• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I've decided to start shooting competitively. It will have to be IDPA because it is held on Saturdays. My plan has been to pick up a XDm9 for this purpose because XDs (all 45s) are what I carry and shoot most now. Then I learned that the single action trigger will put me in enhanced service pistol rather than stock. I understand that class is typically for 1911's and that it would be difficult to be competitive with a polymer because of it. I'm not terribly interested in how competitive I am but I don't want to be silly either.

So here are my thoughts and questions. Is it advisable for a person new to competitive shooting to begin in a class of than the most basic? I'm willing to compete with a different platform than I carry but it isn't my preference. Is there something I need to know that would help me make this decision? I'm also not beyond taking suggestions for alternative platforms for competition. Thanks for the help.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm thinking the 1911 is in a class of it's own, Custom Defensive Pistol I think.

I'm thinking you were a fan of the 1911 as well, might be a good place to start.

Last edited:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I'll defer to the IDPA folks, but I think the idea of shoot what you carry is spot on. If you aren't worrying to much about how you compete, IMO, I wouldn't change your platform.

Unless, you are just out looking to buy a new gun and need justification. In that case, you have an argument :D.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Go shoot a couple matches with what you have. once you better understand the divisions you can choose a new pistol. the XD will be perfectly competitive in ESP. CDP is for .45s only, so most 1911s will be there, but you will see some 1911/2011s in ESP in 9mm and .40. if you loose to them it will not be the pistol's fault.

-rvb

Last edited:

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    You will be fine in ESP with an XD. I have shot a 4" XD40 in ESP for several years. As mentioned above try it out. You can always go to CDP with the 45 XD or move around later if you must.

I shoot what I carry so that would be the XD. Whatever division it falls in doesnt affect my choice. I even managed a plaque a couple times at IN State. So it is competive.

Be safe, have fun. Hope to meet you at a match sometime.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    After a couple IDPA matches knock off the training wheels and try a uspsa match where you can load your 45 mags all the way!!

I use a Canyon Creek 45 Rich makes and sells as a off the shelf pistol.

Im sure the training wheel comment will get me taunted by the IDPA regulars. IDPA is fun but not my first choice anymore.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    After a couple IDPA matches knock off the training wheels and try a uspsa match where you can load your 45 mags all the way!!

Im sure the training wheel comment will get me taunted by the IDPA regulars. IDPA is fun but not my first choice anymore.

:bat:

USPSA is for people too lazy to use cover :whistle:

I help run the IDPA matches at ACC. USE YOUR CURRENT GUN! You will have fun, be more confident with your carry gun, and you will not be horrifically outgunned. It can be said that 1911s are maybe/slightly more "competitive" for CDP, but who cares? Nobody drives home in a new Caddy after IDPA matches...

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Thank you all for the advice. It seems the most consistent advice I am getting is to shoot what I have now and make a change later if I want to and to not worry about what class my chosen pistol falls. That's what I'll do. I'm not really itching for a competition only pistol anyway. Thanks again.

I think I would prefer to shoot uspsa but they seem to be held on Sundays and that is a no go for me. That day is dedicated church and family time.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Thank you all for the advice. It seems the most consistent advice I am getting is to shoot what I have now and make a change later if I want to and to not worry about what class my chosen pistol falls. That's what I'll do. I'm not really itching for a competition only pistol anyway. Thanks again.

I think I would prefer to shoot uspsa but they seem to be held on Sundays and that is a no go for me. That day is dedicated church and family time.

Your choice is admirable.

The main thing is be safe and enjoy yourself.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just have fun, most of us started with a carry pistol.

I was the same way, but church is flexible and the kids get the weekdays and all day Saturday for their activities.

Besides, nothing like spending Sunday's in God's creation with a bunch of like-minded people :rockwoot:

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    Well, I sure don't know much about duttin, but I say if your shootin becomes a competitive obsession, then buy something you feel will take you to the next level. Until then, use that money to shoot more competitions and enjoy what you got.

My bet is when the day comes that Rob Leatham and I are squared off, he could use any gun and still beat me using the best possible gun.

Enjoy yourself!

Top Bottom