• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKsteve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Avon
    Just curious if anyone around here open carries (vs concealed carry) If so where and what kind of reactions do you get?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Even though legal, I wouldn't carry openly because I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with the "man with a gun" complaints that may be called in. Besides, it's nobody else's business if I'm armed or not. I want it to be a surprise. ;)

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    ok, I'll give you a faster draw....... and it will be faster for the officer to take possession of your firearm while he researches the legality of open carry, and checks your permit.:thumbsup:

Seriously, I think if I had to choose between ease of access, and being the focus of bunches of people, vs. another second or two to draw, when nobody knows you're going to draw, I'll take the latter.

of course, that's what opinions are all about...... :)

Hey Steve, is that you in the avitar clip?

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    well, I'm glad it's not you. I have you pictured as a reasonable individual, and I'd hate to be that far off base. :rolleyesedit:

hkhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    :+1:

ok, I'll give you a faster draw....... and it will be faster for the officer to take possession of your firearm while he researches the legality of open carry, and checks your permit.:thumbsup:

Seriously, I think if I had to choose between ease of access, and being the focus of bunches of people, vs. another second or two to draw, when nobody knows you're going to draw, I'll take the latter.

of course, that's what opinions are all about...... :)

kirkwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Bloomington
    After giving it some more thought I see no point to Open Carry. It probably gives the person a feeling of "importance" or "look at me" I have a gun. :rolleyesedit:

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    First post: Refered by a member on http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum22/7569.html

I CC and OC based on what I feel like.

When I OC I don't do it for attention. Mainly if I get attn its in my opinion a good thing. Think about it. Why does anyone seem surprised or call the cops for "man with gun"...? Its because our country has gotten use to being told what to do and no one seems to know they're constitutional rights.

Indiana is a carrying state oc and cc. The attn I would get OCing in turn helps educate people that it IS legal to carry a firearm like our ancestors in this country have always done.

exercise your right or you lose them..

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First post: Refered by a member on http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum22/7569.html

I CC and OC based on what I feel like.

When I OC I don't do it for attention. Mainly if I get attn its in my opinion a good thing. Think about it. Why does anyone seem surprised or call the cops for "man with gun"...? Its because our country has gotten use to being told what to do and no one seems to know they're constitutional rights.

Indiana is a carrying state oc and cc. The attn I would get OCing in turn helps educate people that it IS legal to carry a firearm like our ancestors in this country have always done.

exercise your right or you lose them..

soccermom and her 3 kids at the mall are not there to be educated about carry laws. open carry is for sure an effective method for a quicker draw - by you and someone you don't want drawing your weapon. i'll stick to hiding what i have.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    Our Indiana License To Carry Handgun is just that, a license to carry handgun. How we carry it is up to us. I usually carry concealed, but I do open carry on occaision, mostly in Angola and sometimes in Auburn. Thus far, I've had no hassles. A couple times, a waitress got big eyes, but never spilled my coffee. When I open carry, it's most generally in a cross draw. I found the link to this site on OpenCarry.org There seems to be a lot of controversy on open carry. I'm all for open carry but recognize it's not for everyone or every situation. I'm thankful our license allows either option.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Even though legal, I wouldn't carry openly because I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with the "man with a gun" complaints that may be called in. Besides, it's nobody else's business if I'm armed or not. I want it to be a surprise. ;)

I've never had anyone do a 'man with a gun' call and I live in Lake county. I've open carried in Hammond, Highland, Merrillville, Munster, Dyer. Just about one out of every 2 people in a store here are from ILLinois, if that sort of thing actually happened with any sort of regularity I'd have had dozens by now :):

I don't OC much, normally on range days and thats about it. Like most I prefer to keep it concealed and let any potential bad guy be surprised. At the same time a Right not exercised is a Right lost.

One of the GREAT BENEFITS of living in a state that allows both OC and CC is avoiding the whole 'brandishing' or 'exposing' charges in states where only CC is legal.

I moved from Florida up here 5 years ago. In FLA the wind blowing your shirt up exposing your carry gun is a crime that can cost you your permit and some serious cash plus upto 30 days in jail. Officer discretion allows 'brandishing' to be fairly easily added to the charges and that will cost you your alot of cash and time in jail plus petitioning to get back your RKBA. Kiss a permit goodbye forever at that point.

My opinion, do whatever you like, OC, CC, no carry... just dn't try and force a big brother/nanny state mentality down everyone elses throat about how they should or shouldn't be allowed to do things that cause no harm to anyone.

I've never had a bad OC experience here in Indiana. I've never had a single cop ask me for my license or ask any questions (except one asking me how I liked my XD, great conversation). My only 'confrontation', if it could even be called that, was with a cabelas employee (who had a carry permit) telling me OC wasn't legal... which was semi comical since I'd just walked past three hammond cops going into store and they just nodded at me. I walked him over to the three of them and and had him ask them his question. He said he'd had his LTCH for 10 years and had no idea. That one ended very positively.

Top Bottom