• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Is there any chance IPSC could be featured in the olympics in the coming years? I've been watching the shooting sports online. Guys and gals running around courses seems to be more viewer stimulating plus the USA could showcase some of our excellent shooters.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Is there any chance IPSC could be featured in the olympics in the coming years? I've been watching the shooting sports online. Guys and gals running around courses seems to be more viewer stimulating plus the USA could showcase some of our excellent shooters.

Is there a link?

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    I figure the closest we'll get to an Olympics-type event for Practical Shooting is the IPSC World Shoot:
    IPSC Indonesia: World Shoot XV, Bali

Heck, I think I mentioned that on another message board, that I'd love to see some practical shooting or high power/service rifle competitions in the Olympics. Though, my cynical side says that NBC wouldn't cover it in prime time (or even outside of web feeds) though . . . no matter how viewer stimulating it was.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    there has been talk on and off for years. there was even some demos for the olympic committee and a few events that put some of the worlds best shooters in some of the olympic events. the ipsc and cowboy shooters did VERY well. however, the "combat" component of practical shooting seemingly has doomed practical shooting in the olympics. even though biathalon, and the olympics in general, were tests of military skills. javelin? pentatholon?

politics. bah.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In fact, and they will deny it to this day (because they are liars), but two of the IPSC bigshots (and that's IPSC proper, not USPSA) were asserting that IPSC would be a demonstation sport at the Olympics in Athens years ago.

I (as well as a few others) expressed incredulity, as the term "demonstration sport" has a specfic meaning in IOC parlance, and IPSC was never (and never will be) accepted or endorsed as a demonstration sport in the Olympics.

After we pointed this out, they backpedaled and claimed it they wanted to have a demonstration match while the Olympics were happening. Naturally, they changed the IPSC web site to reflect this, and denied ever having stated or suggested that IPSC would be a demonstration sport. I did not keep a copy of the web site, so I have no evidence other than my memory and the truth.

Given that, the IOC tries every year to get rid of the shooting sports they already have. This time, women's double trap is not an event, as it was deleted from the roster. Expect the pistol events to suffer the same fate soon, but I could be wrong.

There is no way in hell that IPSC or any sport remotely similar to it will ever be accepted by the IOC as a legitimate sport, much less endorsed as an Olympic event.

In fact, their refusal to acknowledge that practical shooting is legitimate sport played a huge role in how some of the BATF (now BATFE) regulations were interpreted with respect to what kind of guns we peons should be allowed to own or allow to be imported into the USA. No "legitimate sporting purpose," no dice.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I did not keep a copy of the web site, so I have no evidence other than my memory and the truth.

I remember that too.
    I do not recall who the parties were now, but I do recall the oft-mentioned phrase "...with IPSC soon to be an Olympic demonstration sport...".
    If nothing else, I remember the "Classic" target (I still think "Amoeba target" is more descriptive) being defended as being necessary to not scare the world's sheep at said "demonstration".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Exactly!

I am actually on a list of the top 10 enemies of IPSC in the world. I'm either #5 or #6. I'm a bit peeved that I'm not in the top three.

Top Bottom