Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

A Silly Question

I have seen several people say they have stripped down MRE's in there survival bags, but I have no idea what that means. I did a search and did not seem to see an explanation of what a stripped MRE is, so can someone fill me in?

Open them up, remove all the extraneous packaging and stuff you don't use (heaters, etc). You can save a lot of weight and bulk that way.
    IWTFM Eternal vigilance is the price of chickens. JFC advocate.

Usually it means to remove all the extraneous packaging so you can carry more of the food parts with less weight. If you try hard you can get to about twice the food in the same amount of weight, but the usual ratio is that with all the packaging and extra utensils stripped out you can get the food of three MRE's into the space and weight of two non-stripped.
    Don't be an asshat.

Pretty much always looking to buy a Colt Combat or Lt.Weight Commander in 38 Super or 9mm

BTW, a strip of duct tape along the top all the way seals them back up nicely, it's almost as waterproof if you do it right.

Plinker
    Ok, that makes sense, but I have one additional question. I can understand getting rid of the utensils and extra packaging, but dont you need the heater?

HEATER? I'll have you know that back in the day we ate dehydrated pork patties cold!
    But seriously, there is no "need" to heat an mre, but it is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy219 View Post
    I'll go... But then again, I'll go either way.

Originally Posted by xfrostybeersx
    Hey now I'm on top of Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by piercedjp View Post
    Ok, that makes sense, but I have one additional question. I can understand getting rid of the utensils and extra packaging, but dont you need the heater?
    Need is a relative thing. If I'm on the move, I don't have time to deal with the heater. I usually stick the main meal in my pocket for 10-15 minutes so it least gets a little warmer. About the only ones I couldn't eat cold was the scrambled eggs *shudder*.

My experience setting up a lot of seminars with meal plans is that there are some folks out there who will eat whatever is presented, and there are a LOT of folks who are very picky eaters. Not only are there many foods they won't eat, they won't eat it if the food isn't presented just right, etc.

My philosophy is that if I am hungry enough, anything that does not run away fast enough could be food. I've also travelled enough to learn the habit of "if it tastes ok, eat it, and don't ask what it was."

How to Field Strip an MRE in 12 Easy Steps

Save space. Save weight. Easier access (pre-opened outer bat).

Weight savings in above example - 13.5 oz. - pretty significant.

Plinker
    I was just about to post that link to ITS tactical. I just watched that video the other day.

Keep the green gum tho. No one wants the "runs" while your running from zombies
    Rifleman 7/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast