Production class - gentlemen start your dremels?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    There is buzz elsewhere (Enos for example) that Troy the rules head guru gave email approval to really hawg out mag openings on production class guns as shown.

attachment.php

Had always been under the impression that you could not do this.

Would rather not convert my production class gun to a limited/open gun so I figured I'd ask you folks if you thought it was Kosher.

Before modification
    attachment.php

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Oh...well if the guys on Enos forum said it...by all means, hog away...(here, I'll lend you a ceramic bit so you can really go to town)...lolz.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    1. emails aren't rules ....
    2. there is a rule in Apx D4 about longitudinal opening (22.4)... it's worded just awful, but I'd let it go.
    3. there's no rule allowing opening up in lateral direction that I'm seeing? (from the before/after it doesn't look like it was opened up wider on the sides, just smoothed. "internal?").
    4. I'd have called it legal, too (at least for that model gun)
    5. just don't put any paint there! :rolleyes:

-rvb

Last edited:

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Wonder if this is because some of the newer guns (Shadow 2, P320-X5) come from the factory with some very gracious factory magwells?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Wonder if this is because some of the newer guns (Shadow 2, P320-X5) come from the factory with some very gracious factory magwells?

The gist I got was just that this is just the way that the head honcho sees the existing rules. The gist I got previously was that this was not kosher with the last paragraph under "special conditions" at the end of appendix D4 .

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The gist I got previously was that this was not kosher with the last paragraph under "special conditions" at the end of appendix D4 .

again, see 22.4 under ApxD4.

front to back, the opening "may be more than 1/4"" larger than the mag. (not sure if it's less than 1/4" larger, guess that's illegal.... :rolleyes:)

production rules are a near disaster

-rvb

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    The gist I got was just that this is just the way that the head honcho sees the existing rules. The gist I got previously was that this was not kosher with the last paragraph under "special conditions" at the end of appendix D4 .
    send Troy an email and ask him.....

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    where is this on enos
    I just spent 9 days with Troy and sat in a board meeting..I can assure you that at no time was anything ever discussed about Production changing anything.
    The only thing was mentioned about Production division was "don't touch it" and if certain new guns has been approved yet.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    where is this on enos
    I just spent 9 days with Troy and sat in a board meeting..I can assure you that at no time was anything ever discussed about Production changing anything.
    The only thing was mentioned about Production division was "don't touch it" and if certain new guns has been approved yet.

It's not a change to the rule. Troy just elaborated on his interpretation of the current rules.
    So I just bought a stock2 - Page 5 - EAA/Tanfoglio - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Allrighty then.

Troy's bottom line seems to be hawg it out if you want to & as long as you do not flare or grind past the original outer surface of the frame then you are good to go. Figure 2 above is a little confusing because I think he is saying you can indeed radius in those areas (like the picture in my original post) .

I think.

Thanks to all.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    not a new rule, just a correct interpretation of a horribly written one. I've always assume 22.4 in apx D was missing a word. As written, it makes no sense to have the 1/4" mentioned. I suspect originally it was meant to say may NOT be more than 1/4", which would allow modest opening of the mag well. it could be read that opening it to a dimension <1/4" larger than the mag is currently not specifically authorized. craziness. I remember sending a comment to nroi about that during the last rules comment period to no effect. opening the mag well left to right is not currently authorized.

-rvb

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    $1399 Msrp
    Ready to go out of the box
    Nose heavy
    And they will be shipping anytime now

I heard $1299 for the polycoat ones, $1399 for the nitride ones.

Someone on the ENOS forums said shipping end of March.

It's between the Shadow 2 and the P320-X5 for my next range toy, whichever one I can get my hands on the fastest.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ????

Troy sez you can "bevel the inside edges" . I don't know how you do that without increasing the opening.

Show me the rule that says you can make the opening wider laterally. 22.4 only authorized longitudinally. In the specific example given, the stock magwell opening was already pretty wide and from the photos didn't appear to been made wider than stock; however the inside of the magwell had an angle that was smoothed out. that's why in my original post I said it looked legal for that gun. Other guns, maybe not. I would not take the argument smoothing out the INSIDE of the magwell allows you make the OPENING wider (laterally). welcome to open.

-rvb

Top Bottom