• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ok so im a member of my local issac waltons for the purpose of the indoor handgun range. Im thinking i would like to give trap shooting a go and get the most out of my membership. My question is i have a remington 1100 semi auto with 30" smooth bore barrel. Can i get away with using this shotgun or will i have to buy another with removable choke tubes? If i need a new shotgun id probably have to put off this venture for awhile. Thanks INGO in advance for the replies

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Whats the barrel choke?

For casual shooting, I say go for it and have some fun. This from the guy that started with a lowly Mossberg 500. (provided you arent choked out at full)

Oh, and you may be able to buy a replacement barrel with choke tubes. (The resident pro at IGC shoots an 1100 as I recall)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ok so im a member of my local issac waltons for the purpose of the indoor handgun range. Im thinking i would like to give trap shooting a go and get the most out of my membership. My question is i have a remington 1100 semi auto with 30" smooth bore barrel. Can i get away with using this shotgun or will i have to buy another with removable choke tubes? If i need a new shotgun id probably have to put off this venture for awhile. Thanks INGO in advance for the replies

Thinking you will be good with this setup, as long as the choke is Mod or tighter. I wouldn't imagine Remington made many 30" fixed choke barrels more open than that (?). It should be marked near the chamber end.

It would be hard to think of a better gun to start with. Stick a $10 TS shell-catcher on the side of the ejection port and you're ready to go.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive looked into replacement barrels and they're anywhere from 2-300 hundred. When i get home ill have to see what markings are on barrel as far as what the fixed choke is. Thanks so far guys. Ill get that checked out. I bought it used and havent done much with it but shoot some targets

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive looked into replacement barrels and they're anywhere from 2-300 hundred. When i get home ill have to see what markings are on barrel as far as what the fixed choke is. Thanks so far guys. Ill get that checked out. I bought it used and havent done much with it but shoot some targets

Still cheaper than a whole new 1100! Or most any shotgun for that matter.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Very true cameramonkey, just dont have the funds for it at the moment. Guess i can always give it a try with what i have and see what happens. They do have a time slot for new trap shooters to try it out

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Very true cameramonkey, just dont have the funds for it at the moment. Guess i can always give it a try with what i have and see what happens. They do have a time slot for new trap shooters to try it out

Just go with an open mind, haven fun, and try your best. If you dont break many, blame it on your barrel. :laugh:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I like your thinking cameramonkey. They do trap for newbies every Saturday around 3pm, so looks like ill give it a shot next weekend! Love shooting so just wanna take advantage of whats local for me and have fun

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    You'll be just fine so long as you don't line up to my left.......cause I don't need no empty hulls sailing past my nose as it's already hard enough for me to concentrate out on the line.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    1100 is fine for trap as long as you have modified choke. Full choke will work but a little more demanding in tecnique. You can buy a shell catcher that holds the empty hull at the action or fashon one with a rubber band. You don't need a specialized trap gun to learn. I often use a 1949 S/S Ithaca (30" barrels, IM/F chokes) just for fun. Shoot it almost as well as my O/U trap gun. It's all abuot knowing where it shoots and basic tecnique.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Whats the barrel choke?

For casual shooting, I say go for it and have some fun. This from the guy that started with a lowly Mossberg 500. (provided you arent choked out at full)

Oh, and you may be able to buy a replacement barrel with choke tubes. (The resident pro at IGC shoots an 1100 as I recall)

The only person I would consider "the resident pro" at Indiana Gun Clun is Bob Self who is an instructor for sporting clays. He does not shoot a Remington 1100. He is currently shooting a Caesar Guerrini and before that he was shooting a Browning. Both over and unders.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The only person I would consider "the resident pro" at Indiana Gun Clun is Bob Self who is an instructor for sporting clays. He does not shoot a Remington 1100. He is currently shooting a Caesar Guerrini and before that he was shooting a Browning. Both over and unders.

Weird. The two times Ive seen him shoot (granted, not in competition but as a coach) it was with an 1100.

He must have been slumming it those two days. :):

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County

Just go have some fun !
    And just so you know it is addicting .
    They few clubs I have been to , the regulars have always been ready to lend a helping hand on Technique ,Equipment and ammo.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Many have already said this but shoot the 1100. When I started, I used my Beretta AL-2 with 28" modified barrel. I went from hitting 8-9 a round to 18-19 a round by the end of my first season.

Get the shell catcher. That is a minimal investment and then buy shells. Shooting Trap is not like going to the range once in awhile sending a few rounds down range. I would burn through 2-4 boxes on Thursday's at MCFG and 2- boxes on Monday's at Wildcat.

Oh, and like Mike says, it can be addicting. And watch out for the "old guys". They will clean your clock! But then they will be very willing to help you. It was an 80+ year old man that took me from single digits to double digits in one lesson.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Next weekend im just gonna go for it. Ordered the shell catcher and already have plenty of shells. Go give her a whirl and see how it goes

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    SingleSix and I have shot trap at MCF&G for years. We shoot a very casual program there on Thursday nights and have seen everything from short barreled cylinder choked (no choke) riot style shotguns to $25,000 Trap guns, and guess what?, they all break targets. Take what you have with a few boxes of cheap white box Winchester 12 gauge 'heavy lead load' #8 or #7 1/2s and go have some fun. If you want to slip down to MCF&G on a Thursday evening you will find many people more than willing to get you started on the right foot and help you break some clays.

MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range

Top Bottom