• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I should have posted this earlier, but you could make plans for next year.

I attended the Indiana Bee School yesterday. I don't currently have bees, but hope to get started next year. The school is presented by the Indiana Beekeeper's Association, and I felt they did very well. I attended the noob classes, the first two were quite informative, the last two had good information but the presenters would be better in one-on-one discussion. Several vendors were there with supplies, and they had a raffle and auctions as well. There was probably over 1000 people there, and I had fun.

Any other INGOers there? (I saw a gentleman with a small bag that had a Troy badge on it)

Any beekeepers here? I would like to learn from someone somewhat local. I have a friend who is getting bees this year, but he doesn't have any experience with them so far.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I knew bees were pretty intelligent as insects go, didn't know they had their own school! That's amazing!! :laugh:

Do they wear tiny little caps & gowns for graduation? :lmfao:

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I knew bees were pretty intelligent as insects go, didn't know they had their own school! That's amazing!! :laugh: Do they wear tiny little caps & gowns for graduation? :lmfao:
    Funny... :) No caps or gowns, but a lot of dancing! (And the males have a life of luxury... until winter when they are kicked out in the cold)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Very interesting.

So, Force, where IS the Indiana Bee School? You said you went but didn't say where it is? How much is tuition, how long, etc.

Edit: Did not know we had such a thing, but it makes sense: Indiana Beekeepers Association - Home

There is a magazine! Bee Culture! Hmmm.

Wait there are multiple magazines--Bee Culture, Bee World.

Check it out all kinds of things to learn: http://www.beeculture.com/directory/

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I should have provided more information, I do apologize. This year's bee school was held at Plainfield HS, and from what I gather each year the interest in beekeeping has grown substantially.

Cost was quite reasonable ($30/individual, $50/family for "early" registration) and that included lunch. One of the more interesting things I learned is that there is a bi-annual international beekeepers convention called Apimondia. Who knew?! There is a push to have the US host it in 2019, which would be kinda interesting!

As mentioned earlier I am early in the process, reading a few books, etc. but look forward to having nature's nectar from my own yard.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Beekeeping is big in Indiana. If you think you might want to try it - you should. My wife and I kept bees for years in our back yard. We live in one of the many neighborhoods where all 600 homes look pretty much the same. Even without a farm you can keep bees. Check the link above to the IBA to get some information. It is best to join a club or find someone near you who is a beekeeper who will mentor you. You will have questions and beekeepers are probably the nicest people you will ever deal with. The bee school that was just held this weekend is an annual event and is growing every year. That is a great place to start if you are planning ahead for next year.

You will get stung now and then / You will really enjoy the honey / Your neighbors will think you are nuts.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Thanks. I'd love to add beekeeping to our activities, but it hasn't factored in yet. I sort of loosely follow some of the articles and podcasts from beekeepers. There is a guy east of Indy that collects natural swarms from the wild and moves them to his hives.

For now, I put in more bee-friendly plants.

I'll just add that our North American pollinators (including honeybees, which are actually imports from Europe) need all the help they can get. The increased cropping, pesticides, etc are taking their toll. This isn't the thread to start a debate about the magnitude of the impact of any one practice. The fact is we literally need pollinators for our survival. The more bee-friendly plants you have on your own property, the more you help their survival.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom