• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have collected 3 shortwave radios through my Goodwill raids over the years.

I have a nice digital Grundig, an analog Grundig with battery and dynamo, and a cheap portable all band radio. I have familiarized myself with their operation, reception windows, and signal types...

But when/if SHTF I'd rather not spend a half an hour of precious battery power running through the frequencies on all the different modes and sifting throught the end of days / Niburu / UFO broadcasters, I'd rather just know what range to look for information.

What part of the spectrum should be monitored most?

Does the government still have plans to operate the old civil defense frequencies in the event of national emergency, or have they just forgot about them by now?

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If/when SHTF happens, I think it'll either be Mother Nature or the US Government causing it. Either way they will call for complete government control over the people. I don't thing our government will allow short-wave of any kind. I'm sure they have radio frequencies that will block all short-waves. Even Radio Free Europe wouldn't work today.

Of course....this is my opinion.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I suspect you should familiarize yourself with the 2-meter band; National Weather Service uses that band for weather-spotters - or used to the last time I was involved with amateur radio. There are almost always local hams hooked into weather-spotting and they will tend to use the same frequencies for communications in a disaster. You might also check out your local Red Cross chapter and find out who there is monitoring their communications; they usually have a net involved during disasters.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    High school physics? You mean that liberal tripe designed to convince me that the earth is not at the center of the universe like God designed? If you accept heliocentrism, you're well on your way to Marxism, gay marriage, and Obamacare!

Real conservatives are with VN Vet on this one. Dangerous government counter-frequencies will disable SW! We have to wrap tinfoil around our temples (don't have to get the whole head -- that's just paranoid). The frequencies come in through the temples.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    See where high school physics gets you, Cathy? If we had listened to high school physics during the Cold War, the commies would have their iron boots on our necks now!

Top Bottom