• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    If it's sold at walmart I don't want it in my survival pack.

Edit: ok, so my first comment was before I even looked at it. After looking at it - it's a total waste of money and I don't want it, just like every other 'pre-made' pack I've seen. Overpriced with stuff that just doesn't hit all the right spots. IMHO - Big time pass.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Not bad for 3 day BASIC survival kit if you plan on sitting where you are and waiting for help. With the water supply included, there's no way that would be enough for a 3 day hike especially in the summer months. Depending on the quality of the bag, it might not be a bad buy. Personally I'd remove the food and water then add a few more medical supplies to make it a better first aid kit that would attach to my get home bag.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    The bag is fairly good. I agree it is not super sufficient for 3 days, but I would not say it would be a bad bag to throw in the car.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think it's a great bag because the people who are going to buy it are not people who already have BOB's and other preps. They are everyday people with no preps who walk by and think maybe I should have something like that. Then they will start their way to being prepared for a situation. Just my thoughts

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    YGL - I understand you point but from what I've seen is people will not use this as a 'start' but an 'end'.

"Hey, I got my 3 day BOB, I'm set for the end of the world!"

They think that this bag will get them through whatever comes up - when it is woefully inadequate for that, even for 3 days.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Ok, so I went to B-burg Wal-Mart to buy one of these so I could check it out. For some reason they've already been pulled from the shelves and they had to go into the back and grab one. The kit can't really be that old because the water and rations were stamped MFG 09/13 Exp 09/18. The employee that helped me said it didn't show a reason in the "system" why it was pulled so she went ahead and sold it to me.

I get it home, open it up, pull everything out and look it over. The bag looks and feels like the quality of the Fox 3 day "Assault Bag" I have. I spread out everything else and did a quick run down on Amazon to see what some of the items cost there (without shipping and rounded).

$08.00 in SOS. Rations Emergency 2400 Calorie Food Bars (6). Amazon sell them as 3 Day Package with 9 bars for $12.00
    $05.00 in SOS Emergency Water Packets (6) - Amazon sells them as 3 Day Supply (12 Packets) for $10.00.

$02.00 LED flashlight
    $02.00 Energizer AA Batteries (2-Pack)
    $01.00 Emergency Poncho
    $01.00 Emergency blanket
    $01.00 Emergency whistle
    $08.00 First aid Boo Boo kit. (Closest kit I could find to what's in the bag)
    $01.00 Packet of Hot Hands
    $01.00 Glow Stick

$30.00 in supplies leaving $05.00 for the bag. Not a bad deal but could be better.

Since Camillus cut back on the rations in the bag, it's NOT a 3 day bag by SOS Rations standards. It has 1 1/2 days of water rations and 2 days of food rations. On the plus side there are 3 extra pockets on the bag with the room to really make it a 3 day bag.

I'm planning on adding some quick clot to the bag, a Glock 17 mag or two, and modifying the first aid kit then hiding it in the wifes car as a get home bag since I can't talk her into keeping some kind of "real" emergency kit/bag/GHB in her car.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    The bag looks and feels like the quality of the Fox 3 day "Assault Bag" I have.

Can you expand on this? Is it worth the $7ish it 'cost', is it cheap and flimsy - bad seams or zippers, or does it feel decently rugged?

Thanks a lot for the great breakdown! Really helps the review of it, although I would probably still recommend buying a good quality bag (which this MAY be decently quality enough?) with a better flashlight and food, etc. The bag sounds like it might be a decent deal, but for the same or a little more you might be able to do a lot better?

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I wanna know where you can find the bag for $7. lol The cheapest I've ever seen this style of bag was $20, so just figuring that into the system it really isn't a bad deal IMO. I've got a similar setup to this I made based off of the original knock off of the Maxpedition Proteus that I've had for a few years.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Can you expand on this? Is it worth the $7ish it 'cost', is it cheap and flimsy - bad seams or zippers, or does it feel decently rugged?

Thanks a lot for the great breakdown! Really helps the review of it, although I would probably still recommend buying a good quality bag (which this MAY be decently quality enough?) with a better flashlight and food, etc. The bag sounds like it might be a decent deal, but for the same or a little more you might be able to do a lot better?

I forgot two items from the bag so I edited my original post which brought the cost of the bag itself down to $5.00.

The material seems pretty rugged. It should be able to take some abuse. The zippers on it are the larger heavy duty type. The stitching on the seams look good for the most part (Not an expert on sewing). The back of the bag has 5 quick-attach MOLLE straps. It also comes with a strap so you can carry it on your shoulder if needed. My personal opinion, I'd pay up to $10.00 for the empty bag.

I am going to throw in another emergency blanket (for possible shelter), some duck tape wrapped around an old gift card, about 10' of para cord, a small Leatherman tool, a magnesium bar and a tinder stick or two. I did swap out the plastic flash light for a metal one that runs on 1 AA and has a high/low/strobe feature.

For the cost, size, and what I'm using it for, I'm happy with the cost. It's going to be tucked away in the wife's Edge, where she can't see it since she doesn't really want one of the bags I've put together in there. I'd like to have something in there for us to fall back on if we really need it. She doesn't realize that 6 miles in the snow or rain is a long way to walk should something happen and she can't get help. She thinks either I or someone from her work is always going to be able to come get her.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Yep, I told you it was not all that bad for what it is. I agre it is not a 3 day bag, but a get home/light emergency bag, it is not too bad.

Top Bottom