• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have purchased quite a few different items from them.Tried the bacon,hamburger,turkey,and chicken.I was becoming more curious about the products.In short I wanted to see the place and check if they had a retail store.

This is where the story begins.Try to find ANY information about a company named Yoders online.I will help you out.You can't. It is impossible because it does not exist other than a po box number in Ohio.

Well if Yoders does not exist where are all the Yoder products from,and how did they get the Yoders label?

Again I am glad you asked.After a few hours of searching I finally figured out how to narrow it down.Each can I have has a USDA meat processing number.Those numbers all lead to only one place. Order Online

In short someone out there has requested them to make a private label(they even advertise they will do this on there website)named Yoders.

Why does the label matter you ask? It doesn't :) Unless you want to pay more for the exact same product.

Yoders Hamburger $84.95 12 Cans/Case of fresh REAL Canned Hamburger/Ground Beef

OR directly from the source...
    $68.70 Homestyle Canned Meat 12-Pack (28 oz.)

The best part.If you order directly you can mix and match 12 cans of Chicken,Beef,Pork,Taco filling,Beef and Gravy(Yoders beef chunks),or Turkey....and save a good chunk of change.

So Yoders is simply Werling & Sons,inc under a private label,and yes they have a physical location and a retail store...in Ohio.Mystery solved.
    Welcome to Werling & Sons, Inc.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have purchased quite a few different items from them.Tried the bacon,hamburger,turkey,and chicken.I was becoming more curious about the products.In short I wanted to see the place and check if they had a retail store.

This is where the story begins.Try to find ANY information about a company named Yoders online.I will help you out.You can't. It is impossible because it does not exist other than a po box number in Ohio.

Well if Yoders does not exist where are all the Yoder products from,and how did they get the Yoders label?

Again I am glad you asked.After a few hours of searching I finally figured out how to narrow it down.Each can I have has a USDA meat processing number.Those numbers all lead to only one place. Order Online

In short someone out there has requested them to make a private label(they even advertise they will do this on there website)named Yoders.

Why does the label matter you ask? It doesn't :) Unless you want to pay more for the exact same product.

Yoders Hamburger $84.95 12 Cans/Case of fresh REAL Canned Hamburger/Ground Beef

OR directly from the source...
    $68.70 Homestyle Canned Meat 12-Pack (28 oz.)

The best part.If you order directly you can mix and match 12 cans of Chicken,Beef,Pork,Taco filling,Beef and Gravy(Yoders beef chunks),or Turkey....and save a good chunk of change.

So Yoders is simply Werling & Sons,inc under a private label,and yes they have a physical location and a retail store...in Ohio.Mystery solved.

On a side note.Who ever choose the name Yoders was no doubt trying to link the canned products to Yoders Meat and Cheese Company | Shipshewana Amish Family Owned | Grain Fed Beef, Organic foods, Hormone free meats a company right here in Indiana,but in no way related to the canned goods people are buying from places like MREdepot.
    In short save yourself some money and do not order "Yoders" get the same product and save a ton of money by buying from the source.

If anyone remembers the cans of Tactical Bacon.It was the same deal,just a Werling & Sons product with a private label.

IE every person who has purchased a Yoders canned meat product was scammed around 30% off of the top or more.Just buy from the source.

I just called Werling & Sons because I was curious why canned bacon was not on there website.They do indeed can bacon,and according to the gentleman I talked to on the phone are the ONLY company in the United States to do so.He could not give me a price though until Monday"The guys at the slaughter house left at noon,and I am not sure on the price of bacon it varies with the cost of pork.".
    INGO label bacon anyone lol?
    I will call Monday and get the price.

Last edited:

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    And as if the name thing isn't confusing enough, Yoder's in Shipshewana sells the other Yoder's canned meats in their store.

Good job on straightening it all out. I knew they were not the same company, but it is nice to know the whole story.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Good info, thanks.

Never bought these before. What is the stated shelf life? What is the actual shelf life? Couldn't find the answer on the website.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    On a side note.Who ever choose the name Yoders was no doubt trying to link the canned products to Yoders Meat and Cheese Company | Shipshewana Amish Family Owned | Grain Fed Beef, Organic foods, Hormone free meats a company right here in Indiana,but in no way related to the canned goods people are buying from places like MREdepot.
    In short save yourself some money and do not order "Yoders" get the same product and save a ton of money by buying from the source.

Doubt it, there's a lot of Amish named Yoder and more than a few in meat packing. There were several in the Pennsylvania Amish country around Lancaster.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Good info, thanks.

Never bought these before. What is the stated shelf life? What is the actual shelf life? Couldn't find the answer on the website.

Actually just cracked a can of Yoder's chicken chunks last night. Not great, not bad. If you've ever had Sweet Sue Chicken & Dumplings, it tastes about like the chicken in that product without the yummy dumplings.

Ingredients: Chicken, water, salt.

My understanding is the shelf life on these is pretty good. It's canned, it lasts forever ;)

EDIT: If we do an INGO bacon run, we should try to get permission to use the Zombie Response Team logo :yesway:

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Actually just cracked a can of Yoder's chicken chunks last night. Not great, not bad. If you've ever had Sweet Sue Chicken & Dumplings, it tastes about like the chicken in that product without the yummy dumplings.

Ingredients: Chicken, water, salt.

My understanding is the shelf life on these is pretty good. It's canned, it lasts forever ;)

EDIT: If we do an INGO bacon run, we should try to get permission to use the Zombie Response Team logo :yesway:

now thats a great idea. im sure he wouldnt mind if we gave him some bacon :):

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I ordered a mixed case of 28 oz cans on Saturday and it arrived Tuesday. Very quick service. Shipping was $18 which made the total cost about $7 a can. If you can find canned meat around here it's usually $4-5 for a 14-18 oz can so price is very comptetive.
    They did make one mistake, I ordered 2 cans pork, 5 cans each beef and chicken. I got 7 cans beef and 5 cans of chicken. I sent them an email late yesterday and am waiting a reply.
    I'll post a review once I use some.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Quick update, they offered to send the cans of pork no charge. Because they made the offer I declined.
    So far a positive experience. Now off to the dentist :(

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I can my own venison, beef, pork and chicken. I just can it in good old mason jars. We've eaten venison that was in the jar for three years and it was just fine. You MUST use a pressure canner.

One of the faves around our house is a quart jar of canned pork loin hunks, drained and shredded, and mixed with diced onion and BBQ sauce. It's great on anything.

We also LOVE vension chunks mixed with Cream of Mushroom soup and poured over egg noodles, or fresh biscuits. Loaded with carbohydrate goodness.

Can your own and save a bundle. Buy meat on sale and spend the day putting it up.

My canned fish experiments are not going so well.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just bought a case of Grabill Meats for $69.00 It was $63.00 last September, inflation or just prices going up? Buy what you can now. Canned meat can last years.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Update and review

So the UPS guy showed up on my doorstep this morning. As I was expecting nothing, I was intrigued.
    Much to my suprise it was a box from werlinger containing two 14 oz cans of cooked pork.
    The wife and I decided to try some out for lunch so here's the review.
    NOTE, Disclaimer, whatever: I am on antibiotics which is having an affect on my smell/taste. Therefore I had she who must be obeyed backstop me on my observations (that means I made her eat it too).
    So, my first thought on opening the can was "what's that smell?" checking with the wife, she said it smelled like spam. Looking at it, the can of meat looked vaguely like alpo, moist chucks of meat pressed together with liquid and some congealed fat.
    I dumped the contents into a bowl and nuked it for a minute and three fourths. Now it smelled like regular pork to me and the wife. without adding anything to it at all meat tasted like a very tender pork roast. I drained the liquid out of the bowl, I would guess there was about 3/4 cup of liquid in the can, my wife said that it would probably make good gravy base.
    We added BBQ sauce and made "pulled pork" sandwiches out of it. Overall it was very tender good quality meat. I was concerned that there may have been a lot of fat in the meat, but I encountered no fat or gristle at all.
    The wife said that she would be willing to use it on a "lazy day" instead of cooking a pork roast. Her suggestion was to put carrots, taters, etc. into a crock and then add a can (or two) of the meat about 20 minutes before the veggies were done.
    the ultimate test came later, after the daughter came home. I reheated the leftover meat and took her some. she is very hesitant to eat meat that I hand her, thinking that it's venison. After I convinced her that it wasn't venison she tried some and said, "so what about it?" I told her it was the canned meat, she said it was very good.
    My wife said that she would assume that the beef and chicken were the same good quality, she want to try some turkey.
    So, to recap:
    Price is very competitive with what is in the stores.
    Customer service is excellent, shipping was three days from when I placed the order on a Saturday to delivery.
    Taste/quality of the meat is excellent.
    In my opinon this is an excellent buy.
    I think the op deserves a +1 from everybody for finding a winner.:rockwoot::ingo:

Top Bottom