• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Was reading One Second After a few weeks ago. Something not mentioned in the story but I wondered about it. How would these new style LED based flashlights survive an EMP? Doubt old style bulbs would be an issue but not sure about LEDs.

Matt

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since the electronics required to power them are pretty delicate, I hate to say it, but I'm almost certain that a decent EMP would wreck them.
    Hate to say it as someone who carries a Surefire Peacekeeper daily for work.
    In fact, it's on my belt right now.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I believe old school flash lights would be just fine. Their just using metal contacts. No electronics. That and a filiment bulb.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If the EMP is caused by a thermonuclear detonation (a common scenario) and it's strong enough to ruin an LED flashlight, the least of your concerns will the EMP. You'll be busy being incinerated.

The vulnerability of consequence to EMPs is and will continue to be the power grid since the wires make it a giant antenna.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yep. Damage mechanism for EMP is eddy currents caused in conductors - the longer the length the higher the current. I'm not sure there are enough conductors in an LED lamp assembly to cause damage. However IANAE

Top Bottom