• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    For those of you who care, I just got back from a cruise. For those of you who do not care, I just got back from a cruise. And yes, it was amazing. It was hot, I have a tan, and I snorkeled with a squid, barracuda, and lots of beautiful fish. Also, I gained mucho pounds. Mahi Mahi or Veal Parm? I'll have both thank you.

Anyway, enough about how my week was better than yours. I wanted to post some discussion points with regards to traveling. The back story is that my wife's cousin became sick on the second day. The ship has some medical facilities, but they are somewhat limited. By the 3rd day they were expecting UTI, but that evening they discovered she had appendicitis. Our ship was docked in Progresso, Mexico. She was driven to the local hospital for surgery, and is still there. Her husband and toddler are back home with the rest of us. Her sister stayed to help and communicate.

1) Always take a passport if you leave the country, even if you don't have to. She has recovered from surgery and is well enough to travel home, but had to wait for a temporary passport. On that note, big shout out to the U.S. State Department. They provided valuable service I don't mind paying for as a taxpayer. They sent someone to the hospital to assist with the paperwork, and she will be on her way home tomorrow night.

2) On that note, don't travel to places where we don't have diplomatic relations with the government.

3) Cash is king. They didn't have much (neither did we) and this caused some interesting problems. A Mexican ambulance is sort of like a taxi, apparently. When they got to the hospital, they were expecting payment for the trip on the spot. When she was told her insurance wasn't accepted, they were told the $100 cash they had would be good enough to start the procedure. (I know. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? How much do you charge to finish the procedure?) Still haven't heard how much the final bill was. A somewhat better off family member gave her a credit card to help with expenses, and that is how she will be traveling home.

4) On a related note: is your health insurance good where you are traveling? If not, you might want to be prepared on some level for an emergency, or go somewhere else.

5) Have a family care plan in place, especially if you travel with children. Her husband made a split second decision to stay on board with the baby instead of go with his wife to the hospital. Would I have done that? I don't think so, but I won't criticize him for doing what he thought was best for his family. But it might have been easier if he had considered the possibility beforehand. I know I hadn't thought about it until after this.

Maybe you have a comment, or would like to bring up further discussion. But I thought this might help someone.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We always get trip insurance if going far, and medical on that. We also get cash exchanged by our bank a few weeks before (local exchange rates can be a killer), and carry it in our precious little belt or neck packs under our clothes (if we will have to carry it all or a lot), along with our passports. Some credit cards will exchange cheap, many will not. Having someone who speaks the language is really valuable (our oldest daughter does Spanish and Mandarin, so we're mostly covered.)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    We always get trip insurance if going far, and medical on that. We also get cash exchanged by our bank a few weeks before (local exchange rates can be a killer), and carry it in our precious little belt or neck packs under our clothes (if we will have to carry it all or a lot), along with our passports. Some credit cards will exchange cheap, many will not. Having someone who speaks the language is really valuable (our oldest daughter does Spanish and Mandarin, so we're mostly covered.)

Good ideas. Yes, there can be some real sharks in the currency exchange in these places. I asked a cabbie what the exchange rate was, just out of curiosity (we weren't really in the market). He said it depends on where you go, and gave me a wide range of what I could expect to encounter.

On the subject of cabbies, the guy we had in Cozumel was awesome. There they stay with you all day. They act as sort of a one stop shop for transportation, concierge services, and translation.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I wouldn't begrudge anyone their preferences, but it's hard to find live coral in Muncie, and sitting out on the ocean smoking a Cohiba has a certain appeal to it.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Glad you enjoyed your sea time, but no thanks. I've done mine. Eight years at sea with the USN was enough. My wife doesn't understand.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Glad you enjoyed your sea time, but no thanks. I've done mine. Eight years at sea with the USN was enough. My wife doesn't understand.

I thought about this when I was on the boat. I don't think I would ever do it if I had been in the Navy. But then I do enjoy minimalist camping, and I'm in the Infantry. Still, I think being in the Navy would take the fun out of it.

They had a veterans recognition on the boat at one point. Most of the guys were Army or Air Force. The Marines, Seamen and Coasties were not as well represented, and probably for this very reason.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have traveled quite a bit, 4 weeks in China (picked up a few kids while there) most of Europe etc.

We really enjoy experiencing different cultures, food, and the history of older countries.

Few tips, choose a phone plan that works well in the area you are going ie Tmobile in Europe.

PRE load the cities you will be in, into google maps while you are at home with fast internet/wifi. Make note of the locations of hospitals, police US Embassy/Consulates etc. Your gps will work fine with your pre downloaded maps. You will have real trouble accessing the maps in many areas due to poor connections speeds. And take your Anker battery backup you will burn through your phones battery.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    If I never have to leave the country again, I'm fine with that.

That being said, an active passport is never a bad thing to have.

We vacation American.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Most of this advice applies to the US also.

We drive to FL twice a year. Major city maps are saved on my phone. I have friends and locations along the way pre-arranged as places to bail out. If Atlanta is on fire and I am near there I have a plan. Radio is programmed with the routes repeaters etc.

Travel like you are going to a 3rd world country and you should be ok.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Rule number one is never leave MERICA!

I don't travel much and am darn sure not getting on a boat in the ocean.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the info and advise. I have used your tips on many overseas trips. I try to get out of the country on scuba diving trips at least 3 times a year. I'm headed to the Dominican Republic soon. That trip is just a 10 day away trip. I agree with the phone comments above. Getting a sim card on a spare phone once you land is easy enough at the airport in most places. Communication, both local and international, is key when a problem arises. there are all kinds of tricks you can use over WiFi if you have a laptop handy. Local currency is where it is at. Get used to the local customs on bartering and tip/no tip and you will be fine. A recent trip to the Philippines found that the exchange rate was $1.00 us to $48 pecos.
    I travel to dive and also to enjoy other cultures and customs. Meeting new friends, and seeing the amazing world we have is good for the soul.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the info and advise. I have used your tips on many overseas trips. I try to get out of the country on scuba diving trips at least 3 times a year. I'm headed to the Dominican Republic soon. That trip is just a 10 day away trip. I agree with the phone comments above. Getting a sim card on a spare phone once you land is easy enough at the airport in most places. Communication, both local and international, is key when a problem arises. there are all kinds of tricks you can use over WiFi if you have a laptop handy. Local currency is where it is at. Get used to the local customs on bartering and tip/no tip and you will be fine. A recent trip to the Philippines found that the exchange rate was $1.00 us to $48 pecos.
    I travel to dive and also to enjoy other cultures and customs. Meeting new friends, and seeing the amazing world we have is good for the soul.

Agree Scuba, we are alive such a short time, carpe diem. So many wonders on this planet to see and experience. I will keep trying to see them until I am unable.

Top Bottom