• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Mr. Tyler Watts penned an interesting article in last Saturday's Muncie Star Press. The upshot was that there is no event large enough to prevent the good ol free market from providing you and I with all the fresh affordable food we could ever desire.
    So quit "hoarding", you silly ol' preppers! The good ol' free market and Uncle Sugar will take care of you!
    Did anyone else see this travesty?

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    He's big into religion and quotes scripture that promises that his Lord will provide "daily bread" needs. Somebody should send him some new stories talking about the hundreds of thousands of people dying world wide due to starvation each year....and many of them are religious too. He also states that economic downturns brings about lower food prices so I'm sure he's hoping for the collapse of the mighty dollar.

To each their own on how they follow religion...but he is WAY out of touch with reality.

Here's a link to his article, online: Tyler Watts: Folly of food hoarding

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I have serious doubts as to whether this man has ever worked in the private sector. I mean paper route, waiting tables in college, anything. If I weren't sure some of the special flowers were going to think this was good advice, it'd be funny.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    He's big into religion and quotes scripture that promises that his Lord will provide "daily bread" needs. Somebody should send him some new stories talking about the hundreds of thousands of people dying world wide due to starvation each year....and many of them are religious too. He also states that economic downturns brings about lower food prices so I'm sure he's hoping for the collapse of the mighty dollar.

To each their own on how they follow religion...but he is WAY out of touch with reality.

Here's a link to his article, online: Tyler Watts: Folly of food hoarding

Reminds me of the old joke.

A flood comes. A man is standing on his front porch up to his knees in water.

A rescue boat comes by and they tell him to get in.

He responds:"No. My lord and savior protects me and will provide for me."

6 hours later he is sitting on his roof, with the water lapping at the gutters. Another boat comes by and tells him to get in.

Another 6 hours passes and a helicopter flies over and finds him up to his knees in still rising floodwaters, even though he is standing on top of his chimney. They lower a basket and tell him to get in.

Scene shift to the pearly gates. That man is standing in front of St Peter with a puzzled and disappointed look on his face. He says to St Peter in an exasperated tone "I just dont understand. I was told that if I believed, God would provide for me. Why did he let me down?"

St Peter responds "Let you down?!?! We sent you two boats and a helicopter! What more did you want?"

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Reminds me of "everybody laughs at rednecks until their car breaks down." My wife used to good naturedly poke fun at my prepping and hoarding, until we went three days without power a few years ago. Now she asks if we have enough. My 6 year old daughter told the cashier at Wal-Mart "my daddy always buys extras of everything, in case the zombies come."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sometimes I don't understand when people don't recognize that people used to keep enough of everything in their homes for emergencies or lean times just because that's what you did. When life was tougher, people understood that stuff happens and it's better to be prepared than not. Now the naysayers label someone a prepper if they have more than today's food in their house. As someone mentioned, they're going to be in for a surprise when some bad weather hits and they grocery store can't get resupplied for a while.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Back when I had a W2 I had one asshat of a plant manager... he really didn't like me because I wouldn't kiss up to him. He hit me on a trumped up safety violation and gave me seven days off, unpaid. That extended to 21 days.

I told the wife, who was a stay at home mom at the time, that we would just live off the preps until it either came around or I found other employment. No worries... plus saved fuel not running to the store.

Got back to work and made sure I informed all involved that they should start stocking up while he was in charge... plant closed down around a year after.

I don't prep for decades of unrest... but I have plenty of food, water, meds and ammo to last us a fair amount of time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Pretty amazing statement about prepping, when we've actually had events in recent history that kept people from the store for a period of time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Back when I had a W2 I had one asshat of a plant manager... he really didn't like me because I wouldn't kiss up to him. He hit me on a trumped up safety violation and gave me seven days off, unpaid. That extended to 21 days.

I told the wife, who was a stay at home mom at the time, that we would just live off the preps until it either came around or I found other employment. No worries... plus saved fuel not running to the store.

Got back to work and made sure I informed all involved that they should start stocking up while he was in charge... plant closed down around a year after.

I don't prep for decades of unrest... but I have plenty of food, water, meds and ammo to last us a fair amount of time.

We can all learn from that experience.

The whole point of prepping is that we don't know what's going to happen. People who claim to know . . . well, I hope they don't suffer too much when they're wrong.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's only been in recent history where people didn't "prep".

Basements or pantries were stocked with a few weeks or a winters worth of food.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's only been in recent history where people didn't "prep".

Basements or pantries were stocked with a few weeks or a winters worth of food.

Yep.

My mom grew up during the depression in small town Kentucky. My dad grew up before and during WWII in the Philippines. When I was growing up, the shelves always had enough for a few weeks if not months. As they got older, it was tough to manage the first in, first out to rotate things.

I think I'm going to get some of the can racks that you load from the top, then the oldest can comes out the front.

https://www.amazon.com/FIFO-Tracker...=1483158971&sr=8-1&keywords=canned+food+racks

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

That sounds like Key Plastics...

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Yep.

My mom grew up during the depression in small town Kentucky. My dad grew up before and during WWII in the Philippines. When I was growing up, the shelves always had enough for a few weeks if not months. As they got older, it was tough to manage the first in, first out to rotate things.

I think I'm going to get some of the can racks that you load from the top, then the oldest can comes out the front.

https://www.amazon.com/FIFO-Tracker...=1483158971&sr=8-1&keywords=canned+food+racks

My wife found the cardboard ones and they are much cheaper. Now all we do is use the first front items and the later ones roll forward. She's been great at finding these different gizmos for good prices.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    Top Bottom