• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    Ok, this may sound a little funny, but I'm contemplating fabricating a bullet resistant shield to keep under the bed. It would primarily serve as last resort protection for my wife to cower behind in event of shtf. Or alternatively, I would find it amusing to practice shooting one handed with. I'm thinking laminate kevlar and steel. Thoughts, ideas, anything similar out there?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I don't think it sounds funny at all. If you have access to the materials I would encourage you to experiment & show us your results (and ballistic tests!).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Got a master bathroom? You could fortify the tub. Steel tub, pack the hollow cavity with clay, I bet it'd be pretty darned effective. Hopping in the tub would also be easier than trying to cower behind some sort of tower shield.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Got a master bathroom? You could fortify the tub. Steel tub, pack the hollow cavity with clay, I bet it'd be pretty darned effective. Hopping in the tub would also be easier than trying to cower behind some sort of tower shield.

I think a top shield may also be needed in that case, or else whoever is in the tub would be only 75% protected.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Ok, this may sound a little funny, but I'm contemplating fabricating a bullet resistant shield to keep under the bed. It would primarily serve as last resort protection for my wife to cower behind in event of shtf. Or alternatively, I would find it amusing to practice shooting one handed with. I'm thinking laminate kevlar and steel. Thoughts, ideas, anything similar out there?
    Yeah, I have a thought.

I think you're wife is gonna get pretty damn mad if you're practicing shooting one-handed at that shield while said gentle lady is 'cowering behind it'! :lmfao:

Yep, the S is gonna HTF, alright! :rofl:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The idea is.... well.... "different." I won't knock it because its better to have it than not if you need it.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I have previously entertained similar ideas, more along the lines of reinforcing/armoring the back of some pieces of furniture such as a dresser to provide a source of cover for an in home strong point. Mobility of such isn't really necessary given my HD plan, but it would be reassuring for my wife to have solid cover to be behind if someone should choose to violate the wrong home in the middle of the night...

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    1/4 " boiler plate under the box spring ...reinforce the frame for the weight ...when the door is kicked in you roll under the bed and grab your short barreled shot gun and blow their feet off....then when they fall down...OK, you get the picture.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington

Why would you need to fabricate it? These are readily available already, albeit quite expensive (and many dealers will not sell to non-military or non-law enforcement).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Cowering is not allowed in my home.

My wife has been trained that her last resort move is to lie on her back, knees up and toward the threat. Pistol between the knees with the lower legs to stop incoming bullets while she neutralizes the threat with accurate fire.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Cowering is not allowed in my home.

My wife has been trained that her last resort move is to lie on her back, knees up and toward the threat. Pistol between the knees with the lower legs to stop incoming bullets while she neutralizes the threat with accurate fire.

Smart move. We do it a little different. My wife has been trained to say "Honey, get your gun".

Top Bottom