• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So I have been thinking lately, whenever I read post on this forum i always read things like how much food should I have, how much ammo, batteries, guns, ect. The things we always think about that will help us. But I got to thinking, as important as these things are, there are so many more things that are vital to our survival. Or at least will make survival easier.

With this being good ole Indiana, who stock extra comforters/heavy blankets for winter. If we had a prolonged power outage and a winter like we just went through, your going to need extra blankets to keep warm. Fireplaces and wood stoves can only do so much, and when it its the negatives like we had, its going to take its toll on us. Im sure theres some of you who have your house fortified enough to last a winter in Alaska, but some of us do not. To those, do you ever go to yard sales, thrift shops just to buy cheap but heavy blankets to layer on?

Another one I never hear people talk about, or at least rarely is clothing. Im not talking your BDU's and all that, but everyday clothes, like when you need to be the "grey man." Lets face it, clothes wear out. Especially because we will most likely be working harder, wrenching more things, cutting more wood, just moving around more as survival will entail. So who buys extra jeans and t-shirts in order to be prepared for not being able to just go buy another pair? Also, another thing to think about is you might want to buy a size smaller than what you wear to compensate for weight loss. Whether you like it or not, in a prolonged SHTF situation, your going to loose weight from working harder and a more rationed diet. And if not for those things, probably the stress alone will cause you to shed a few.

So who here picks up these things? Im sure there are many of you who do, and for those people what else do you pick up that aren't commonly discussed items that will go a long with in SHTF?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Lots and lots of socks. Extra boots. Gloves. Wool blankets. Matches. Toothbrushes. Can openers. Sewing kit. Sun/safety glasses. Fingernail clippers.

EDIT TO ADD....

Shoelaces, mink oil. Bug spray. sharpening stones. rain gear.

I keep trying to cover all those little things that we take for granted but might become unavailable at some point.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    How about iodine tablets for the dirty bomb?
    Got that one covered. I opted for the thyroidectomy option. More expensive, but it's so much fun to say.

Feminine hygiene if'n it ain't a bachelor pad. If you aren't going to go old school, you'd better stock up on the disposable kind.

Candles. Books.

Fireplaces can actually do more than one would think. My mom lost power last winter during the coldest of the cold for 4 days. Her fireplace insert sans blower kept her big open log home with a crap ton of big windows and sliders a toasty 55 degrees. I could kick her for such an inefficient house plan, but if a fireplace insert can keep her house that warm for that long with nothing but ambient air circulation to move the heat, such as it was, one would be better off stocking up on the firewood than the blankets. Of course, both is better, but there aren't enough blankets to keep a home from freezing temps in the absence of an independent heat source.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Muncie
    Also, another thing to think about is you might want to buy a size smaller than what you wear to compensate for weight loss. Whether you like it or not, in a prolonged SHTF situation, your going to loose weight from working harder and a more rationed diet. And if not for those things, probably the stress alone will cause you to shed a few.

hmm, how about a size bigger so I don't look so well fed while lining up for rations with the sheeple. :laugh:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    So I have been thinking lately, whenever I read post on this forum i always read things like how much food should I have, how much ammo, batteries, guns, ect. The things we always think about that will help us. But I got to thinking, as important as these things are, there are so many more things that are vital to our survival. Or at least will make survival easier.

With this being good ole Indiana, who stock extra comforters/heavy blankets for winter. If we had a prolonged power outage and a winter like we just went through, your going to need extra blankets to keep warm. Fireplaces and wood stoves can only do so much, and when it its the negatives like we had, its going to take its toll on us. Im sure theres some of you who have your house fortified enough to last a winter in Alaska, but some of us do not. To those, do you ever go to yard sales, thrift shops just to buy cheap but heavy blankets to layer on?

Another one I never hear people talk about, or at least rarely is clothing. Im not talking your BDU's and all that, but everyday clothes, like when you need to be the "grey man." Lets face it, clothes wear out. Especially because we will most likely be working harder, wrenching more things, cutting more wood, just moving around more as survival will entail. So who buys extra jeans and t-shirts in order to be prepared for not being able to just go buy another pair? Also, another thing to think about is you might want to buy a size smaller than what you wear to compensate for weight loss. Whether you like it or not, in a prolonged SHTF situation, your going to loose weight from working harder and a more rationed diet. And if not for those things, probably the stress alone will cause you to shed a few.

So who here picks up these things? Im sure there are many of you who do, and for those people what else do you pick up that aren't commonly discussed items that will go a long with in SHTF?

I'm trying to understand your scenario.... are you prepping for a longer than normal Indiana power outage in the dead of winter or the end of manufacturing and commerce?
    IMO you don't need to be ready for a winter in Alaska but history shows that you should at least be ready for a couple weeks without power in Indiana. A wood burner will be a huge asset in that scenario but a kerosene heater or two will work too.

We always keep back-up coats and cold weather gear on hand, especially the Carhartts and other items needed to work and hunt. Same for street clothes. (I hate BDUs) If I have a few extra bucks, I will look for fleece layering gear at the thrift shops and put it away.

I try to keep a year's worth of the essentials on hand and we do produce a good portion of our own food. We don't hoard stuff at home anymore due to the area that we live in. We'll become nomads if things get too bad.

fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    Books, How To's, textbooks, and some stuff to keeps your kids quiet and occupied, I have a couple big notebooks and a big box of crayons in my home kit.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Toilet paper, and lots of it ,you may wipe your a$$ with leaves , but the ball and chain won,t put up with it ,and during the winter those leaves are gonna be nasty. A good stock of booze Vodka , best bang for your buck . Think barter items. Bleach ,lots of it for water purification and more . Soaps for cleaning dishes ,cloths ,yourself.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Toilet paper...don't forget the toilet paper...gotta have enough of that stuff lying around! We started with the idea of a 3-day prep (all things) that allowed us to stay in our house...then went to 7-day, then 10-day! We sort of stopped at that number of days because if things were getting to that point, it's our opinion that it's time to bail on the house (in the small city we live in) and head toward dad's in the country! With our farming background (gardens, etc.) and some excellent Amish neighbors...we're better off there than in town if things are hitting the 5-7 day range anyhow!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    After awhile, bleach offgases the chlorine in it and gradually turns into saltwater. Books can be pulped and strained into a fairly rough toilet paper. Soap can be made from lye and bacon grease, as Grant Thompson/"The King of Random" can demonstrate (he's got a lot of interesting videos):

[video=youtube;4_c4HjVGk3I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_c4HjVGk3I[/video]

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Dog food. Whisky and vodka.

I read a long piece recently from a man who survived a long-term (few years) SHTF scenario in old Yugoslavia in the mid 90's. The most valuable thing I got from that was small barter items such as butane lighters, decks of cards, etc.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Are we bugging out, or bugging in? Ive bought a few oil lamps, one "hurricane" lamp, and four or five bottles of oil. I should probably pick up a few extra wicks as well.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Regarding toilet paper... Something like Scott is more compact and is more biodegradable than the poofy cushy brands. Charmin and the like are fluffed up with air and they contain actual cloth fibers, so they don't break down as well as Scott.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Blankets are a concern.
    Look for the wool military style blankets. They can be purchased at a fair price and are very warm. We have several in the closet.

Paper goods by the bulk at sams.
    Water in the 30 bottle packs and stacked high. I gallon water jugs as well for cooking.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've gotten all of my wool military blankets from Sportsman's Guide for under $10 ea. I've got one in each car and a couple in the house.

Top Bottom