• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Experts, please! I had a power outage and was running a couple of sump pumps. It went a couple of hours or so without a hitch.

At some point, the rotor/stator stopped producing electrical output. Never had this issue before.

I read that you can tickle it with a 12 voilt battery connected to an outlet on the gen. Not sure about doing that.

Any ideas?

TYIA.

Stocks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did you pop the circuit protection. Is there an internal safety or fuse. What kind/type genny
    Need more info.
    Not sure what you mean about the 12 volt thing. Your genny should not need to be polarized as that is for old style car genny's.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are breakers (resets) on the generator itself, too.

I've found myself looking at everything but the generator before I realized it peaked at some point.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    try one pump then work your way up. Does the voltage and HZ (frequency) match what they should be?

If the motor runs but no power, and all the switches and resets are correct, I'd say the gen is the issue and call the mfr or local repair center.

What is the rating and surge rating on the gen?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Bad rectifier diodes? Try it on something besides your sump pumps...perhaps the 110AC to 12DC power supplies on the pumps got toasted.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I agree, fire it up and put the VOM on it and see what you have output wise. If nothing then start digging. Make sure everything turns, read the directions and make sure there isn't a inline fuse.

If you have 2 sumps hooked to it, perhaps they both kicked on at the same time and caused a peak and popped something.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Had luck putting 12 volts to the brushes to re-energize the capacitor and get it producing voltage before. + on one brush lead - on the other. Have also had 2 with wires broken on the stator. Fixed one by shortening the wire, butt connecting it together, and electrical taped it to the rotor. Father in laws run it many times since with no issues.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    If you have a lot of hours on the generator and it's one of the older type (as opposed to the new inverter units), the brushes will fail after as few as 200 hours runtime. If all else fails, check your brushes.

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Hey LS&B, what was the cure? Was it something that could be prevented in the future?
    no offense buy a quality generator ! which are hard to find anymore new w/o spending 10-20k$ so the 2nd option is find a good used older generator onan kohler etc. back when they didnt have bean counters looking at the bottom line and they made good solid quality products ! I like the older onans no circuit boards just 2 relays and 1 diode very simple and last for 1000's of hrs

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    no offense buy a quality generator ! which are hard to find anymore new w/o spending 10-20k$ so the 2nd option is find a good used older generator onan kohler etc. back when they didnt have bean counters looking at the bottom line and they made good solid quality products ! I like the older onans no circuit boards just 2 relays and 1 diode very simple and last for 1000's of hrs

Thanks for the help.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    How old is the generator? Powermate has a service center here in Brownsburg. I'll pull the address at work later and add it to this post.

Top Bottom