• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DantesPurgatory

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So, Marion County is starting up beginning level CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) Training for 2017. I put in my application since it's free but I wanted to know what everyone's opinion is on this training that has previously taken it (or even from those who haven't!). I'm assuming it's entry level type knowledge but I figured it would be a good place for someone to start and very cost effective to boot! Your thoughts are appreciated!

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I recommend it. I attended the general 21-hour CERT class this last year and will be going again this year. It is very good community-level citizen response training covering a wide range of scenarios. Any topics that you already have serious experience/training in will seem basic, but it is likely that there are some areas that will be new to you and you will gain value from. After you take the intro course, you can then go onto the more specialized courses. I wouldn't call them advanced because they really aren't. For example, I am in IT and the cyber security class was generally good, basic advice, but was quite boring for me. However, the animal care and control class gave me practical tools for dealing with animals in emergency or tense situations. There are also additional online training opportunities and monthly leadership meetings to discuss current topics and status.

You can take the main course, get a certificate and stop there, get additional training, or get involved up to the point of being a neighborhood/community leader. The level of involvement and commitment is entirely up to you.

Here is the list and sign-up page for Marion County-local classes: DHS - CERT Training

As for cost, it is technically $0, but they will encourage you to buy a backpack emergency kit (like a "go" bag but oriented towards emergency response). If you are already well equipped in that area, then you can easily assemble your own instead.

When you are coming up to time for your class, I recommend posting here and looking for other INGOers that you can meet up with.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Sounded like a good idea. If nothing else, I will learn the .gov's intentions in case of events.
    I signed up for March class. I'll try to get wife to go as well.

Matt

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm on the CERT team. It's very good free training that will help you be able to help members in your community when a disaster strikes. It takes some of the burden off local fire and police. Sometimes civilians are the first responders and sometimes seconds and minutes before the fire department arrives count towards saving a life.
    You are trained to shut off gas, search for victims in downed structures (with a partner), and great first aid and cpr skills,
    and how to triage and crib structures ect. Also communications. CERT works closely with local fire and police in a disaster. They gave my class a bag with tools and equipment to each student. I don't know if this is still done. Also CERT works bi events like the state fair and the Indy 500 and other events. Also they routinely help IMPD with training scenarios.
    its official training through FEMA and the department of homeland security. You will go through an FBI background check.
    I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wants to be a leader in their community and help neighbors in the most trying of times. You may just hand out bottles of water to firefighters and police at a major event or fire but I can tell you they are glad to have that bottle of water and the thank you for your service that comes with it. You can make a difference!

several other ingo members were in my class, most of us knew each other before and took it together. From all walks of life even law enforcement

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    CERT is something you want to get your neighbors involved with, not just yourself. In the midst of a widespread disaster (think the tornados that ran through Marion County in September 2002) Fire Rescue and EMS services will likely be overwhelmed and your neighborhood, if affected, may be on its own for hours or even days. While Marion County has an Urban Search & Rescue Task Force which is highly trained and has a lot of equipment, it is - of necessity - limited in its scope. And while its specialized rescue resources may be available in the event of a local disaster, it may still be hours before it can be mobilized and effectively deployed. FEMA says to not expect them for 3 days MINIMUM. That's a long time to be trapped in a collapsed home or under a fallen tree. Having your neighbors and yourself available in YOUR neighborhood with at least minimal tools and knowledge, may save lives and property which would be lost if you had to wait for professional resources to arrive.

For those of you not in Marion County, get in touch with your local officials and ask WHY they can't come up with the funding for this very cost-effective community outreach effort. Get your friends and neighbors to add their voices. Talk to your state representatives as well, since Marion County's seed money for CERT came originally from FEMA through the State Emergency Management agency. Emphasize the need to leverage resources in the event of a disaster as well as the positive aspects of bringing neighborhoods together through this training. Don't give up and don't stop nagging.

Just FYI, I'm not involved in CERT in any way, although I helped teach some of the original portions of it when we first started it in Marion County back in the late 90s.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I took the 21 hour class last November. Well worth the time. Just be aware that by taking the training, you are putting your name on a list to respond during times of community emergencies. It is not really disaster preparedness training, but community disaster response training. You will learn search & rescue techniques, first aid training, emergency response organization, triage and coordination with first responders among other skills. Marion County CERT is currently in the process of setting up Township based teams.

Hope you enjoy the training.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another CERT member here. DEFINITELY worth it. I feel MUCH more prepared than before. (And I considered myself to be pretty squared away before)

And as Blackhawk said, its not an individual thing. You cant do it all yourself. Recruit your neighbors if you can. If you can get a handful of neighbors trained you'll be set. While it would be awesome to have the entire neighborhood trained, having essentially "block captains" trained so that there is enough command structure to effectively deal with the emergency will help exponentially.

DantesPurgatory

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So I received my official acceptance email last week for the March CERT Training. I originally saw the post through my subdivision's Next Door app page and I did see several others show interest. This subdivision is pretty quiet and we all unfortunately tend to keep to ourselves. Hopefully several others from my neighboorhood got accepted as well (as does the one other on here that applied for it!). I'll follow up on our local Next Door to find out.

I like the idea of Block Captains and the overall concept (especially after the shooting we had in the 'hood a couple of weeks ago). I don't mind being on a list and having a FBI background check (since I've already had a few for "security measures" for myself and my household, if ya get my meaning). Besides, they only say something if you've been convicted right.....? ;)

Jkwrangler70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2016
    Lafayette
    I know it's not what the post was originally about but you can take collegiate certificate level FEMA courses online. These certificates are recognized nationally as certificates in thousands of different fields. They are great resume fillers if nothing else.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Anyone know offhand if they offer this in Hamilton county?

Here is the CERT contact in Hamilton County.

https://www.citizencorps.fema.gov/cc/showCert.do?id=47637&cert=

Month and year the CERT Program was started: November 2010
    Geographic Area: HAMILTON (County)
    Point of Contact:
    Jon Baldwin
    CERT Program Coordinator
    Hamilton County Emergency Management Agency
    18100 Cumberland Road
    Room #43
    Noblesville, IN 46060

(317) 770-3381
    Jon.Baldwin@hamiltoncounty.in.gov