• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm looking for some new prep/SHTF fiction to read. Anything new and fresh?

I've read Lights Out, which was fantastic. Crawford's latest (Collision Course) got some pretty rough reviews, so I haven't tried it yet.

One Second After (Forstchen) was quit good.

I also really enjoyed Adrian's Undead Diary (Adrian's Undead Diary Journal Home) and The Union Creek Journal (The Union Creek Journal | A Chronicle of Survival). Jerry Young's stuff (I found on whenshtf.com) is also pretty good.

Anything along these lines that is new/fresh or I've missed?

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    I'm a big fan of SHTF / dystopian / apocalyptic fiction. Not new and fresh, but here are some favorites I can think of off the top of my head.

James Westley Rawles - Patriots series.
    Patriots Novels Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jerry Ahern - The Survivalist series. (have not read all of them yet. on 3 now)
    The Survivalist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Got some more prepper themed books at home I have purchased through alternative channels. Just cannot remember the authors off the top of my head. Will post them later.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I haven't read any Peretti. I'll check him out.

Forgot about Rawles! I haven't read any of his stuff yet. That should keep me busy for a few weeks.....

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Jerry Ahern - The Survivalist series. (have not read all of them yet. on 3 now)
    The Survivalist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Got some more prepper themed books at home I have purchased through alternative channels. Just cannot remember the authors off the top of my head. Will post them later.[/QUOTE]

Ahern's books are pretty cool, you can tell a true gun guy wrtoe them.....1980's time frame, but thats what got me into Detonic handguns, and AG Russell sting knives, lol. Cool read for sure

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not new, but you could try William W. Johnstone's "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=william%20w.%20johnstone%20ashes%20series&sprefix=william+w.+%2Caps%2C193"]Ashes[/ame]" series. Buy them used off of Amazon or the like. They were a great 80's 90's series. Bill died a few years back, so if you see anything with his name on it from the 2000's it's not him, and you can tell. Might not be new, but could be new to you.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    If you liked "Lights Out" and "One Second After", some other good choices in this genre include: "Collision Course" by David Crawford, "Danielle Kidnapped" by John Silveria, and "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matthew Bracken.

There are lots of new books in this market, but alot of them could have used some serious editting. In my opinion, the above list is pretty solid and were well written.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Earth Abides was some what slow and rather dated. Didn't enjoy it as much as Lights Out or UCJ. Alas Babylon wasn't bad either. The Road was just depressing. The teaser chapters from Enemies Foreign and Domestic look interesting. One Second After also very good. Unintended Consequences was rather long and slow in places, very dramatic in others.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    I'm looking for some new prep/SHTF fiction to read. Anything new and fresh?

Ok. Most of the ones I would mention already have been. Here is one that I got recently and really really enjoyed. As well as a case of bunker envy. I would so love to have a homestead like in this book.

Selena Rosen -How I Spent the Apocalypse.
    I purchased my electronic copy from here. You can also read a bit of the book for free online to see for yourself.
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/95172#longdescr

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    Holding their own series (terrorist attack, economic collapse, new gov't vs old) by Joe Nobody. I'm finished with them if your interested.

picture.php

Also Ashfall and Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin (survival of volcanic eruption)

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't have any SHTF fiction to recommend, but since history tends to repeat itself, perhaps give some historical fiction a try.

I'm a big fan of Harry Turtledove especially Guns Of The South
    And the book Traveller by Richard Adams

Top Bottom