• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hey guys, I've been thinking about this for awhile now. Im one of those guys who will work up to 150ish miles away from home making deliveries, marketing, and doing sales. I often contemplate if I should take my S&W MP15t with me while on the road. This is my SHTF rifle, and is my best shooter. It has a sling, red dot, and magpul flip up sights. Its set up to be carried with the single point sling.

So basically my question is should I carry this on my longer trips where if some MAJOR SHTF happened (emp, nuke attack, random terrorist cell uprisings)? I realize these are the worst scenarios, but are the ones that I'm unsure of because I might not be able to drive back home. I might have to hoof it a good part of the ways, which could take upwards of a week. I can just add a chest rig when I'm on the road and carry my G22 with it (which I usually have anyways). This would be the weapon of choice where society isn't at its finest times.

Or would a better option be to just carry the trusty ole 870 12ga with a slug barrel on it and then a belt of ammo with a mix of buckshot and slugs? this would probably end up being a lighter/easier to carry combo than the chest rig with the G22 and extra AR mags. I would also keep some birdshot for hunting as well if need be.

I would just like your guys' input on what you would do in my situation and what you do if you have a similar situation. Also, communication would likely be down if a major situation like those happened. How are you prepared to alert your family of your status if you could not get through on a cell phone? My routes are pre-planned, so should I think about a pick up location if that was a viable option? I do not want my family out anywhere but the house, but also would feel responsible if anything should happen that I did not make it back quick enough.

Keep in mind also I will have some major cities in my way possibly. I can avoid them but in these situations time will be of the essence. The cities would most likely be Bloomington, Terre Haute, Indy, and Evansville. This might affect what I need to carry. Also, with my GHB, should I try to keep it as light as possible to make maximum time? Or go with heavier in case I had to hunker down in an area for a day or 2?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    There are a lot of guys that like the idea of a truck gun, for a lot of reasons.

I guess the first question you need to really consider is what types of situation might result in you being stranded a significant way from home. You posted a few of them above. If any of those happen, ask yourself how having a good carbine and a decent load out of ammo (and I assume other supplies) will help you get home. And also ask yourself what kind of attention (good or bad) having that load out would bring you, and how that might impact your ability to get home.

As far as going light, think about the brave men and women in our military that pack around an M4 plus a decent amount of other gear with them on foot patrol. It can certainly be done. I was not in the military, but will use a phrase I've often heard..."ounces = pounds, and pounds = pain."

Which ever way you decide, I'd suggest going for a pretty decent hike with your gear to see how it rides on you, and see how it affects your ability to move efficiently.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    This is my own opinion,so feel free to take it or leave it.

There are pros and cons to having your carbine with you.The cons are mainly weight and attention.The attention can be overcome by breaking the rifle down and stashing it in a bag,I believe 5.11 makes one for just such a purpose.The weight can be overcome by strength training and determination to get to your family.

The pros should be obvious to you because they are what brought this idea to your head.

As far as travel,make sure any state you may visit is truck-gun friendly.If they aren't,build an AR pistol so that your LTCH will cover it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    First off, you say you usually have the G22. I'd change that to always :)

I'd focus on what you need to make it out away from home for a few days. Get out and hike with your bag. If you choose an AR it can be broken down and stored in a bag until the time comes you need to wear it. I would look into a Pistol brace and 10 inch barrel maybe. You have to find what works for you. Hiking home with a chest rig full of mags and AR slinged across your chest may draw too much attention.

Last edited:

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I love the idea of a truck rifle but can see how it could be an issue for some people.

Myself personally, if I'm going a decent distance from home or away for the weekend, I carry my Sig P226 which has a 18 round mag and sometimes even have my mag pouch with two 20 round Mec-Gar mags. 58 rounds gives me the just in case warm and fuzzy feeling. But for a grocery getter I carry a Shield 40.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Don't count out a Ruger 10/22 as a SHTF gun too. Could get a Takedown which is a great backpack gun, carry 10x the ammo, and their are many videos that show the validity of the 10/22 for this purpose.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the input guys. It's just a different decision I'm having to make. Attention was one of my concerns. But I also feel that in one of these situations a man walking around with a rifle won't be an uncommon sight. But also makes me a target. And I would always have my G22 on me, but unfortunately for me I get to visit our gun loving friends to the west of us from time to time. So that's why it is usually and not always.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Thanks for the input guys. It's just a different decision I'm having to make. Attention was one of my concerns. But I also feel that in one of these situations a man walking around with a rifle won't be an uncommon sight.

IMO, I think some preppers here are too infatuated with battle and movie scenarios.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    OP, my job by default is travel. Previously it was mostly states bordering Indiana with a fair bit in the midsouth (AR/LA/MS).

I have often thought about what I would do if ____________ happened, and how I would be able to ensure the safety of my family. IMO, staying low profile and having plans and contingencies in place is a better and more realistic way to go than kitting up for a fight. That's not to say a weapon shouldn't be part of your contingencies, but TO ME I don't think a long gun would be a primary consideration as I think something as society-crippling as an EMP attack is highly unlikely and in the event of a NBC terrorist attack, law enforcement away from the attack sites will NOT be very tolerant of a man with a carbine across his chest.

Your best weapon will always be your head.

Carry cash, create a playbook for your loved ones, and have plans A-F for getting from Point A to wherever Point B happens to be.

:dunno:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I disagree with Avboiler. I think a rifle is a great idea. Especially if you have a multi day forced march to the house. If a SHTF situation manifests itself then day 2 will be way worse than day 1 and day 3 will be considerably worse than day 2. That being said a rifle could be mighty handy. You never hear anyone thats been in a gun fight say that they sure wish they hadn't had that rifle and had brought their handgun instead.
    I say bristle with guns but travel at night.
    Oh, and get rid of that single point sling. Try dropping that rifle when you transition to your handgun and taking off at a dead run. Your nookies are gonna be screamin. Never used one that didn't bash your lower half to pieces. 2 point slings give more control of the weapon and allow the user a way to carry the weapon while still allowing rapid transitions. If you are hikin home hopefully most of your time will be spent with it slung over your shoulder.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I wont add much to the thread other than a 2 point sling is MUCH better in my opinion. I started off in Kosovo w/ a single point, and switched to a double. Then for whatever reason I switched back to a single for Iraq and not even a month in I went back to a two point sling. I also used a two point sling during Katrina.... When you have your rifle on you 24/7 and not just for an individual event the two point is hands down the better choice.... I made one out of seatbelt material in Iraq w/ a tensioner and bungee and LOVED it. If I still had an AR that's what would be on it.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Take your rifle, its your best shooter.

Yep, take your rifle... the thug that breaks into your car and steals it (along with the chest rig) will thank you.

ETA:
    IMO, This is one of those questions where there are more REAL reasons against it than there are REAL reasons in favor of doing it.

Last edited:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    It's a tool, you never know when you will need it. The unknown is not a good reason to not have the tool.

OK, what threat do you realistically see in which things were normal when left for work in the morning but the country would be in total chaos before you can get in your vehicle and drive 150 miles home?

Please don't say EMP.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    First of the question from the OP was what to take not should I take.

Ever read anything on Katrina?

Has a cop ever shot someone, and a riot ensued?

If you have an MSG your weapon may not be for your use. It may be handed off to others in need, moving through.

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    if it was me i would have a folding stock ak or an ak pistol with a stablizer on it. easy to keep hidden when you need to. but definitly capable when the time comes also if your truck gets broken into you arent out a bunch of money. pre new town I bought my amd 65 for under 450. when folded it will fit in a very small package. put a cheek riser on it and it is a very good and compact firearm.
    fish

Top Bottom