But you're also going to practice, so you'll be pushing 20,000 rounds a year. I bet everybody who has replied to this thread fired over 10,000 rounds this year. Some shoot over 20k a year.

There's "serious," and "SERIOUS." I probably only shot 3500 rounds this year. (of course, my lack of practice shows...)
    Back in the day when I had more time and no kids, yea, I was 20-30k.

that said, yes, I would put a press on a higher priority than a new gun. I put it off too long when I was new and regretted it...
    .40 reloads don't cost a lot more than 9mm reloads...

-rvb

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If you like shooting Glocks. Then stick with them.

9mm can only be minor power factor (less shot points) in Production, Single Stack and Limited. So yes, shooting .40 in Limited is a must for Major Power Factor scoring.

No competitive shooter in Limited division USPSA runs 9mm (some will run it just for fun, here and there).

2011 is the dominant pistol in Limited division. However there are some local hold outs who still can run a G35 reasonably well :pimp:

As you know, I don't know a whole lot about competition, but there are some people who shoot limited with 9 and are competitive. Gabe White does it from concealment in Master class and does fairly well. I would imagine as a general rule though you are probably correct.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    Shoot what you have for several matches and see what direction you want to go after you get a feel for our sport. To many shooters jump in and buy guns and equipment to soon only to find they wasted money. Take your time and talk to a lot shooters before buying another pistol.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Shoot what you have for several matches and see what direction you want to go after you get a feel for our sport. To many shooters jump in and buy guns and equipment to soon only to find they wasted money. Take your time and talk to a lot shooters before buying another pistol.

Listen to Max , he is famous for patience when it comes to buying new guns.

Top Bottom