• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    Has anyone w/o a basement considered a bolt down storm shelter? I would love to bolt one of these storm shelters down in the garage. I could even take it with me when we move out of the burbs.

PRODUCTS

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have not considered one of those, but I have been thinking seriously about an underground shelter. My property is pretty much flat, so I'm thinking of doing some digging. I would love to have a hill side to dig into and pour some concrete walls. That's about the only type of shelter I would feel 100% safe in during something like what we saw yesterday. I heard a tornado ripped up pavement on Hwy 60 in Washington Co. I'd much prefer to be under ground in that type of situation.

Last edited:

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    The units I have seen online are built to fema requirements. I don't remember the exact holding strength of the bolts. They were like 13" on center. I believe they start at like $5,000

US storm shelters starting at $3,000
    U.S. Storm Shelters and Safe Rooms

company in Lousiana called F-5 Storm Shelters
    F-5 Storm Shelters - Storm Shelters

Some of them also sell a premolded poly storm shelter that gets burried underground w/ a steel door flush w/ grade.

My backyard faces West the direction most of the high winds come from. When it gets bad, and it has for us I don't want to run outside w/ kids under each arm into the bad weather. That is why I am more interested in the garage bolt down type of shelter.

My situation in the burbs w/ a slab on grade foundation - get to the center of your house and pray is getting old

Last edited by a moderator:

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Eight months ago I ordered the 8'x10' version of this shelter.
    Home
    It is in the painting stage now and should be delivered soon.
    There was a backlog on them, seems the feds ordered quite a few.

This dealer also serves the southern end of the state.
    Integrity Storm Shelters • It is Where the Tri-State Goes When the Tornado Sirens Sound
    Similar pricing to my location, but I did not want to go underground.
    He was responsive and provided a quick quote.

I could not get U.S. Storm Shelters to return a call for a quote.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I wonder how a cargo container would hold up in a storm? Some of the smaller ones can be had for reasonable prices, and I would think they would work well when secured to a concrete pad.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    My situation in the burbs w/ a slab on grade foundation - get to the center of your house and pray is getting old

I was watching the weather channel and they had an interview from a TV weather guy from Oklahoma. He was talking about the big F5 they had years ago. He said that he was getting reports that basically said he felt the only safe area was underground.

The newer shelters are those where they cut a rectangle in your garage floor (or really any slab they could gain access too) and drop in a metal rectangle box with stairs.

12259485_BG3.jpg

12259485_BG1.jpg

flat5.jpg

Even these new style of shelters have underwent changes. Some have a full length door, while others have a partial door. Some have a chain driven system with a level system that can add so many pounds of force to assist in opening(in case someone drops down). Others are built so that if something (2'x4', fridge, etc) impacts the back portion causing a nice downward facing indention, the front portion that slides actually has a good clearance gap, or slides over the top of the back portion. Do some very good Google searching of companies.

One thing that has been noted is that if you have these put in your garage, consider the possibility of a chemical spill: Insecticides, gas, oil, etc.. Anything with serious fumes should be relocated to a mini-bar. I would worry about a gas tank rupture with vehicles if the hit was serious enough.

For a non-garage install, the best thing I can think of was to possibly add on a three season slab foundation room. Once the slab is set, cut into it and install such a shelter (or prior to pouring, have one of those plastic green shelters installed and pour the slab around the opening/door of the shelter??). Then add the walls and roof to the sun room.

Since you discussed moving, I can understand not wanting to install a permanent structure. However, I would think that anyone who looked at your home would likely demand the tornado shelter stay if it was bolted into a cement floor. They might not care, but unless you remove it prior to selling, what happens when they find out a huge crack formed? Could be some issues with the selling of the home.

My backyard faces West the direction most of the high winds come from. When it gets bad, and it has for us I don't want to run outside w/ kids under each arm into the bad weather. That is why I am more interested in the garage bolt down type of shelter.

You should never wait that long. First off, I would recommend a cheap $20ish dollar Radio Shack scanner. Put in the Skywarn frequencies from the counties to your west, in addition to your county. You will also have the NWS main frequency included. This will give you the first hand reports of just how bad things are that are heading your way. Central Indiana Skywarn Repeaters | Central Indiana Skywarn

Weather radios should be set to give warnings two counties out for tornadoes.

I always suggest parking garages as likely places of shelter if no basements are available. Most parking garages are very strong, and I don't even know if an EF 5 could tear one down. Since you are on the east side, I think the nearest parking garage would likely be the one at Community East Hospital. If you have plenty of time, take a trip downtown, many parking garages down there and over at IUPUI. IUPUI even has buildings open to the public that have basements.

Some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPl10IQyHLU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcWX-bGhvtY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbqzbfSavgc

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    It's all about trade offs.....

With the below garage type, there is not a second form of egress, and the building might be on top of you.
    With any below ground unit water may be a problem.
    With any above ground unit, it won't offer as much protection.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    It's all about trade offs.....

With the below garage type, there is not a second form of egress, and the building might be on top of you.
    With any below ground unit water may be a problem.
    With any above ground unit, it won't offer as much protection.
    That was my thought. I think I would much rather have an above ground shelter that can be seen, than a below ground shelter that could get covered and overlooked.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've often thought of having a steel or concrete shelter built above grade, then having dirt brought in and dumped around and over it. Once again, a hillside to dig into and build in would be ideal, it seems, as you would avoid the water problem, for the most part.

I also feel your shelter should have enough space for food, water, extra clothing, and maybe a few extra people.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Anything is better than nothing. I've seen a number of those outdoor, drop-in-a-hole shelters put in. And I've wondered how likely those people are to use them. It's all well and good if you have plenty of warning and you know if you don't go you might die (like that F-5 tornado in Moore, OK). On the other hand, if it's at night when that weather radio goes off and its raining and all you know is there is might be a "Doppler indicated" tornado, are you as likely to leave your nice comfortable house to that dark, cold, wet trek out to your shelter?

I'd bet most people will be likely to go to their shelters if they can do it from inside their homes. The house we live in now has a basement. When that radio goes off and if the storm sounds like its heading our way, we're pretty quick to head on down. If we had to get dressed, put shoes on, etc. to go outside, I doubt we'd be going out there very often.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I also feel your shelter should have enough space for food, water, extra clothing, and maybe a few extra people.

If you have an outdoor accessed shelter and neighbors, you'd better be ok with the idea of your neighbors sharing your shelter. (or if its kinda small, running them out if they're there before you).

My mom had a neighbor with one of those home built, hillside shelters. One night while I was visiting, a tornado came through the area. We went to the neighbor's shelter and guess what? Everybody else in that area had the same idea. Fortunately Mr, Tedford was a very generous ole guy and there was plenty of room and more importantly, the tornado missed us that night.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I'm looking for one of those underground shelters.

My kids HATE me during storm season and this is why: I've seen the F5 that blew thru Oklahoma on May 3rd several years ago (think it was '99?), took my brother's home, it plowed up the sod in his neighborhood and deposited his neighbor's conversion van several blocks away.

I've also had to hike into my son's sitters neighborhood after leaving work and an F3 tornado beat me to him. I knew they were safe underground but looking for him in heels just sucked. I now carry hiking boots in the car on days the storms are supposed to hit. My whole family goes over "the plan" for if a storm hits. When tornadoes hit you can't use cell phones, land lines are iffy (but won't work if the phone is cordless) so you gotta know where your family is and where they are headed. My house gets the storm make over where all the important papers, BOB, pictures, water and high calorie snacks and things go into the shelter whether we are there or not. If we are home when one is headed our way (even if it is 2am) everyone has long pants on, socks and shoes, and their jackets are handy. Think of putting your entire home in a blender and then throwing a person in the midst of that mess...walking through a neighborhood that has seen a touchdown in sock feet just won't work and if it hits your house...your shoes won't be where you left them.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

My kids HATE me during storm season and this is why: I've seen the F5 that blew thru Oklahoma on May 3rd several years ago (think it was '99?), took my brother's home, it plowed up the sod in his neighborhood and deposited his neighbor's conversion van several blocks away.

I've also had to hike into my son's sitters neighborhood after leaving work and an F3 tornado beat me to him. I knew they were safe underground but looking for him in heels just sucked. I now carry hiking boots in the car on days the storms are supposed to hit. My whole family goes over "the plan" for if a storm hits. When tornadoes hit you can't use cell phones, land lines are iffy (but won't work if the phone is cordless) so you gotta know where your family is and where they are headed. My house gets the storm make over where all the important papers, BOB, pictures, water and high calorie snacks and things go into the shelter whether we are there or not. If we are home when one is headed our way (even if it is 2am) everyone has long pants on, socks and shoes, and their jackets are handy. Think of putting your entire home in a blender and then throwing a person in the midst of that mess...walking through a neighborhood that has seen a touchdown in sock feet just won't work and if it hits your house...your shoes won't be where you left them.
    These are all great points! And, I might add, points that I never really considered, until the Memorial day tornadoes in 2004. Had the tornado that hit my house been any stronger than it was, I would most likely be dead. I had seen to it my wife and kids were down stairs, but I was gathering stuff I thought we might need, and did not make it to the basement until the tornado had done its damage and gone. I now have everything, and then some some, in my cellar, or bagged up and ready to grab at a moments notice. Fridays storms were worse than 2004, but I was prepared. That's a good feeling.:yesway:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

That's similar to what we do. If its going to be iffy, the kids sleep downstairs, right outside our bedroom and literally a step or two from the basement steps. Clothes, shoes, wallets, a firearm or two, flashlights, radios", etc. are prestaged in the basement. Ive never had to do it, but trying to walk out of a destroyed house in your underwear and bare feet would not be pretty (in more ways than one:))

Top Bottom