• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Is anyone shooting in the IDP classifier this sunday? It will be my first IDP shoot and I was wondering what to expect..

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm going....Or at least I'm planning to. I joined IDPA in 1999, have shot off and on since, and have wanted to shoot the classifier since the start, but have yet to make it to one. Something always happens to make me miss them.

As far as what to expect, this match is unusual. Besides the classifier, they are shooting a Postal Match. That is like a regular match, but the same stages are being shot at clubs all over the country and will be scored together.
    Both the Classifier and Postal Match stages ae on the IDPA website.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Thanks Barry, The link info was VERY helpfull. I need to read it three or four more times but it is great.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Oh, and another thing:
    Take plenty of ammo.

It may say this in that tips link, but if you should have to re-shoot any of the Classifier, you re-shoot the entire 30-round portion. So if you were almost done with that part when you had your problem, you could easily use up 50+ rounds on it. If that should happen twice, you will really be eating up the ammo.
    It's unlikely, but that's no reason not to plan for it.

I always take 2X the posted round count to any IDPA or IPSC match anyway, but will be taking more this time.

Edit: I said "3-rd portion"...it's 30-rd portion.

Last edited:

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    thanks again for the info,,, unless i'm shooting a carbine or ar I take plenty . Isn't it amazing how you can get stuck on a ten meter plate for what seems like an hour..I hope it's not just me..
    thanks again and hope to see yopu sunday
    dave

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I was pretty sure you knew, but wanted to make sure you didn't show up Sunday. That could be disapointing!

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    not to mention really embarassing.... I do have one other question, do you have to wear a vest or jacket when you shoot? as I watch videos and look at pictures, it seems most are.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    IDPA started out where you had to wear a concealing garment all the time, or at least most of it. Now, it depends on each scenario, or the weather.

I always wear one (I shoot the way I carry my gun everyday) so really don't pay much attention to it.

I'm not sure about the Classifier though. I have heard that it should be shot without a concealing garment (to give a more even representation of how people shoot) but I don't remember seeing that in the rule book.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Well, great.
    Once more, it didn't work out for me to shoot a classifier.

As we debated whether to continue set-up, or start signing-up, the weather decided for us. Between flashes of lightning in the distance and reports of tornado sirens in the Carmel area, the match was called off.

I'm never gonna get to shoot one of these things.

There is an idea being discussed to hold it next weekend. Hamilton Co Fish & Game holds their IDPA mach that Sat, but they may try to combine the two clubs and matches, and hold the Classifier and Postal Match at Atl.
    But that's an early thought. We will see if it happens.
    But keep it in mind as being a possibilty.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I kinda figured by the radar it was going to be a wash..Next saturday doesn't look good right now , but you know indy. Hope friday night works out, got a new xd9 i want to try.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I made it. Once again, fate tried to intervene (by breaking the frame on my glasses the night before). It never fails. I went and shot the thing with one ear thingy on my glasses anyway.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Murphys law is an unrelenting bitch..I get new glasses this week ( first pair in 25yrs) now maybe I can see the front post without painting it pink..lol..

Top Bottom