Anyone built an outhouse or privy to code?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Has anyone built an outhouse or privy to actual code? The property I bought does not have city sewer and I don't want to spend 10,000 on a septic system that I am only going to use 2-3 times a month for me and a buddy. I want to keep it in code and look for info. Otherwise, I will probably buy a porta potty and go from there.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    we have a porta potty, places that rent them sell old ones, taylor rental sells them for around $75, we do a corn maze that is also haunted in the fall, father in law just used a dedicated shop vac and cleans it almost every day were open. then puts it in the septic tank. if u go that route make sure its staked down real good, weve had them tip over a few times, a bit of a mess even if its clean, dont have a pic but it has barn wood on the out side to make it look like a old out house.

or just make a building with a 5 gal bucket with a lid u take with u every trip.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Check local ordinances, some places have a total ban,

[video=youtube;-cSfwq5kjEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cSfwq5kjEE[/video]

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    The biggest concern is more for spouses not so much us. We could care less but if the wives come down, they want something more substantial. And they are legal in the county I will be in but just wanted to know if anyone had already done it

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    The guy I spoke with a county board of health said that they followed the state law on it. ISDH: The Sanitary Vault Privy - Bulletin S.E. 11 He was kind of vague because when I talked about the vault he said I would have to use a 1000 gallon tank but looking at the code it calls for 6 cubic feet per person which if my math is right is around 50 gallons. Shibumiseeker, I am going to PM you though.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    A club I was in had a "bio" toilet and it worked really well. I don't know where it came from. It had a pull out drawer for disposing of the "composted" remains. Above that was a rack with cardboard covered with about 6 inches of peat moss.
    Pretty sure that is how it was....

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    we have a porta potty, places that rent them sell old ones, taylor rental sells them for around $75, we do a corn maze that is also haunted in the fall, father in law just used a dedicated shop vac and cleans it almost every day were open. then puts it in the septic tank. if u go that route make sure its staked down real good, weve had them tip over a few times, a bit of a mess even if its clean, dont have a pic but it has barn wood on the out side to make it look like a old out house.

or just make a building with a 5 gal bucket with a lid u take with u every trip.

That's a dedicated man right there.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    Its not too bad if done every day. Its $75 a month to rent, and cleans once a month. Only puts about 2 or 3 gal of water with chemical stuff. He is also retired so has some time during the day

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Up at Uncle Dick and Aunt Shirley''s place on the Kankakee, we called it the "bath on the path". and it was swanky. UD dug out a hole, put in a concrete floor, and built cinder block walls. A concrete floor and toilet completed the "vault".
    He and Aunt Shirley took the outhouse itself, repaired it, sat it on the slab, and made it nice. All painted up on the inside, lol, Aunt Shirley''s bird stickers, a nice container for lime and a scoop, even an electric light.
    I knew way back then I'd never forget that place or my aunt and uncle. Aunt Shirley's a south Texas widow, and Uncle Dick and the old river house are both long gone. But I remember.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There was still 2 outhouses on to family farm when I was a boy. They still were in use into my early teens. The house had plumbing but it was easier to duck in the "House" and do your thing if you were working out by the barn.

They moved one once.

1).....dig a hole.
    2).....level up the edges.
    3).....move the "House" over the hole.
    4).....Go Poop.

Top Bottom