• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To practice or not to practice, that is the question . . .

Those who know me (and some who don't) know that I like to joke about practicing between matches being cheating. I don't like to practice in a dedicated way, and I very rarely do it. For the most part, shooting matches is my practice.

Yet, sometimes I get the urge to do a little illicit practicing, and Coach even outed me for transgressing in his presence a couple of weeks ago. I did a few draws and shot some steel.

I know I should practice, at least along the lines of a few minutes of dry fire a few times a week, but I'm too lazy. I know how much it would improve my skills (both for games as well as for more serious applications), because when I did practice in the mid to late 1990s, I did see some rapid improvement.

And of course writing about it here has gotten the urge out of my system for a while. Whew! I dodged another bullet (no pun intended).

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You don't have to clean your guns after practicing. Just like rifle, you would be surprised how dry firing can help pistol skills. Just get all your ammo out of the area and setup some targets.

Draw and engage with dry fire. You will be able to see your sight picture and tell if it would have been a hit. Each shot is a dud, which gives you an opportunity to tap, rack, reacquire and fire. With a double action pistol, it is even easier. Just pulling the gun up and acquiring sight pictures on different targets will speed you up and improve accuracy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Amen!

Heck, if I were B or A class, I'd just get my a** handed to me by a higher classified group of shooters instead of the getting pummelled by C class shooters as it is.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    sandbagging? what is this sandbagging?

Playing at lower than your capability to fit within a certain section in sports that have handicaps, then kicking ass when the competition starts. Often used in golf. Apparently, action pistol shooters forget to when they start smelling the gun powder. :D

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Practicing is overrated anyway . . . especially when you have to pay for the range time and ammunition (have I mentioned I miss Rose and the Gun Club?). Even contrary to my best efforts, I still managed my C-Card finally. Crazy me still wants my A or B card in Production, then off to Limited with me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't have to sandbag to stay where I am. In fact, I'm a "grandbagger" just to be in C!

I should petition to be put back to D!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I don't have to sandbag to stay where I am. In fact, I'm a "grandbagger" just to be in C!

I should petition to be put back to D!

no, don't do that. then we would be competing head to head. i wouldn't like that. it's embarrassing to get beat regularly by a family member. :):

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    What's the Class below F? Because that's where my almost completely stupid #$% should be.

:)

that's not really a fair assessment, lars. and remember, i told you negative scores (and percentages) are not allowed.

you should do better now that you've seen what's up at an ipsc match. well, that and get some mag pouches. plural. more mags wouldn't hurt.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Mike, as you probably noticed, I zero'd that classifier as well. Something about those stand and shoots that I can't seem to figure out. I guess it's 90% mental, the rest is all in my head.

Top Bottom