• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I am unsure of where to post this thread, but here goes.

Temps are warm, rain, snow is melting. Now nighttime temps had fallen about 20*F, and doors to my old 94 Olds work car are frozen closed(all 4). Tried all, but didn't want to rip the plastic handles off.

I tried the trunk with key.. opened up. My BOB is in there, contains the usual gear, and my Kabar USMC knife. I removed the Kabar, and slid it through the crack on the edge of the door(low near the post/door edge. Gentle pressure... clunk door open! Replaced knife to Alice pack. Success!

Next night took Wifeys car to work mids, she calls me to tell me the local PD saw my trunk lid open. Officer closed trunk lid, and stopped before leaving. He mentioned that the Alice pack, 2 canteens, pistol belt with 2 m16 Ammo pouches, are all there. He also said it was a good idea to carry trunk supplies.

Wifey told him that I retired from this PD, and if I was his Supervisor, every Patrol Vehicle would carry Personal Survival Gear. He kinda chuckled and said "the current Supervisor carries a cell phone and a cup of coffee." Wifey said to stop on a warmer day, and I would give him a list pf SP gear. She said I shop Ebay for used stuff, usually a lot cheaper $.

In closing Officer said "Thanks, will do", probably thinks we are nuts, having a BOB, spare water, sleeping bag, and no visible weapons.(I do case up a Moss 500 12 ga, and keep 50 rds of mixed slugs and buckshot.) Usually the SG goes with me. I don't leave it overnight.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I keep a bag in the car, and aside from getting into the first aid kit for a bandaid a few times, the best thing I keep in there for icy weather is a pair of yak trax. Those things have saved my but, literally, numerous times. When it gets icy, I keep em in the passenger floor board and slip em over my shoes whenever I get out of the car.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Ice storms are the worst, fix it and it comes down again. Lucky for me I'm far enough north to miss out on most of it this time. Godspeed to all those in the way of this one.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Good question about frozen hinges. WD-40 is suppose to displace moisture, but Ice? I have some Spray Antifreeze for windshields, suppose to remove ice. My issue on the thread was frozen door frame-gasket? With 50*F, dropping to 15*F, most cars show stuck doors.
    Also showed frost on inside of windshield. Running car did warm car to unfreeze the other doors. Just glad trunk opened with key, old car. trunk must have also deiced to pop open next day.
    Would silicone be a better option vs WD=40?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good question about frozen hinges. WD-40 is suppose to displace moisture, but Ice? I have some Spray Antifreeze for windshields, suppose to remove ice. My issue on the thread was frozen door frame-gasket? With 50*F, dropping to 15*F, most cars show stuck doors.
    Also showed frost on inside of windshield. Running car did warm car to unfreeze the other doors. Just glad trunk opened with key, old car. trunk must have also deiced to pop open next day.
    Would silicone be a better option vs WD=40?

I use whatever spray or liquid lube I have handy. Last time I squirted 'em it was with a spray white lithium grease. Gun oils work too.

Dont put ANY wet lubes in your locks. It attracts grit and dirt and gums up the works. Only use dry graphite based lubes for those delicate machines.

I found out the hard way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dont put ANY wet lubes in your locks. It attracts grit and dirt and gums up the works. Only use dry graphite based lubes for those delicate machines.

I found out the hard way.

I've been lubing locks with wet lubes for decades without problems. It keeps them from freezing in the winter and they all function well.

Lubes don't "attract" dirt, but whatever dirt that gets in there can stick to it.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Stuck doors, I pound around the edges of the door to try to break loose the ice.

It's the outside rearview mirrors that kill me.
    How do you guys, without heated mirrors, clear the ice?
    The ice scraper is "iffy".

Top Bottom