Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Marksman

Emergency Food Recommendations

I'm looking for some advice on different types of emergency rations. The situation I'm planning for is something along the lines of a natural disaster that involves the loss of one or more major utilities (water and/or power) and the inability to obtain food from my local grocery store for three days. I live by myself in a small apartment, so space is an issue, as is money.

Essentially, I want something that I can throw in my closet and more or less forget about until I need to use it.

Originally I was thinking of picking up some MRE's, but after researching them I've heard lots of mixed reviews. I like the idea of having a chemical heater included with every meal and having the meals come already hydrated. I'm not so crazy about the things that these will (allegedly) do to your digestive system. Then again, my plan only accounts for three days of eating this food.

I looked into some dehydrated meals (such as Mountain House), but I don't like the added complications of the extra water and external heat source needed to re-hydrate the meals. There are flameless heaters available (like this one) but I don't like the limited number of uses. On the other hand, they seem to get much higher reviews regarding taste and the whole not messing with your digestive system thing.

The final option I've considered would be to keep some non perishables and canned foods on hand (nothing special, just from the grocery store). However, heating them would require some kind of camping stove and it would be more difficult to create distinct meals. I'm just one guy, and I really don't care for my dinner to be an entire can of corn.

Again, the purpose of this food is to nourish me as I hunker down in my apartment and wait for utilities to be restored. I won't be out camping and exerting myself all day, just laying low at home. I won't be making a fire to cook food; using a small camp stove or something similar on top of my stove is about as flammable as I'm looking to go.

To boil it down, my questions are as follows:
    • Are MRE's really that bad for you to eat, even for just a couple days?
    • Are dehydrated meals worth the extra hassle of storing the extra water and finding an external heat source?
    • Are canned and non-perishable foods worth the reduced cost?
    • Is there anything else I may have overlooked that you could recommend to me?

Thanks
    I may be paranoid, but I am also still alive.

Plinker
    MRE's taste pretty good from what I have had and are nice because of the chemical heater. From what I understand they aren't "bad" for you but you shouldn't live off them.

As far as canned goods go you can get something simple like spam or tuna and they don't need to be heated.

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcolson181 View Post
    As far as canned goods go you can get something simple like spam or tuna and they don't need to be heated.
    True, but since the other two options I listed included a heating method I figured I would like to include it with canned foods to level the playing field and make for a better direct comparison.

Plinker
    You seriously dont have 3 days worth of food at home ?

I lived off mre's for about a month at a time during a deployment to panama then later afghanistan , too expensive and better options available if your at home and dont have to carry it with you . 10 cans of spaghetti o's would get you through 3 days and cost about $7 A 25 lb bag of rice and some canned meats /fruits would get you through a month . To cook rice or noodles use a cook stove to boil the water pour water and noodles or rice in a thermos and cap it and let it sit .

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by kycrawler View Post
    You seriously dont have 3 days worth of food at home ?
    I usually have three days worth of food at home. I should have mentioned that this is a college apartment. While I could probably survive off the food remaining in my pantry, there is also a possibility of a storm coming through when I'm out of groceries. That's why I'd like to have a few days of rations in my closet; just in case.

Here are a few items that can easily be stored and used in an emergency. These require little or no cooking. If you want to heat your food then get a couple of small cans of sterno fuel. There are of course more nutritious options, but these are easy to prepare, low cost and you're only talking about a few days.

Peanut Butter
    Saltine Crackers
    Ritz Crackers
    Canned Tuna
    Beanie Weenies
    Pork & Beans
    Spaghetti O's
    Quaker Quick Oats
    Clif Bars
    Energy Bars
    Breakfast Bars
    Sports Drinks
    Bottled Water
    Graham Crackers
    Vanilla Wafers
    Canned Beef Stew
    Canned Soup
    Pretzels
    Fritos Corn Chips
    And of course, ramen noodles!

It is of course recommended that you eat what you store and store what you eat. This makes rotating your emergency food easier.

I saw walmart is now selling 5 gallon buckets full of prep food for around 60-70 bucks. Supposed to last 25 years in the bucket. didn't read much more than that when going by.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Here are a few items that can easily be stored and used in an emergency. These require little or no cooking. If you want to heat your food then get a couple of small cans of sterno fuel. There are of course more nutritious options, but these are easy to prepare, low cost and you're only talking about a few days.

Peanut Butter
    Saltine Crackers
    Ritz Crackers
    Canned Tuna
    Beanie Weenies
    Pork & Beans
    Spaghetti O's with meat balls (protein with carbs)
    Quaker Quick Oats
    Clif Bars
    Energy Bars
    Breakfast Bars
    Sports Drinks
    Bottled Water
    Graham Crackers
    Vanilla Wafers
    Canned Beef Stew
    Canned Soup
    Pretzels
    Fritos Corn Chips
    And of course, ramen noodles!
    Beef Ravioli
    Soups that are not condensed - progreso soups

It is of course recommended that you eat what you store and store what you eat. This makes rotating your emergency food easier.
    I personally would just keep these items with the rest of my food and only store a few cases of bottled water in the closet if you're only looking for a few extra days supply on hand.
    ANY attack against the Constitution is an act of terrorism and should be dealt with accordingly.

Shooter
    My favorite so far is the individual tuna/salmon packs, which are good for a few years, and don't need heated. They taste great and make a healthy meal by themselves.

Sharpshooter
    Good list Justincase! Have a lot with minimal cost. Keep a small gas grill and /or hibachi with charcoal, and you have a picnic! Frozen burgers, steaks, chops can all go into a cooler w/snow to maintain. Watch your mayo stuff though, can turn quickly. During the last 5 day power outage we cooked, played board games, read books, and heated our home with a vent free nat gas fireplace. Was better than going to Turkey Run for a weekend. Note: our towns water wells were also not working, so melt snow when needed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast