Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Review: Strap on ice cleats

I'm way behind on my run schedule, because my major believes it is an unrealistic expectation to clear "side" streets of snow and ice. As such, my street is two goals and a zamboni away from being the city's new hockey arena. This makes it hazardous to walk to the mailbox on the other side of the street, let alone run. So, I decided to do something about it. Given the blizzards and ice we occasionally face, I figured this was a reasonable forum for my review.

The product is called "Due North All Purpose Traction Aids, and I bought them from Amazon here: Amazon.com: Due North Allpurposeng-MED All Purpose Ice Traction Aid, Medium: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I strapped them over my 5.11 winter duty boots:

The bottom:

Then I proceeded to run 1.95 miles in them. I was as sure footed as a mountain goat. They stuck to ice that was mirror smooth with a light pool of moisture on top (the slickest of slick ice), they stuck fine to rutted ice, they stuck fine on uneven and lumpy ice. When I crossed a main road that was dry, they weren't slippery feeling like walking on athletic cleats. You could hear the spikes click, though.

They seem to be durable and of high quality. The rubber is thick and tough, and the spikes are tungsten-carbide per the packaging. It comes with two spare spikes in case you lose one.

Getting them on takes a little work, as the rubber is thick and once its on, it doesn't want to move, so make sure you get the toe on straight before strapping on the heel. They stay on the boots just fine on or off your feet.

When not on your boots, they are easy to roll up into a ball slightly smaller than my fist. It'd be easy to store a pair or two in a BUG, glove box, wherever, and then any shoe can instantly be high traction on ice.
    HoughMade says: Not just lawyers....bearded, manly man, lawyers.

I have a pair in the car and the truck and one set in my winter go-bag.
    IWTFM Eternal vigilance is the price of chickens. JFC advocate.

Been interested in them for a few years, this is the first year in several that I could actually USE them in my everyday doings. Thanks for the review, I'll grab at least one pair!
    Though it's just a memory
    Some memories last forever- RUSH- Lakeside Park

Wife wears those when she walks out to get the mail.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

I have something similar but mine are more of a coil spring set up. Not as aggressive but they are better for the transition indoors. Had no problem on ice with them.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Quote Originally Posted by snorko View Post
    I have something similar but mine are more of a coil spring set up. Not as aggressive but they are better for the transition indoors. Had no problem on ice with them.
    Sounds like Yak-Trax. Work requires them in icey/snowy conditions and they do work VERY well. They're hell on hardwood floors tough if you forget you're wearing them. I haven't tried running in them, but I'm not exactly a 'runner'.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMAN23C View Post
    all hail chez, all hail chez!
    Forty-six and two ahead of me.

Plinker
    Quote Originally Posted by chezuki View Post
    Sounds like Yak-Trax. Work requires them in icey/snowy conditions and they do work VERY well. They're hell on hardwood floors tough if you forget you're wearing them. I haven't tried running in them, but I'm not exactly a 'runner'.
    Yep, definitely yaktrax or a knockoff (I assume yaxtrax was first, but very well could be wrong), I own two pair. I had mine and used them a decent amount walking the dog, and bought a pair for my wife. Like the ones reviewed here they are hard to install due to thick rubber. When we got my wife's she was carrying kids to the car and our sidewalk was getting icy. We put them on a spare pair of boots that she wore when she was carrying the kids. Then she could change shoes or take a spare pair with her to change into if there was no ice. She wore them quite a bit.

I do NOT think they are good for running. I haven't run in them much, but on hard pavement / packed ice you CAN run if you have to, but for recreational running I don't think I'd choose to do that. They are GREAT for walking and making sure you don't slip and fall. I don't think they are as likely to scratch up tile or dig into wood, but being metal, you ARE going to scratch the wood up more than likely. I wore them in to stores on multiple occasions and didn't notice scratches, but if you have a tile floor in your entry way I would make sure to stay on a rug if you wear them frequently. I keep my pair in my car winter emergency kit.

We may be getting ice this weekend, maybe I'll go for a run (a couple hundred yards, I'm NOT a runner), but I don't think they are the BEST option for running.

Edit: I wear size 9-10 depending on the shoes. I followed the sizing guide by yaxtrax and they are EASY to fit over tennis shoes, moderate on my normal boots, and fairly hard on the heavy, thick winter boots.
    Last edited by Spudgunr; 01-31-2014 at 19:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Guy_77 View Post
    Thanks for the review of your strap-ons!

HoughMade says: Not just lawyers....bearded, manly man, lawyers.

Thanks for the review BBI.
    i was going to ask for a pic without the boot, but i see a pic on the amazon link.
    They kinda blend in on your pics.

But ive added these to my wishlist.
    Now i need some snowshoes.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast