IDPA class for Springdield Armory 5.25 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I'm having an ongoing discussion on another site about the IDPA classification for a Springfield Armory 5.25. I have been shooting this pistol in SSP. A comment from the other site I'm on stated "It's not the grip safety that qualifies the gun (SA XD), its the partially cocked striker. If you are shooting an XD in SSP you aren't classified correctly. Likely no big deal if its just a small match, but at a major you'd certainly be ESP unless there has been a rule change I don't know about. I agree the XDs should be considered SSP, but Springfield's own documentation refers to the partially cocked striker (the trigger pull only completes the process which has already begun) which technically qualifies it as a single action pistol. This differs from a Glock action in that its striker is cocked and released during the trigger pulll, making it more akin to DA. Its also whey the XD trigger is lighter and crisper."

Admittedly I'm not an expert on IDPA rules. And I've not shot more than a state competition IDPA match. As I seem to recall, originally the SA XD was to be classified in ESP but was then allowed to be shot in SSP.

Can anyone weigh in which classification is correct and/or provide the reference or source that answers this question ?

Thanks in advance

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Since the 2015 rules were released all SA XD, XDs, XDm, and XD Mod2s have been SSP and ESP. If they are a 45 caliber they could also be CDP.

And when the 2017 rules are official, my 4" XD will be 1/8" too tall to be used in CCP.

According to HQ, the change is essential, a quality built and fairly priced gun that fits the rules too well would get you killed is a real gun fight.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Adjusting the dimensions of that box will definitely save a life.

I'm betting it has more to do with who is winning their national championships and what they are shooting. I was born a cynic and I'm probably wrong.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    IDPA is trying to save lives and the gamers just will not cooperate.

I may have to pile on a little here. I shoot IDPA because it gives me a chance to try to reinforce good gun handling habits and, quite simply, it is more fun than simply firing at "bullseye" type targets. With that being said, I do find some of the course of fire rules somewhat tedious. i.e. The "basketball pivot" rule when reloading that was in place last year (and subsequent rescinded).

Additionally, some of the other procedure calls are sometimes difficult to rationalize. Regardless, I do find the activity mostly entertaining and almost enjoyable when I don't forget to engage a target or leave a partially loaded magazine on the ground while moving to a new firing point.

Top Bottom