• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I was at first a little surprised that there were no threads started about the guy in PA hiding from the police and how his actions may have lessons. Then I thought "Hey, what am I , chopped liver?" and I should bring it up. I know we have a strong LEO presence amongst the INGO family and I certainly understand how they may have some bitey emotions about such a person, but just because a person is or commits an evil act doesn't mean there aren't lessons to be learned.

So this guy is hiding out in a relatively small area and eluding those who seek to find him. He may have committed evil acts and be an evil person, but those people exist everywhere and whether you are an LEO or just a dude what has a family you are trying to protect the lessons (IMHO) are the same. Is there anything useful from his actions that one could learn from and use later in a defensive situation? Has he made some fatal mistakes that one could learn from? What has he done specifically that doesn't involve intimate knowledge of the surroundings that could be learned from?

If you leave a guy in his comfort zone he will probably have the advantage, or at least one would think so. Just wondering what anyone thinks of this situation as a learning experience. I know we are still missing many details, but is anyone following this?

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Insensitive I know but.. Maybe after a month of searching .. Maybe they could go back to wanted posters and let everyone go on with there lives. Can't live a life in fear forever.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You read my mind. I have been looking here and elsewhere for the same survival/evasion skills this guy is using. Yes he is evil but he certainly has some things we could learn from. Curiosity aside he is an evil vile creature.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Familiar terrain is an obvious plus.

Has multiple hidden cashes of weapons and food and water. Some have already been found.

I would imagine he has a radio with the police frequencies programmed.

Preparation preparation preperation...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No condoning of the evil persons actions. Still it's good to know that, even in today's age of sophisticated electronics, evasion is still possible.

Eric Rudolf dodged authorities for what, 6-7 years. I remember his capture was less than glorious, found eating out of a dumpster. :puke:Wonder if this guy studied Rudolf's actions?

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Some great points. I think he is hiding out somewhere. Someone may be helping him. But his preparations and knowledge of the area are,key in his survival.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How can dogs not track him down?

Was more wondering why copters with heat detection devices aren't being used.
    There are ways. Remember he knew this was coming and had time to prep his body and ao.
    i do think its a bit wrong to hold a town hostage that long but to do so they must have some evidence he is a threat to the public as well and not just to the police.
    i don't think they will take the guy alive. Also as far as monitoring police radio traffic is concerned I'm sure they're using tactical channels he can't intercept. Also I'm sure they've tried to trick him on their public freq's.
    I do think he is still there because credible sources have seen him. They can out wait him and it looks like they intend to. Hiding from them in the winter will prove more difficult. I see a conclusion coming soon. Hopefully more innocent cops aren't hurt In the process.
    The guy is a coward skim bag that should be stuffed and mounted.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Was more wondering why copters with heat detection devices aren't being used.

Trees with leaves. As others have noted as winter approaches those advantages go away along with a more pronounced heat signature.

Since this is PA, living in the woods with the skill set of a military re-enactor and amateur survivalist...he may still be there but in the form of bear scat.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Since this is PA, living in the woods with the skill set of a military re-enactor and amateur survivalist...he may still be there but in the form of bear scat.

I actually hadn't thought of that. It could be a possibility. Last tally I heard was over $7 million, seems to be rather expensive.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Back a few years ago, on the Frugal Forum, someone had written a really long and drawn out story about a guy who got convicted of a crime and took off into the wild yonder to escape the po-po and "the man".
    This whole situation really reminds me of that.
    Too bad Frugal got all ticked off and kicked the PAW writes off the site.
    Maybe this guy took some tips from that story...

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Trees with leaves. As others have noted as winter approaches those advantages go away along with a more pronounced heat signature.

This. I had the privledge of messing around with military grade night vision and thermal imaging devices recently. The penetration level is exceptionally low in foilage. You may as well say it doesn't penetrate forest canopies, because a person walking into a forest literally disappears 8 to 10 feet inside the tree/weed line.

Top Bottom