• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You got home from work late that day. It had been the typical Monday, nothing seemed to go right, co-workers were irritated and snarky, and everything just seemed "off". You were so relieved when you had finally finished the 45 minute commute home, pulled into the driveway, and felt the tension leave your shoulders. You closed your eyes, let your head fall back against the headrest, and just sat for a moment, listening to the clicking under the hood as the engine began to slowly cool down. After several minutes of letting your mind rest, listening to the sounds of an early summers evening, the birds chirping, and the soft murmur of the neighbors talking, you trudged from the truck into the front door, pleased to be home, and finally, able to start to unwind.

You were deciding whether to shower first, or begin to make dinner when the power went down. There was still plenty of light in the house, it wouldn`t turn dusky for several more hours, but it just figures you thought...the perfect ending to a harsh, difficult Monday, no power. You walk out the front door and stand in the lawn, looking up and down the street, and see neighbors beginning to come out of their houses, looking around as if there were to be some answer in the street as to what caused the power to go out. You slowly head for a group of about a half dozen neighbors standing and talking in front of a house three houses down. You know them all, even though you usually don`t have much conversation with any of them, but there`s some comfort in being with someone you know. There`s kind of a strange feeling in what`s happening. You hear them asking if anyone has any word on what caused the power to go off, and someone says their I-Phone can`t connect to the web, and won`t make an outgoing call. Another neighbor says he`s in the same situation, can`t connect to the internet, can`t call out, and they all look very uncomfortable.

Someone steers the conversation away from the worry about what caused the power outage, and everyone gladly follows suite. Even though their posture and their eyes tell the story, that they`re very concerned, they leave it alone, and talk about kids, pets, the nice evening weather, and various other small talk. Finally, someone suggests getting several of the charcoal grills together, combining food resources, and having a "block grill out", to keep everyone occupied until the power comes back on. Everyone gathered agrees heartily, and they all seem to genuinely be feeling more at ease about the situation now, but you can`t let go. You have this gnawing feeling, you can`t describe it exactly, and you have no fact to base it on...but everything just "feels" bad...

As the neighbors split up temporarily to gather grills, charcoal, and meat, agreeing which house to set up at, you look up into the now dusky sky, trying to convince yourself that you`re really being silly, it`s just a simple power outage. Someone hit a utility pole, a transformer blew...there could be a lot of reasons for it, but there`s certainly nothing sinister going on, is there? You start to recall the Reuters news piece you read last week about how U.S. intelligence agencies had released a report warning about direct threats to the nations power grids by terrorists organizations funded by Iran. But if they knew about the threat, they`d prevent the chance of it ever happening...right? You fight the sudden surge of panic rising up in your throat, your heart racing, head spinning, you feel faint...but you need to get into the house while there`s still some usable light and gather flashlights, candles, matches, and your mind starts to focus on what supplies you need, and if you even have everything. You had a list compiled somewhere of "prepper supplies" you`d need in the event of an emergency, but how many of them had you gone out and purchased...you feel the panic rising up again as you rush into the house in the dimming light to gather supplies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have always been prepped for about anything. Up until 9/11 it was power infrastructure related.
    After 9/11 it became a wider view of what would be needed.
    We have flashlights everywhere and we know how to find them in the dark. From there we know the drill.
    We have done the drill in weather related outages and the occasional drunk hitting the pole. We had a fuse burn off the line at the transformer about 8 years ago and we were down for 24 hrs.
    Prepare for anything and you will be ready for everything.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    We have always been prepped for about anything. Up until 9/11 it was power infrastructure related.
    After 9/11 it became a wider view of what would be needed.
    We have flashlights everywhere and we know how to find them in the dark. From there we know the drill.
    We have done the drill in weather related outages and the occasional drunk hitting the pole. We had a fuse burn off the line at the transformer about 8 years ago and we were down for 24 hrs.
    Prepare for anything and you will be ready for everything.

:yesway:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Or a nightmare.

The whole point is just, I think, that if you consider how something like THE SHTF situation might happen, how would it begin? It could start just like that...power out, no communication, ne means of having information relating to what`s happening. I was just trying to get us to think about what type situation`s we`re prepared for, how we might be faced with some situations, and how we would respond to them. It`s all about thinking of all the circumstances we can, and trying to prepare in advance for them. I`ve prepper very little. Just a few water filters, a few extra survival knives, a little extra ammo, and some Surefires and extra batteries. This section of INGO makes me think I need to prepare a lot better.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The whole point is just, I think, that if you consider how something like THE SHTF situation might happen, how would it begin? It could start just like that...power out, no communication, ne means of having information relating to what`s happening. I was just trying to get us to think about what type situation`s we`re prepared for, how we might be faced with some situations, and how we would respond to them. It`s all about thinking of all the circumstances we can, and trying to prepare in advance for them. I`ve prepper very little. Just a few water filters, a few extra survival knives, a little extra ammo, and some Surefires and extra batteries. This section of INGO makes me think I need to prepare a lot better.

We all probably need to prepare a little. Well, most of us anyway.

You might want to read
    https://www.amazon.com/Second-After...d=1483889907&sr=1-1&keywords=one+second+after

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Now that's an impressive link. Tough to read though, I started getting confused around
    Kx0zHwti7nvYh18279Eyfyye8jPh0Trbsz7/kucKoVWmbSGtNjzqbGpsSZSsvKzLsg6wbu426PvWOF4zNhlfNU xxh7Zr54ybA63GvQly8TIL1EpnqJZiMpkeX25rm6zXq8QI6/kl4sl64 q1RTkl4sl64 q1RACHEPGNV1z 0rEBb14 Earrn9pVGtWbZ1QiNaiIYXSvDGC7juH3qgCJpZd
    :stickpoke:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We here in southern Indiana went through a mini SHTF scenario back in 2007, which was at the very beginning of my serious prepping, when the hurricane force winds came through the area. We were without power for 8 days, and while I did have a small generator, it wasn't enough to run everything I wanted to run. We did have a massive cookout complete with neighbors, and I was fortunate enough to have several propane tanks on hand to keep the grill going. All in all, I was very happy with how we handled the issue, and it was a great learning experience, and an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Hell, I was kinda bummed when we finally got power back.

Some things I changed because of the hurricane winds: I now have a section of my garage stocked with building materials, 2x4, 2x6, 2x10, 4x4, sheets of 3/4" osb, other random sizes and shapes of plywood, tarps, roll roofing, shingles, plumbing supplies, a spare sump pump....I've got enough stuff to rebuild a good portion of the house, I buy random stuff whenever I go to lowes or Menards, sometimes a few plumbing fittings, sometimes a few sheets of plywood, it's part of my preps.

I bought a bigger generator. Duh!

I acquired another deep freeze that I only use for keeping ice. Frozen milk jugs work great, and the chunk of ice will stay frozen for days in a good cooler.

although we didn't need to heat the house during our 8 day scenario, I devised a plan for how to do so.

I keep my chainsaws in working order, of course, but I also have plenty of fuel, 2 cycle oil, bar oil, spare chain, spark plugs, you name it. Chainsaws and anything associated with them were virtually unobtainable for a few days after that storm.

my food preps were good, even back then, but, at the time, we were heavily into coupons, and I had tons of stuff taking up space in the freezers that were designed for microwave preparation, and while it can be dumped out of a package and cooked over a fire or propane burner, it's not ideal. I no longer stock that kind of stuff.

I'll probably think of more stuff I've changed since that incident, but right now my pancakes are ready!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    We here in southern Indiana went through a mini SHTF scenario back in 2007, which was at the very beginning of my serious prepping, when the hurricane force winds came through the area. We were without power for 8 days, and while I did have a small generator, it wasn't enough to run everything I wanted to run. We did have a massive cookout complete with neighbors, and I was fortunate enough to have several propane tanks on hand to keep the grill going. All in all, I was very happy with how we handled the issue, and it was a great learning experience, and an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Hell, I was kinda bummed when we finally got power back.

Some things I changed because of the hurricane winds: I now have a section of my garage stocked with building materials, 2x4, 2x6, 2x10, 4x4, sheets of 3/4" osb, other random sizes and shapes of plywood, tarps, roll roofing, shingles, plumbing supplies, a spare sump pump....I've got enough stuff to rebuild a good portion of the house, I buy random stuff whenever I go to lowes or Menards, sometimes a few plumbing fittings, sometimes a few sheets of plywood, it's part of my preps.

I bought a bigger generator. Duh!

I acquired another deep freeze that I only use for keeping ice. Frozen milk jugs work great, and the chunk of ice will stay frozen for days in a good cooler.

although we didn't need to heat the house during our 8 day scenario, I devised a plan for how to do so.

I keep my chainsaws in working order, of course, but I also have plenty of fuel, 2 cycle oil, bar oil, spare chain, spark plugs, you name it. Chainsaws and anything associated with them were virtually unobtainable for a few days after that storm.

my food preps were good, even back then, but, at the time, we were heavily into coupons, and I had tons of stuff taking up space in the freezers that were designed for microwave preparation, and while it can be dumped out of a package and cooked over a fire or propane burner, it's not ideal. I no longer stock that kind of stuff.

I'll probably think of more stuff I've changed since that incident, but right now my pancakes are ready!

You`re obviously ahead of the curve. I`m envious, because I have much to get caught up on, that`s a certainty.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You`re obviously ahead of the curve. I`m envious, because I have much to get caught up on, that`s a certainty.
    Thanks! I'm proud to say that way back then, we were not part of the crowd that lined up at gas stations, or panicked and ran screaming to the grocery store to grab anything we could get our hands on. I think we did order a pizza one night during the event, but hey, ya gotta live a little.:):

I do recall the night the lights came back on, it was weird, we had sat on the front porch watching some power company guys from New York or New Jersey replace a pole that was destroyed by a huge tree, I had a cooler full of cold beer, and had offered to them to help themselves whenever they needed. None of them partook in a beer until they were done, and then, only two or three of them had one, but we sat out front for a good hour after power was restored just BSing, they were great guys. When I finally walked into the now lit up house, I was kinda out of my element for a few minutes, I could now watch tv, get online, flip a light on anytime I needed.......it was just odd to go from a week without power (and actually getting quite used to it), to suddenly having all of it at my fingertips again.

Anyway, as I said earlier, it was an invaluable learning experience, and my systems for dealing with such things has only improved since then.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    The "what if's" are insane. The "what's needed" list isn't as long.

Prepare in steps. Using a possible natural disaster as your most probable. Spiral out from there for other scenario's.

Have a plan for ways to cook without grid power or gas form the pipe.
    Have a plan for water without the water from the pipe.
    Have a plan for light without grid power.
    Have a plan for keeping things cold or heat things up without grid power or gas from the pipe.
    Have a plan for how to keep warm without grid power.
    Have a plan on how to power devices which don't plug in, rechargeable items, battery powered items..

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would add.. start small.
    MOST likely will be short outages.

But when you add a little at a time, it will add up.

Figure supplies you need.
    Write down prices.
    Check every once in a while, one might be on sale.

Whatever you get for water, you'll need more.
    Store it, filter it, purify it... you'll need more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The "what if's" are insane. The "what's needed" list isn't as long.

Prepare in steps. Using a possible natural disaster as your most probable. Spiral out from there for other scenario's.

Have a plan for ways to cook without grid power or gas form the pipe.
    Have a plan for water without the water from the pipe.
    Have a plan for light without grid power.
    Have a plan for keeping things cold or heat things up without grid power or gas from the pipe.
    Have a plan for how to keep warm without grid power.
    Have a plan on how to power devices which don't plug in, rechargeable items, battery powered items..

And.....never park your rigs with under a half tank of fuel.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    In that scenario, it throws a red flag into bug out phase. Cell towers should have battery backup so for all cell and also internet service to also be out then it is not just a drunk hitting a pole or a blown transformer. If getting out is your plan (some it's not which is fine) then recongnizing the early and right time to go will be key. You have an hour of you are lucky. After that the govt will have things blocked off and activated that you don't want to have to bipass

Top Bottom