• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    A while back I set up a small bag for the purpose of simply getting home within 24 hours if I find myself on foot. It kind of turned into a bag that supplements my EDC with items including...

Spare batteries for EDC flashlight
    Spare ammo for handgun
    Some water and iodine tablets for making additional safe water
    Some protein bars
    Headlamp and fire starter kit, knife, and gloves for that purpose
    Mylar blanket for shelter/warmth
    no medical yet

I was curious if anyone else has such a bag, or maybe likes the idea of having something between your EDC and a full Bug-out-bag.

Thanks for reading!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Good start. You could add a tarp and some paracord for making shelter if needed. Maybe a poncho or some rain gear too. Extra socks and a change of clothes could be nice just in case. Also, I always have a couple knives in my car.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    I actually forgot to list that I do have paracord in there, and the plan may include using it to angle the mylar blanket to reflect (or deflect) some heat, or simply wrapping up in the blanket. The bag is a Maxpedition Proteus, it's just too small to fit a decent size tarp. A poncho is surely something I could add. I'll consider lashing extra clothes and socks to the outside of the bag.

But I'll note that I usually take my regular BoB if I will be travelling farther than about 30-40 miles away.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I try to keep a small bag either in the car or with me if I'm hiking.

The content varies depending on what I need to do that day, I don't keep the bag full to have room to add extra gear depending on the activity or the weather.

From memory here is a few things I keep in my bag:

-Batteries for my EDC light and camera.
    -2 extra flashlights (one attached to the exterior of the bag to be visible at night, one headlamp)
    - Leather gloves (to change a tire, protect from glass and hot surfaces etc)
    - Camera
    - Baseball cap with shemagh
    - First aid kit (bottom of the bag)
    - Trauma kit with shears and sharpie (to use with tourniquet) that is quickly accessible (outside pocket)
    - A bottle of water and some snacks
    - Binoculars
    - multitool pliers
    - Maps of my local area and compass
    - Sunglasses spare clear lenses for night use
    -Waterproof and reflective cover for the bag, to walk at night
    -Pencil, notebook, earplugs, small sewing kit and various other small items.

I think that's it.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Add to the items above:

Bandana and/or DustMask
    Map with choke points marked (my map has all 10 options for crossing the river between work and home marked including a boat rental)
    A couple of energy bars
    Wool watch cap
    Cash
    A checklist of things to grab/things to do so I don't have to think (use text if cell towers are overwhelmed, drink water before leaving to hydrate and have a snack,

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    A local topo map would be fantastic, not sure where to look to get one though. I really like the sunglasses/safety glasses. The only reason I don't have any medical equipment is because I have no medical training. Completely cutting off blood supply to a part of the body seems daunting and I feel like one could misuse it. Maybe it's simpler than I'm making it out to be...

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    A local topo map would be fantastic, not sure where to look to get one though.

This book will get you the whole state. You can cut out the pages you need or make a high quality scan then print and laminate it. If you don't need the whole book you can probably get a copy at the library.

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?beginIndex=0&item=4880&section=10096

I know there are online places you can buy and download maps of all sorts and sizes and functions but not familiar with them.

For my walk home from work bag I just used street maps.

IN.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A local topo map would be fantastic, not sure where to look to get one though. I really like the sunglasses/safety glasses. The only reason I don't have any medical equipment is because I have no medical training. Completely cutting off blood supply to a part of the body seems daunting and I feel like one could misuse it. Maybe it's simpler than I'm making it out to be...

You can get free tourisitc maps of your area in many places.

I live in a very touristic region so they are everywhere.

The clear safety glasses are great if you have to walk thru woods at night (and for many other things).

It's not that hard to use a tourniquet, you do need a bit of training but every 18 years old in the military is taught to use them, so it's not the big deal that many people make it to be ... :dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe I'm the only one thinking it, but I gotta ask. Why just one day, and not three? You could easily make a 3 day bag with any standard size backpack.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    Maybe I'm the only one thinking it, but I gotta ask. Why just one day, and not three? You could easily make a 3 day bag with any standard size backpack.

A fair question. I saw a pretty good deal on that Maxpedition Proteus, so I bought it with the intention of literally carrying it on my person for EDC. When I got it I decided that that would be really gay, and instead started putting some extra survival supplies in it. I found it to be quick and easy to grab and load in the vehicle and haven't felt the need to load up a 3-day bag.

What I'm losing in survival capability, I'm gaining in the compact, light-weight, speediness of the 1-day bag. Realistically, I feel I could consider this a bare-bones 3-day bag in regard to water, shelter, and hygiene.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I don't know about the OP but my philosphy is to have a small, lightweight bag with just enough things for the day.
    It's more like a purse, not a bug out bag with a tent and food for 3 days.

Having food and water for 3 days would make the bag much larger and heavier, and you would be more likely to leave it at home or in your car and not have it with you when you need it.

It probably depends how far you are from your home too.
    Can you go back home in less than a day from wherever you usually are? If so you probably don't need a 3 day bag.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A fair question. I saw a pretty good deal on that Maxpedition Proteus, so I bought it with the intention of literally carrying it on my person for EDC. When I got it I decided that that would be really gay, and instead started putting some extra survival supplies in it. I found it to be quick and easy to grab and load in the vehicle and haven't felt the need to load up a 3-day bag.

What I'm losing in survival capability, I'm gaining in the compact, light-weight, speediness of the 1-day bag. Realistically, I feel I could consider this a bare-bones 3-day bag in regard to water, shelter, and hygiene.

I'm not knocking it, you're taking steps to be prepared, and I can appreciate that. I'm just odd, because I have several bags, because everytime I see a backpack, I'm like ohhhh... that would a great bug out bag.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't know about the OP but my philosphy is to have a small, lightweight bag with just enough things for the day.
    It's more like a purse, not a bug out bag with a tent and food for 3 days.

Having food and water for 3 days would make the bag much larger and heavier, and you would be more likely to leave it at home or in your car and not have it with you when you need it.

It probably depends how far you are from your home too.
    Can you go back home in less than a day from wherever you usually are? If so you probably don't need a 3 day bag.

You live in France. You probably could just pick grapes on way walking home. Hell you'd probably make wine. You don't need water. lol

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    I think there's some definite stages, if not cycles, in trying to be prepared. Maybe it goes something like this...

1. You buy some essentials
    2. You decide everything is essential
    3. You can't stop buying things
    4. You realize you have way too many things and get rid of most of it
    5. You got rid of some essentials. Repeat step 1.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You live in France. You probably could just pick grapes on way walking home. Hell you'd probably make wine. You don't need water. lol

:):

We don't have vieneyards in the region but we have apple orchads for the production of cider (what you call hard cider in 'merica).
    And fields with cows to make cheese.
    I could survive on apples, milk and cheese for days! :D

It rains often too so gathering water wouldn't be a problem.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think there's some definite stages, if not cycles, in trying to be prepared. Maybe it goes something like this...

1. You buy some essentials
    2. You decide everything is essential
    3. You can't stop buying things
    4. You realize you have way too many things and get rid of most of it
    5. You got rid of some essentials. Repeat step 1.

I used to carry a much larger bag with stuff I would never use.
    Now if I have something I haven't used in the last few months I remove it from my bag.
    I used everything multiple times including the first aid kit.
    Just the trauma kit I haven't used yet.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I would think 24 hour bag would be way stripped down... Only the bare essentials. If I was 24 hours away from my destination (in an emergency) I wouldn't "camp" or worry about fire beyond a mini bic lighter. Maybe a quick rest or two leaning against a tree, but a poncho or an emergency blanket would be enough shelter for that.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    I would think 24 hour bag would be way stripped down... Only the bare essentials. If I was 24 hours away from my destination (in an emergency) I wouldn't "camp" or worry about fire beyond a mini bic lighter. Maybe a quick rest or two leaning against a tree, but a poncho or an emergency blanket would be enough shelter for that.

I'm talking a possible 30-40 miles. I'm not Rambo and the weather isn't always sunny and 75 degrees. Imagine if very bad weather came through, be it a snowstorm, or strong thunderstorm. Maybe there's civil unrest and you have to leave the main roads behind in favor of the countryside. Creeks with 10-foot tall banks and impassable thickets may await. You have to include the possibility of having to stop or having to stay warm. You are right, a 1-day bag IS bare essentials, but it's something you can always have nearby, with the added bonus of moving more quickly with it if you possibly can.

Top Bottom