• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In other news, the Pope remains Catholic.

Well, Jesuit. Basically the same.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    40% not knowing how to swim is bad.

Huh? Having never swum in open water is not the same thing as being unable to swim.

Especially with "open water" being a loosely defined term. I've mostly heard it used as referring to water far from land--which requires an ocean or a very big lake. But then the SCUBA community just means anything other than a pool.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    How can you blame them, when they were never taught by the generation before them?

^^^THIS^^^ My 15 yr old started the fire in our fireplace last week with his second strike on flint and steel. Most open water has "No Swimming" signs posted everywhere so I'm not sure who that blame should really fall to. We've bubble wrapped the world they live in and legislated safety and security into every unprotected orifice we could. Should we be surprised we've created a helpless generation? Some basic skills could be taught in the backyard of suburbia if those with the know how spent just a little time unplugging their captive Millennial...

We did a little experiment with our band of Millennials and drug them into the woods (no bathrooms, no safe spaces, nothing but sticks and rocks and dirt...) and they loved every moment of it. They beg to go out again and again. Their imaginations run away with them and we have to call them back for lunch or a water break (actually text them, but in the context of my rant seems a bit hypocritical...but I digress). It isn't too late to instill whatever useful knowledge you have into the younger generation, no matter how crotchety they may be. It's winter and the electricity will eventually go out - wouldn't it be nice if they could at least be able to start you a fire without burning the house down?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What a poor article that teaches us nothing.

How many of those so called "millenials" where polled? From where? City folks or country folks?

I don't think it has anything to do with generation but more with social background and location.

[FONT=&amp]Only a third of respondents knew how to naturally ignite a fire, and 44 percent had never been camping before. Moreover, half of the young adults surveyed were unable to tie a survival knot, less than a third had ever caught their own fish, and 40 percent of young people surveyed reported having never swum in open water.[/FONT]

What does "naturally ignite a fire" even means??? To me "naturally" means not "artificially", therefore it means ignite a fire using only thunder and not a lighter or matches (not even using rocks, that would not be natural).

A survival knot, what is that? I guess it's any knot that could help you survive.
    You can survive using just a very simple overhand knot to tie things together, therefore it's a survival knot.
    I'm pretty sure everybody knows that knot.

Never been camping? Once again it depends where they are from.
    Of course you ask people living in large cities it's less likely they ever been camping.

Never swum in open water (so sea and lakes)? It's the case for many people, doesn't mean they are not good swimmers in a swimming pool.
    Once again it depends where they live.
    Do they live by the sea or next to a lake?

And since when having been camping means you can survive in the wild?
    Many people go camping in some fancy places, with showers, hot water, and everything just like in a 5 stars hotels.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't know what kind of a survival scenario would come up in the world we live in today that would require me to swim in open water, ignite a fire without a match or lighter, catch fish or tie anything other than a basic knot. I'm not in the habit of defending today's young whipper-snappers, but this article is silly.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't know what kind of a survival scenario would come up in the world we live in today that would require me to swim in open water, ignite a fire without a match or lighter, catch fish or tie anything other than a basic knot. I'm not in the habit of defending today's young whipper-snappers, but this article is silly.

Robinson Caruso.

Top Bottom