• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I wrote this a few weeks ago. Today I did 5.5 miles with a 35 lb pack in 90 minutes. 3/30/60 is a minimum requirement.

More and more I realize I am not a good as I once was. The injuries have been many, line of duty, training, martial arts, motorcycle wrecks. I feel pretty good most of the time but always a little sore. If you are over forty there is a good chance that your neck, back, knees, shoulders are not factory fresh anymore. Being married with kids and all the chaos that comes with it I need a PT program that can be done any time anywhere and will allow me to work the next day.

Since I promised myself that if I splurged on a Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault pack I would get off my ass and carry it places besides back and forth to the car. There is satisfaction in knowing that you can pull your own weight, literally.

Over the years in articles and comments I have written about my disgust of the man that has Bug Out Bag packed to the point of busting the seams that he keeps in his closet or vehicle. That led to the Bag of Evil concept, a EDC bag based on your personal needs (not SEAL Team 6s) that you have with you all the time. Today most of us live in a "death before dismount" society where we ***** if we cannot find a spot close to the grocery store. Personally I don't think it is a lot to require myself to carry my BOE for 3 miles in 60 minutes, as a starting point.

Veterans will shudder at the words, but I have begun to road march. Taking the BOE, loading it with water for extra weight and get to marching. Sometime back MCS instructor Sgt. Art told me about GORUCK. Now that I am getting into it I looked it up. They seem to have three types of events; tough, heavy, and light. The light seemed to light so I checked out the heavy. The only problem with the heavy was the PT test before hand that would wreck my aging shoulders even more. I also had to chuckle that the weight classes, under 150 and over 150. Being 6'2 and between 290-310 most of my career I had to chuckle. There were lots of pictures of young hard chargers tearing it up, and good for them, as well for the few old timers. So what is an old fat guy to do, get my ass out there and road march anyway. Now I am planning on doing some 5 and 10Ks.

Something anyone living the Warrior ethos should practice is becoming indifferent to pain, hardship, and misery, at least as the most basic level. That means getting out there when it is wet, cold, or hot. You learn to put yourself in a different place.

So take the simple test, covering 3 miles in 60 minutes with the bag you carry everyday should be no problem right? If it is keep at it, if its not continue to push yourself. I have a great app on my phone called MapMyHike to keep track of everything. Today I took on some killer hills and did my 3 miles in 54 minutes and burnt over 1100 calories. That is just based on my height and weight and not taking into consideration the weight of my gear. Today it was pouring down rain and about 45 degrees...awesome.

If you have a body and bag, put some stuff in it, hopefully stuff that comes in handy and get out there and road march, or GORUCK or whatever you want to call it.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    When i was younger, i did part of the application trail with a 65 lbs pack for about 10 miles a day. with a typical hiking setup.

I really have to get out a test myself again. Take care.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    While preparing for an elk hunt this past fall I would train with 50-60# in my bag climbing stairs, for 75 min / 3x week. Doing 3 miles in 60 minutes on flat land was no problem. Doing like you did with hills is more difficult. Still sucked air at 10K feet.

Great challenge.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I seriously enjoy rucking and try to do it semi-regularly.

I'm kind of a fat guy so focusing on cardio (running) has taken priority but I still like to work in a few ruckmarches here and there. Last month I put on a "Bug Out Bag/Ruckmarching Clinic" and we did about 3 miles that day. At the end of the month I strapped on my heavy pack and rucked 85lbs 11.4 miles in 3.5 hours. Feet were mush and I was smoked but I really enjoyed it.

In 2016 I'll be adding them in more regularly to my workout plan. I'd like to get it to where I'm double-timing with an assault pack. 30lbs or so at a 10 minute pace would make me feel all-world!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I seriously enjoy rucking and try to do it semi-regularly.

I'm kind of a fat guy so focusing on cardio (running) has taken priority but I still like to work in a few ruckmarches here and there. Last month I put on a "Bug Out Bag/Ruckmarching Clinic" and we did about 3 miles that day. At the end of the month I strapped on my heavy pack and rucked 85lbs 11.4 miles in 3.5 hours. Feet were mush and I was smoked but I really enjoyed it.

In 2016 I'll be adding them in more regularly to my workout plan. I'd like to get it to where I'm double-timing with an assault pack. 30lbs or so at a 10 minute pace would make me feel all-world!

I bet running in your pack is a great way to optimize your gear.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011

Something anyone living the Warrior ethos should practice is becoming indifferent to pain, hardship, and misery, at least as the most basic level. That means getting out there when it is wet, cold, or hot. You learn to put yourself in a different place.

I couldn't disagree less. That's one of the reasons I like fur trapping - carrying a pack with 80 lbs of steel traps and beaver, wearing hip boots, and hauling it through the briars, up muddy ditch banks, across mold-board plowed fields at O'dark thirty on a winter morning... makes you feel... warrior-like!

I had a friend, an Army Ranger, who went to New Mexico to run a marathon - wearing combat boots - carrying a 30 pound pack - off road! His idea of a good time. He's a lot tougher than me, that's for dang sure.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I will never again go on a ruck march. Period. After 21 yrs as a Grunt my body is trashed after many miles of forced ruck marches, falling out of airplanes etc. I can go recon mission speed with a 35+ lb pack for most the day. That's good enough for me.
    It is a battle to just get out of bed most days and I don't run with my knees. Walking with a load on pavement has never been a good idea and I sure won't start that back up again. it was exciting when I was young but at 57 I'm wondering if it was worth it............ never mind, it was, but I'm paying for it now.

Bob

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    40+ pounds, between 7 and 12 miles, rolling terrain. Just did the wildland firefighting pack test - 45 lbs, 45 minutes, 3 miles. Not the oldest guy there, but pretty close. This week - lifeguard recert.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Longest forced march I did was 60 klicks. I can not express how much that suc%*d. I've carried a 70lb pack at 14k' before, that was more fun because I wanted to do it...hunting.

I can understand doing it if I have to do it...though I liked the phrase 'Death before Dismount', I prefer the Mechanized Infantry...actually I prefer Armor. I like to work out in ways that don't cripple me now.

I'm too old (or stubborn) to take an ass whooping or run all day, I'll just have to kill them where I stand. Now if it's to rescue family members I'll die trying to get there if I can't.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I wrote this a few weeks ago. Today I did 5.5 miles with a 35 lb pack in 90 minutes. 3/30/60 is a minimum requirement.

More and more I realize I am not a good as I once was.
    "the older I get, the better I was" (logo from "Old guys rule" merchandise). I need to see if there is a dispensation for using canes in the 'GORUCK' site

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Flatlander and others that served, thank you for you service.

One of the best things about rucking, especially with the up and down weather we have had here in PA has been practicing using my layers (base/wicking, midlayer/insulation/, and wind/waterproof layers) to stay comfortable. My thought process is also based on if I had to walk into the woods right now and spend the night would I be comfortable or miserable and why or why not? If there is something I need to add to the BOE I add it.

For those who have not been in the military and are accustomed to rucking think about doing it while maintaining two hand positive control on your weapon at all times. Adds to the suck.- George

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I also use the MapMyHike app and find it pretty handy. I would recommend it. You can select the type of workout as well. It has a pick list with walking, hiking, biking, jogging, running, etc. It has a map feature, but that only works when you have cellular data service. I believe it will still map your GPS location without cell service then overlay it on the map when it has an opportunity to refresh it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Forget the ruck...the wife will be carrying that...grab your two kids and see if you can all make 3 miles an hour...survival changes when you have your family with you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have wheels for mine......so a long way!

A bag with wheels, or a cart? How durable are the wheels on the bag? Do they roll over rough terrain okay?

I've been thinking a push/pull cart has a lot of potential for either increasing the load you can carry or the distance you can carry it, or both.

Top Bottom