• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virtus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Fishers
    Thinking of competing in my first steel match. Who has done this before at Atlanta and what should I expect? Tips for a newbie?

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    ACC is a great place to shoot. I have found most of the folks ther to be very helpful ( if your gun breaks someone will always let you use theirs) i have even had people give me ammo when mine seems to be bad.
    The best tip I can offer is to just have fun.. go in with that attitude and you won't care what you shoot the first time...

see you there
    smitty

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    :draw:Speaking from EXPERIENCE the range at Atlanta is "A COLD RANGE". Do not "pull your Roscoe" as Shay put it last weekend, unless you are on the firing line, or at the safe table. Other than that enjoy yourself, all the people I have met there are great. Very helpful if you have questions, and you'll have a ball.....:do2:

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Good crowd to go shooting with. When you sign the roster, let Eric know that it's your first time and he'll squad you up with the right folks.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    June steel shoot at ACC

Good crowd to go shooting with. When you sign the roster, let Eric know that it's your first time and he'll squad you up with the right folks.

I went for the first time and shot in Eric's squad and had a great time. Turns out about 5 or so guys shoot at MCF&G events so it was like old home week for me. Eric set up five courses of fire this month from retired 1970's setups just for giggles and one had only 2 plates, (one above the other). You shot at about 5 yards and did 7 strings. The whole point was speed, speed speed. It was amazing how long it took for the buzzer to register in your brain and you pull your pistol and shoot the first round... hopefully hitting the plate. That was the other cool part for me... drawing from a holster at the buzzer. Good practice on Shay's 4-count draw stroke! :) Another COF had 4 plates up relatively close, then a tiny little 6-inch stop plate waaaaaayyy back there at about 25 yards. That one was tough, even for the experienced shooters. The weather looked iffy for awhile, but it held off until we finished. I'm DEFINITELY going back next month. Actually I'm hoping to make it to the IDPA shoot the first Sat of July. That ought to be a real g(un) blast too. I wore my hat and talked to several folks about our INGunOwners forum and several had never heard of it, so we may get a few new visitors.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    The double tap ( 2 plate ) was my favorite. I didn't get any under a second though.. a couple in my squad did..glad you had fun

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    The double tap ( 2 plate ) was my favorite. I didn't get any under a second though.. a couple in my squad did..glad you had fun
    I managed a 1.1 on that one, but couldn't pull of the sub-second run.

For those that like to shoot steel, there's a match in Sellersburg (Silver Creek Conservation Club) this coming weekend (28 June)

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    what do they shoot there?

This Saturday, it's steel shooting. They aren't officially associated with Steel Challenge, so they call it something like Super Steel. Different name, but same stuff.

Edit for clarification.
    The Silver Creek (Welcome to Silver Creek Conservation Club) club is south of Indy, near Sellersburg.

Atlanta Conservation club (Atlanta Conservation Club: Home) is north of Indy near Tipton.

Both clubs host steel matches (and others) but on different weekends.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom