2015 Survival fishing contest. Any interest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Anybody interested? We can work out the details here first then start an official contest thread. This is not an INGO sponsored official contest. Its an unofficial contest designed to encourage learnification about fishes.

Rule #1: Contests need prizes and that means entry fees. To post in the contest you must pledge something of value and be willing to mail it to the winner or winners. The minimum entry fee is $1 so your cost is at least postage plus $1. I pledge at least one bag of some kind of soft plastic lure, like worms. Worms mail easy and cheap and I already own 1-2 decades worth of them.

Rule #2: Contests need Judges. Naturally I will be 1 of them. I also nominate BWFrame to be a judge. To become a judge you must be approved by Myself and BW, if he accepts his nomination. Judges can participate and also win. If a Judge wins, he or she can pass their prizes on to the next in line. I think when the contest is over, we will have a poll and contestants can vote. Maybe we even open it up to any INGO members who want to vote. Judges are only needed if there is a tie or other issues arise.

Rule #3: In SHTF your word is Gold so same here. Your entry is based on your word, no matter how we do it, we take peoples word on their entries.

Rule #4: You can use any fishing gear you own now or buy, like rods, reels, line, swivels BUT after that, only the hook can be store bought. I think a plain jig, painted or not is ok too. Anything that goes on the hook was found and modified by your hands. We are looking for creative use of materials in "lure" making here or how to dress up a hook to catch fish. The material you tie on a hook comes from the trash pile, garage, house or roadside, not from a Cabela's catalog.

Rule #5: No live bait. The emphasis is really on rule #4 above. Adapting to using the materials on hand or that you find. If you cant find or catch live bait now, you probably wont survive SHTF anyway. If you can make a crappy lure that catches fish, then you learned something and applied it.

Contests starts soon and ends 10/31?

Categories can be biggest fish but I say we vote for a favorite lure that actually caught a fish and maybe a best story category. Example, dude ends up in the ER after his boat exploded while going over a dam and then he was mauled by a pack of Coyotes BUT first he caught a fish on his SHTF lure. As long as he has a pic of the fish and lure together, I like it. Plus, he survived long enough to post about it, I respect that too!

If you SOB's decide to have a contest and the first thing you do is vote me out as Judge and ditch all my proposed rules, I am good with it. In SHTF, S happens!

Its about learning and fun.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    How many ounces of TOVEX can we use in any one charge? 'Cause that's how I'm gonna fish if the SHTF !!!!!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    AND it goes ugly in just 3 posts! That would be a gray area for the judges to decide. I am thinking store bought = fail. Homemade = win with free vacation to Club Fed included.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Interesting question. Popcorn is not live bait but I think it kind of violates the spirit of what I was getting at, the more you know your quarry the better you will understand how to catch it.

On the other hand by popping the corn you are in a sense modifying it. Popcorn dry flies?

Now, if you use dawn soap to get worms out of the garden, that's creative but still live bait. (I started a worm box in the basement last fall with "local" worms caught with this technique).

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I may be in...

I have a pretty large assortment of tying materials...but that goes against the "theme" of the contest, I assume. I'm going to assume that the tying thread can be bought as well?

This could be fun.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    On the one had materials for tying can be stocked, and we KNOW anyone who fishes hoards. How about tying with one "garbage can" material? Tie up using the hooks and thread but use a material scavenged from the couch on the porch, old tires out back, trash burn pile or your wife's jewelry! I guess man made materials is what I am thinking. Stuff we have on hand or can find. I plan to test using bike tire inner tubes, that rubber has potential and I got a bunch free from a local bike shop. Also plastic bottles interest me.

Now that I am back home from the Virginia swamps, I am hitting the river to practice with the fly gear. Plan to catch and cook some redhorse. I had no clue how edible those things were. Another food source.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    How many ounces of TOVEX can we use in any one charge? 'Cause that's how I'm gonna fish if the SHTF !!!!!

I don't guess I will be participating in this challenge because I confess the first thing that occurred to me was explosives (albeit in the form of cherry bombs or M-80s). If I didn't have one of those, I'd have to go with a gill net; I've never had the patience for hooks, worms, or flies.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm guessing I can't use this one.

20150423_230137_zpsjyka4ns4.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If the tinsel is from Xmas decorations or you killed something to get the rest then Yeah, you can use it! OR use it with a willow branch and the guts from 550 or dental floss. Wait until you see the plug I am making this weekend, true trash lure.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Love it. I see the world through an eye for hard baits, soft plastics, jigs and live bait. I never saw that ear plug as a lure or any damn thing. This year I am looking more at things that float.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That is bad-ass!

What are the streamers made of? Sharpie for the dots and stripes, correct?

The tail is made from the innards of 550 cord. I separated the strands, and frayed them some more. There's natural kinks in them that should make them move well in the water. Yes, just sharpie for the stripes and dots.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What would be the standard knot or wrap you used to tie the cord to the hook?

Not sure what you're asking. I dressed the hook with thread, tied in the "cord," advanced thread to the eye, then whip finished. Prepped the ear plug by heating up my bodkin (needle type thing) and stuck it through to make a hole. Put superglue on the hook and slid the ear plug on. I put some more super glue on the "face" of the plug to make it hard. Prettied it up with a marker.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Flies are looking great Jeremy! I can see that your time (and money) spent at Wildcat Creek is paying off! I'll have to snap some pictures of the flies I've tied to share.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Flies are looking great Jeremy! I can see that your time (and money) spent at Wildcat Creek is paying off! I'll have to snap some pictures of the flies I've tied to share.

Thanks, I've been tying on and off this winter. That beastly fly above the plug was my first attempt at that pattern, I have some ideas on how to make it better. Maybe we should get a "Tying" thread going in the outdoor forum. I posted some pics in the fly fishing group, but I don't think that gets much traffic. Are you headed to the carp class Saturday?

Top Bottom