• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I am working on my SHTF stockpile for .40 (My 12ga and .223 are to where i feel comfortable, for now) and i was wondering, what does INGO feel is more important to stock up on? FMJ? (if so, why?) JHP (if so, why?)

I'm leaning more towards the FMJ because you can buy a higher quantity at the same price as a lower amount of JHP...

What is your two cents??? :ingo:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    FMJ - HPs are too expensive to stock up on in my book. Also for rifle rounds, I do not think it matters as much. Yes, I know some of the HPs, SPs and other variants may do more damage overall, but for the money, I think FMJs are just way too much cheaper to even think of HPs, unless you are just that loaded.

EDC - agree HPs the way to go.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I try and keep at least a couple hundred rounds of hollowpoint ammo. At the moment I think I have about 100 rounds of higher quality stuff (Hornady, Powerball, etc) and then about 200 rounds of your basic WWB JHPs or Federal JHPs. Those can usually be found for decent prices in 50 round boxes. Most of what I have, however, is FMJs.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If SHTF includes Blue helmets…you better use fmj ammo. Hollow points against a uniformed enemy is a war crime, and you could be hanged. Of course shooting at a U.S.G.I. is an act of rebellion, and they'll and they'll probably hang you anyhow. I'd buy the fmj ammo and learn to reload the other stuff for hunting and 'brigands'….
    It doesn't matter against zombies, as you have to hit them in the head….

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back in the day when 9MM was $10 or less for 50rds of brass cased factory ammo I bought that and stacked it deep. Once the price got out of hand I reloaded 9mm ammo using a JHP bullet. I figure if I'm taking the time to do it, I'll pay the extra $10 and get a better bullet. All of that ammo is for the stockpile. If the poo really hit the fan I feel just fine with 100rds of factory self defense ammo at a minimum. FMJ will always still work just fine if you need it to, it's just that the JHP may work a little better. Plink with cheap stuff, carry the real deal.

trailman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Back in the day when 9MM was $10 or less for 50rds of brass cased factory ammo I bought that and stacked it deep. Once the price got out of hand I reloaded 9mm ammo using a JHP bullet. I figure if I'm taking the time to do it, I'll pay the extra $10 and get a better bullet. All of that ammo is for the stockpile. If the poo really hit the fan I feel just fine with 100rds of factory self defense ammo at a minimum. FMJ will always still work just fine if you need it to, it's just that the JHP may work a little better. Plink with cheap stuff, carry the real deal.

I lucked across a deal on a few cases of Winchester Ranger 147g JHP a while back that we keep for PDAmmo. My reasoning is that we use the cheaper FMJ for training and keep the the rifle, handgun knife order of battle in tact. We've standardized on 9mm and if I get to the point of having to draw my handgun I want unload as much intertia into the target as possbile.

Blue hats, :):, if it get to that point your gonna get hanged no matter what.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    If SHTF includes Blue helmets…you better use fmj ammo. Hollow points against a uniformed enemy is a war crime, and you could be hanged. Of course shooting at a U.S.G.I. is an act of rebellion, and they'll and they'll probably hang you anyhow. I'd buy the fmj ammo and learn to reload the other stuff for hunting and 'brigands'….
    It doesn't matter against zombies, as you have to hit them in the head….

Ummm Nope. I don't recall ever signing any agreement personally that limits what types of ammo I can use. I will use whatever I have on hand if needed. Show me where it says ANYWHERE that if I an individual uses anything but FMJ that I will be guilty of 'war crimes'.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom