• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Just like the title says, looking to purchase rechargeable batteries, mostly AAA, AA, D, and CR123. Anyone already do the research on these or try some out? Been looking into the Tenergy brand, but they have mixed reviews. Also anyone use a small portable solar charger for these? or a DC-DC charger? I have a solar off-grid setup in my barn and would probably be more efficient charging DC-DC then DC-AC-DC.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    For NiMH you can just about go with any Chinese cheapo these days. I have about 2 dozen AA's I use a lot that are almost 3 yrs old and they do the job. Bought them off Amazon way back when.

Try these too....2800 mah AA's pack of 16 for $29.95 and free shipping.

[h=1]EBL® 16 Pack 2800mAh High Capacity AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries, 1500 Cycle[/h]Amazon

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The Eneloop batteries marketed by Panasonic (marketed by Sanyo before Panasonic acquired Sanyo) are hands down, the best rechargeable batteries on the market. They are only available in AA and AAA, but you can use them in adapters for C & D devices. For CR123 batteries you're entering a whole new ball-game; you're leaving the 1.2-1.5 V alkaline, NiMH realm and entering the Li-Ion realm which may require all new chargers etc. I don't bother with rechargeable 123 batteries for this reason. Their shelf-life is long enough and my usage is low enough that I can't justify messing with the added dangers of recharging Lithium based batteries.

That being said, there are chargers out there that are DC-DC or even dual voltage. I can't recommend any specifics as the charger I use for this purpose is no longer made. However, you may be able to find one new, old-stock, or used. It was made by Duracell. I can't recall the model number but its a 4-station (independent), AA/AAA charger that can double as a 5V USB power source (using charged batteries in the 4 charger stations to power a 5V USB device) and it charges batteries from a normal wall plug or 12 VDC.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Thanks all for the replies. I will make the eneloop batteries next on my research list. The reason I was looking into the Tenergy D Cells are, from what I can see, they are the only ones that actually use a full capacity case. All other D rechargeables use an AA cell in a larger case, so there is a significant loss of capacity. CountryBoy, I will use my interwebs searching skills to try and find that charger.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    CountryBoy, I will use my interwebs searching skills to try and find that charger.
    I looked at the model number when I got home. It's a Duracell CEF 23
    The Aussie version is still available on amazon for $17 but you have to use an awkward plug adapter and that one doesn't come with the car cord (the 12 VDC port is still present, you just have to find a cord that will fit it).

BTW, the full case D-cell rechargeable are VERY tempting to me. Almost tempting enough to buy a charger capable of charging them and picking some up... But for AA/AAA the Eneloops can't be beat. You might save a small amount of money by finding rebranded eneloops (some Duracells batts are rebranded eneloops but you have to be careful because not all of them are).

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I don't bother with rechargeable 123 batteries for this reason. Their shelf-life is long enough and my usage is low enough that I can't justify messing with the added dangers of recharging Lithium based batteries...

For spare CR123 you can look around your house. On my bugout not coming back home ever checklist is to pull all the CR123 batteries out of the remote sensors in my house alarm.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    Here are a few quick things on batteries and chargers:

Rechargeable lithium batteries (like RCR123) come in three chemistries. These are Lithium Cobalt (abbreviated IC or LiCo), Lithium Manganese (abbreviated IMR or LiMN), and Lithium Iron Phosphate (abbreviated LFP or LiFePo).

IC and IMR come off the charger at 4.2V and have a nominal operating voltage of 3.7V. LFP comes off the charger at 3.65V but generally operates at 3.0-3.2V (more on that shortly). All of those voltages are higher than the 3V of lithium primary (non-rechargeable) batteries.

IC batteries have the highest capacity, but they MUST have a built in overcharge / overdischarge / thermal cutoff circuit. You can get them without the circuit built into the cell for building things like laptop battery packs which have a single protection circuit for the whole pack assembly, but I'd never use them standalone.

IMR batteries have lower capacity, but they're generally safe to operate without any protection circuit. I use these for things like weapon lights where I want max reliability.

LFP batteries have cpacities that are very slightly higher than IMR, but they have a lower peak voltage, and almost all of them have a protection circuit that also drops the output to 3.2V or less. These need an LFP specific charger because the chemistry is so different. These are also what Surefire has approved for use in their LED lights. In fact, Surefire just puts K2 energy batteries and chargers in their own packaging to sell. Surefire doesn't even relabel the K2 batteries. K2 is probably the most reputable brand and who I'd buy from if I needed LFP batteries for voltage sensitive electronics.

AW of China uses Panasonic bare cells to make what are arguably the best IC and IMR batteries on the market. EFest makes good IMR batteries as well. RTDVapor (an e-cig / vaping web store) is one of the best places to get either brand. Xtar, Olight, and EagleTac protected IC batteries are all rebadged Panasonics. If you find a deal on any of those brands they're good to go.

As far as chargers, again, this an area where the Chinese actually excel. Nitecore's i2, i4, D2, and D4 chargers all have an AC in plug that goes into an integral AC to DC converter, but they also have a separate direct DC in that bypasses the AC-DC converter. The really nice thing about the Nitecore D2 and D4 is that they have a mode button that lets you charge LFP batteries, and also set a lower input voltage for small capacity batteries like 16340(RCR123) lithium and AA NiMH. Their new UM series (haven't used one of those yet) are powered by USB in, and they have a USB out with a pretty slick integrated cord holder.

Xtar chargers are all straight DC in, and they ship with a wall brick plug that does the AC to DC conversion. Many also have a USB power out feature for charging other devices. They'll work with IC, IMR, and NiMH; but I don't think they offer an LFP compatible charger yet. Their XP4 Panzer and WP II series are good places to start your research. Their VC series are overly complicated in my experience.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    OP, you may want to check out the Tenergy charger: Amazon.com: Tenergy Advanced Universal Charger TN190-4 Channel AA/AAA/C/D/9V Ni-MH Charger with LCD Display and USB Power Outlet: Health & Personal Care

It has an input plug for 12 VDC but lacks the cord so you would be in the same place as the Duracell CEF23AU (aussie version) I mentioned earlier but the Tenergy charges the C & D cells in addition to 9V NiMH cells. In addition to the features of the Duracell charger it also has a built-in microprocessor controlled discharge circuit so you can do controlled discharges of the batteries.

I'm somewhat tempted to buy one for myself if I decide to get some D cell batteries.

Of course, a review for that one led me to this one: http://www.amazon.com/ChargeIt-Battery-Station-Pro/dp/B00CMHSIFS/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk?ie=UTF8
    Which has all of the above PLUS the capability to charge Alkalines. I highly suggest you read Nlee the engineer's reviews. IIRC he is a fairly respected battery/charger nerd over on candle power forums (technically a flashlight forum but it has become somewhat of the rechargeable battery gathering place where a lot of smart folks gather and talk about batteries and chargers)

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    OP, you may want to check out the Tenergy charger: Amazon.com: Tenergy Advanced Universal Charger TN190-4 Channel AA/AAA/C/D/9V Ni-MH Charger with LCD Display and USB Power Outlet: Health & Personal Care

It has an input plug for 12 VDC but lacks the cord so you would be in the same place as the Duracell CEF23AU (aussie version) I mentioned earlier but the Tenergy charges the C & D cells in addition to 9V NiMH cells. In addition to the features of the Duracell charger it also has a built-in microprocessor controlled discharge circuit so you can do controlled discharges of the batteries.

I'm somewhat tempted to buy one for myself if I decide to get some D cell batteries.

Of course, a review for that one led me to this one: http://www.amazon.com/ChargeIt-Battery-Station-Pro/dp/B00CMHSIFS/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk?ie=UTF8
    Which has all of the above PLUS the capability to charge Alkalines. I highly suggest you read Nlee the engineer's reviews. IIRC he is a fairly respected battery/charger nerd over on candle power forums (technically a flashlight forum but it has become somewhat of the rechargeable battery gathering place where a lot of smart folks gather and talk about batteries and chargers)

I have had the ChargeIt Battery Station Pro for about a year now and it has performed well. The only issue I've had is the top cover broke off but it is purely cosmetic. I also want to add my vote for the Eneloop batteries I have both AA and AAA versions and they are great.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Anyone have any new input on this? I neglected to pull the trigger on the Tenergy cells in Feb. due to a string of unforeseen expenses one after another. I am now in the market again and didn't know if there was any new research or reviews that I should be aware of.
    Thanks!

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    I'm looking more for the AAA, AA, and D cells right now. I just stocked up on standard CR123 cells for now. I may want to upgrade in the future to rechargeable 123's but not right now.

Top Bottom