• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pami, I won't be there, but the guys will take really good care of you. Tell them you're "new" and they will explain things to you and guide you through the match.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    We just went to watch to get an idea of what goes on. We followed around Team Target Sports since we're able to recognize Ron. Good group of guys and gals to follow around. We'd be talking among ourselves (we brought our friend James), commenting on this or that, and someone would notice and come over and explain whatever it was we were talking about, which was really awesome. I think we might try it out next month. :)

Here's a few photos I snapped:

Maryann shooting in Stage 3:
    pic-007.jpg

Ron keeping time in Stage 4:
    pic-045.jpg

Ron running in Stage 4:
    pic-083.jpg

Maryann shooting in Stage 4:
    pic-132.jpg

Stage 3 setup with no people around:

pic-202.jpg

I definitely improved my sunburn.

I met the ACC photographer, so I'm sure he'll have some new photos up on their website at some point (which is incredibly awesome, btw): Atlanta Conservation Club: Home

Another note: one of the women in the group we tagged along with was shooting a match for the second time ever. It was interesting hearing her husband and the other guys give her some pointers. She made a comment that made me laugh because I would probably approach my first few matches the same way: she doesn't really pay that close attention to her time but rather makes sure she hits the target. I think we're definitely going to have to pursue this. :)

And if anyone in that group actually reads this board: THANK YOU!!! We really had a good time today, even if we didn't shoot. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    . . . she doesn't really pay that close attention to her time but rather makes sure she hits the target.

That's really the way you have to do it when you're starting. Nothing is more discouraging that getting zeros or really low hit factors on stages when you're new because you tried to "go fast," but didn't hit anything. It happens, and people who do it usually never come back after the first or second try.

Time is not important if you don't hit the target. Once you can hit the targets at will, then you can take measures to improve your speed and time. A hint: the speed has little to do with how fast you shoot (like split times between shots) multiple shots, but more so with how quickly you can get your sights on target, target to target transitions, and how quickly you are able to get on target and shooting when you arrive at a new position.

Too many beginners (and even a few experienced shooters) can't get past trying to fire their shots on one target as fast as they can, usually pressing the trigger two or three times with only one sight picture. That's a recipe of missing, and it saves very little time. The best shooters in the world have rather leisurely split times on many stages, but they are blindingly fast on sight picture acquisition, target-to-target transitions, and the other skills that really matter.

I'm glad you had a good time and that you want to give it a try. I recommend joining us at RileyCC (near Terre Haute www.wvpps.com) next Sunday.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    nod nod... that's what I figured and it makes sense. they said the scoring was the total of all your shot points (where you hit, major or minor) divided by your run time. If you miss the target, you get 0 points (and a fair amount of good-natured teasing if the score-keeper called out "mike"). :):

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    second the joining at riley. great bunch of folks. rhino will likely be there and since i'm on a working "vacation" (just means i'm not going to my day job for a while) i'm going to do my best to be there. bring your gear and shoot. if you need anything, let me know and i'll bring along some extras.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Uh oh, I think somebody else has caight the USPSA bug.

I am going to attempt to make the Terrible Haute match.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I just managed to give up one set of addictive tournaments. I really don't need another one. :):

Spending $85 every three weeks on the Trophy Fund and driving all over the midwest takes a lot more time and gas than you'd think.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I just managed to give up one set of addictive tournaments. I really don't need another one. :):

Spending $85 every three weeks on the Trophy Fund and driving all over the midwest takes a lot more time and gas than you'd think.

It wouldn't be as bad as that.

If you only do it at one club, it's only once a month...
    It's only $20ish to shoot in the match, plus about 150ish rounds, so only $50 plus time and gas, every four weeks instead of three. :p

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It wouldn't be as bad as that.

If you only do it at one club, it's only once a month...
    It's only $20ish to shoot in the match, plus about 150ish rounds, so only $50 plus time and gas, every four weeks instead of three. :p

It's not so much the money, it's that it starts to feel like a chore after awhile. Like something you have to do. At that point it stops being fun, but you can't stop or you'll lose your standings. When you're in a points race, it's really hard to call it quits and concede your place. We were doing 15-18 tournaments per year and traveling all over the place. Mostly around Indiana, but also to Ohio, Illinois, Pensylvania, etc. Even to international tournaments in Europe. It really feels good to not be competing anymore. It feels like I've kicked an addiction, to be honest.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It's not so much the money, it's that it starts to feel like a chore after awhile. Like something you have to do. At that point it stops being fun, but you can't stop or you'll lose your standings. When you're in a points race, it's really hard to call it quits and concede your place. We were doing 15-18 tournaments per year and traveling all over the place. Mostly around Indiana, but also to Ohio, Illinois, Pensylvania, etc. Even to international tournaments in Europe. It really feels good to not be competing anymore. It feels like I've kicked an addiction, to be honest.

I second that!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    You say that now... after a bit you might realize you are looking for the next closest club so you can get your fix on an "off week." Run while you can and don't look back!;)

No good.. I've already got my husband sending me IMs asking, "Are you off next Sunday? Can we go to that one in Terre Haute? *looks hopeful*"

We're suckered in already. :cheers:

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    No good.. I've already got my husband sending me IMs asking, "Are you off next Sunday? Can we go to that one in Terre Haute? *looks hopeful*"

We're suckered in already. :cheers:

Riley is a good place to shoot. I'd recommend it for a first timer. I shot my first match at Riley last spring, and everyone was helpful and understanding. It's a pretty low pressure club atmosphere. I know that I'll keep going back.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Can anyone in the know tell me which category I'll be shooting in with my H&K P30? Might as well ask for Pami's Sig Sauer P250 as well.

Mine is DA/SA with 15 round magazines. Hers is DAO with 15 round magazines.

Both easily fit inside the box.... if there is such a thing anymore.

Danke.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Both shooting 9mm then?

Your best bet will probably be Production. You can only load 10 rounds per mag for Production, so mag size isn't an issue. Production is scored "minor" across the board, so there is no scoring disadvantage to shooting 9mm as there would be in say, Limited or Limited 10. This might be too much info at this point, but you'll learn as you go.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd recommend production as well. If you want to load your magazines to full capacity, then you can also shoot in Limited Division. In any case, the equipment details can be sorted out and the shooting is the same regardless of your division.

If you can, try to have pouches to carry at least four magazines on your belt, especially if you're in Production Division. The more magazines you have, the better, because then you won't have to reload them over and over between stages. Holsters have to cover the trigger gard, and you should be able to reholster one-handed (which means floppy nylon holsters are not your best bet).

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Sounds like I'll be shooting Limited this time around.
    I've only got 4 magazines total. Pami's got 3.

I'm not worried about doing well. I'm more worried about having fun. ;)

Top Bottom