• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've been thinking about this a while. 20 years ago when we built our house I was all about convenience so we had a gas fireplace installed. I know every installation is different but how feasible is it to convert it to a wood burning fireplace? The design of the house allowed for either type to be installed but since I've only seen the gas installation, I don't know what may have been done to accommodate a wood burning insert. It currently vents straight out the back. Not sure if a full chimney would have to be constructed or anything else like that.
    Can anyone give a decent estimate on making this conversion?
    I'd hate losing the convenience of the gas but I'd feel a bit more secure with wood as a backup heat source.

Thanks, Matt

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Four years ago I had our new retirement home built and had a gas fireplace installed as well. After watching the construction, framing and installation of the gas unit, I would NEVER consider trying to convert from gas to wood. My house offered the option for gas or wood, but the framing, installation and construction was completely different. In my opinion, the only way to do it correctly would be to select an outside wall, have a foundation poured and then have someone install the wood unit on the new slab with a masonry surround and chimney outside the house.

I have a Pacific Energy wood stove out in my workshop and burn out there 24/7 in the winter. I think it would be a lot cheaper to keep your gas unit intact and just have a good quality wood stove installed in another location in the house for back-up / emergency situations.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Four years ago I had our new retirement home built and had a gas fireplace installed as well. After watching the construction, framing and installation of the gas unit, I would NEVER consider trying to convert from gas to wood. My house offered the option for gas or wood, but the framing, installation and construction was completely different. In my opinion, the only way to do it correctly would be to select an outside wall, have a foundation poured and then have someone install the wood unit on the new slab with a masonry surround and chimney outside the house.

I have a Pacific Energy wood stove out in my workshop and burn out there 24/7 in the winter. I think it would be a lot cheaper to keep your gas unit intact and just have a good quality wood stove installed in another location in the house for back-up / emergency situations.

I wondered how much difference there was. Unfortunately due to the floor plan, there is nowhere else to put a fireplace. A wood stove could possibly be installed in the basement but don't know enough about that to know if a flue could be installed.

Matt

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like the above post I had my retirement home constructed a few years back, but installed a Quadrafire wood burning insert. It has upper and lower level blowers and heats 3200 square feet. Living in the forest the wood part of the decision was easy.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I would NEVER consider trying to convert from gas to wood. My house offered the option for gas or wood, but the framing, installation and construction was completely different. In my opinion, the only way to do it correctly would be to select an outside wall, have a foundation poured and then have someone install the wood unit on the new slab with a masonry surround and chimney outside the house.

Masonry is not the only way to do a fireplace. As a matter of fact, its a bit outdated, expensive, inefficient (unless done really, really well) and the worst cost/benefit ratio.

OP, you cannot convert your gas appliance to burn wood, it would be incredibly unsafe (almost suicidal) to even attempt to do so. Your best option is to check into zero-clearance fireplaces. They are made to go into an alcove/wall just like most gas appliances. They are typically larger so you may need to re-do some framing but it's possible. For chimney you would go with Class A (dual-wall insulated stainless). It would be best to have an enclosed chase around the the chimney but it's not mandatory. Lastly, no expensive foundations/footers/slabs are necessary for this approach. You can even do this on cantilevered fireplace alcoves.

How about some pictures of what you have now (inside & outside).

Last edited:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I knew the entire gas fireplace would have to be pulled and some structural work would need to be done. Out at dinner right now, I'll post a couple inside pics later tonight. Not sure outside pic will be usable this late.

Matt

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I would also check your homeowners insurance, some of the companies are charging a large premium on wood burning appliances, in 1999 my insurance jumped another 500 dollars just for adding a wood burning stove!!!!

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Here's a couple pics. On the outside pic, the trimmed center section sticks out from the wall about 18".

Matt

no idea why two are sideways. They are correct on my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1974.jpg
      IMG_1974.jpg
      788.7 KB · Views: 9
    • IMG_1973.jpg
      IMG_1973.jpg
      689.5 KB · Views: 9
    • IMG_1978.jpg
      IMG_1978.jpg
      636.4 KB · Views: 14

st8kfinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    north east
    I have an outdoor wood furnace and for an emergency its useless, it saves money but it burns wood up fast and still uses an electric motor so if the power goes out in the winter I'm still cold. I'm looking into a small indoor wood stove, walking outside every few hours to feed a furnace sucks and propaine is expensive.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    From the exterior photo you posted, it looks like the house MAY have been constructed for a wood burning fireplace, but a gas insert was installed. My fireplace was framed and built specifically for the gas unit.

I would contact a reputable fireplace contractor / inspector and have them come check out your home to see if a wood burning unit can be installed. It looks like the exterior offset is designed for either type unit.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Sounds like the zc fireplace and double wall pipe would be your best bet. You are looking at $5k or more easily. With an insert, install, all in....Probably more $
    A bsmt install may be possible using the same pipe setup, but it's not gonna heat as well as the living room location.

If its only a backup and no plans to burn 24-7, I'd take that kind of $ and buy a whole house genny providing heat and power. Jmo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The venting (Flu) for a wood burner is completely different than your gas unit. There are some very precise codes involved.
    I know 2 people that bought inserts that were wood stoves that inserted where the gas log fireplace had been. They ran the flu per code.
    Not as classy as a wood burning fire place but they probably heat better.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The venting (Flu) for a wood burner is completely different than your gas unit. There are some very precise codes involved.
    I know 2 people that bought inserts that were wood stoves that inserted where the gas log fireplace had been. They ran the flu per code.
    Not as classy as a wood burning fire place but they probably heat better.
    Inserts or ZC fireplaces? I suspect ZC fireplace, inserts cannot be inserted into an open wall-space, they must be installed in an existing, open masonry fireplace.

If you're talking about ZC fireplaces I would beg to differ on your "not as classy" comment. A ZC fireplace can be finished very "classy" depending on your version of classy. As a matter of fact, properly done the only aesthetic difference is the doors/glass and the small amount of the unit that is visible. OP, PM me your email and I'll email you a couple pictures of my ZC install at my old house, despite the $4300 cost (I did all the work myself including tile hearth) it paid for itself the 2nd winter, but we heated 95%+ with it.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I discussed this as a possible project with my wife. While she is understanding on the alternative heating capability, she isn't willing to give up the convenience of our existing gas fireplace. Only other option I see would be a freestanding wood burner in the basement. Even that would be a pain to run the flue out. Not to mention carrying wood down the stairway all the time.

Matt

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Inserts or ZC fireplaces? I suspect ZC fireplace, inserts cannot be inserted into an open wall-space, they must be installed in an existing, open masonry fireplace.

If you're talking about ZC fireplaces I would beg to differ on your "not as classy" comment. A ZC fireplace can be finished very "classy" depending on your version of classy. As a matter of fact, properly done the only aesthetic difference is the doors/glass and the small amount of the unit that is visible. OP, PM me your email and I'll email you a couple pictures of my ZC install at my old house, despite the $4300 cost (I did all the work myself including tile hearth) it paid for itself the 2nd winter, but we heated 95%+ with it.

They may have been masonry.
    The insert looks like a wood stove with the doors.
    Not a bad look just not as classy as a nice open fireplace.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I discussed this as a possible project with my wife. While she is understanding on the alternative heating capability, she isn't willing to give up the convenience of our existing gas fireplace. Only other option I see would be a freestanding wood burner in the basement. Even that would be a pain to run the flue out. Not to mention carrying wood down the stairway all the time.

Matt
    My wife wasn't fond of the idea of burning wood either. Her parents had a gas fireplace growing up and she loved it. Once we had the wood she fell in love with it, MUCH warmer heat and it's really not that much of an inconvenience. We had a wood rack right next to it so she didn't have to go far to get wood.

As a matter of fact, the new place had a gas fireplace in the master bedroom... her response to it? "Get rid of that thing, if we have a fireplace it'll be wood"

They may have been masonry.
    The insert looks like a wood stove with the doors.
    Not a bad look just not as classy as a nice open fireplace.

To each his own, I think they're still pretty classy...
    z42cd11.jpg
    z42%20kozy%20heat%20hechler%20missouri.jpg

That's the Kozyheat Z42CD, exact model we had at the old place. It's one of the more affordable options (IIRC $2600 when I bought it in 2010).

Top Bottom