• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    MSG Area 3 has been quietly meeting for some months now at a regular meeting and time in order to work out the mechanics of having larger open meetings.

A brief note on this: MSG 3 has been meeting infrequently as a core group for over a year but had worked hard to make a standard time and only within the last 6 months we have been able to stabilize on a working date and time and an order of business.

So, at the last meeting we decided we were ready to open up to anyone in the area who is interested in meeting. So here we go:

MSG Area 3 Regular Meeting

Meeting Time: First Wednesday of the Month. 9:30 PM

Meeting Location: BW3 in Bloomington

Meeting Purpose: To discuss training, 2A related political action, and other material activities related to the MSG idea in MSG3.

Meeting Mechanics: Come on time and the first portion of the meeting is held on a loose use of Rogers Rules of Order. Once we are done with the meeting itself people tend to stay and chat. It is a noisy venue, so focus in the first portion of the meeting is vital and the thing that has kept us small.

Current Activities Being Worked On: The HT paper and current legislation has loomed large for the MSG3 and we have worked to coordinate our efforts. We will review all of this at our next meeting. Additionally, a cold weather shoot and cold weather campout are on the table as possibilities (we have a place, just need a time based on people's interest).

New Items: Up to each person to propose. However, we need to be very careful with a group so young and diverse. Come and listen, and eat, and let's see where we go!

Let me or Longbow know if you have any questions or ideas you want to prep for our next meeting. And for those who cannot attend due to timing, we have wrestled with the time over and over and this is the best compromise we could come up with. Oh, and as for a quieter venue, we have been looking and not found one yet.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I would love to be a part of this group, however I am on the road pretty much all the time. Is there a structure that includes a "secretary" to take minutes? It would be FANTASTIC if those could be posted on a "MSG3" sticky!!!

we've kinda decided against that as our meetings aren't ingo sponsored events and not everything discussed is ingo appropriate or meant for the the masses of the internet. thats not to say there won't be things that are posted such as events, thats part of the reason for in person meetings is a little more anonymity.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    we've kinda decided against that as our meetings aren't ingo sponsored events and not everything discussed is ingo appropriate or meant for the the masses of the internet.

PM's might work. Or generalities. An example of the reason we have shied away from specifics is the work on the HT. IN that case the reporter and others were reading the forum to gain data on what we were doing.

So, in that case, it would not work.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Understood, of course I wouldn't want anything security sensitive posted in the open. I'm just trying to figure out a way to participate or at least benefit in some way:) Naturally if I'm able to attend, I will. If specific training/classes are posted in advance, I may be able to occasionally attend as well, provided I'm not in some God forsaken place like California or New York.......

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Couple of questions/thoughts:

Anyone mind if I participate in Area 3 MSG? I'm on the southern edge of Marion County and my bug-out route and final destination would be Loogootee, the northern edge of Martin County. I hunt/fish/camp/travel/know MSG3 counties more than any others, having grown up in Lawrence County.

As far as Internet discussion go, you could set up a private Facebook group and only invite your members there. I did one of these for our family and it works out very well. Has it's own discussion board, picture albums, event calendar, video etc.

Could also set up an email list for sharing documents, etc.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Couple of questions/thoughts:

Sure!

Anyone mind if I participate in Area 3 MSG? I'm on the southern edge of Marion County and my bug-out route and final destination would be Loogootee, the northern edge of Martin County. I hunt/fish/camp/travel/know MSG3 counties more than any others, having grown up in Lawrence County.

Anyone who shows is welcome!

As far as Internet discussion go, you could set up a private Facebook group and only invite your members there. I did one of these for our family and it works out very well. Has it's own discussion board, picture albums, event calendar, video etc.

Tyler is already on this. Great minds thing alike! To be clear, we are doing NOTHING in secret and NOTHING that would be different from the rules on INGO. We just aren't posting up all the minutes from the meeting in a thread. You want to know what we talked about, just PM me. "Super secret" talk and stuff is not going to happen or be welcome.

Could also set up an email list for sharing documents, etc.

We talked about that, and planned to get back to it. Most of us are overwhelmed by email and stuff gets missed. But, again, we were gonna talk more about it.

So yeah, come, eat, talk, plan, learn, chat, enjoy. You are more than welcome.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Sure!

Tyler is already on this. Great minds thing alike! To be clear, we are doing NOTHING in secret and NOTHING that would be different from the rules on INGO. We just aren't posting up all the minutes from the meeting in a thread. You want to know what we talked about, just PM me. "Super secret" talk and stuff is not going to happen or be welcome.

Heh. I don't post some things that I don't mind individuals knowing, but for opsec I don't want on the net in a searchable format. Has nothing to do with tinfoil hat nsa is listening worries, it has very much to do with having been burned in the past in more than one way.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Heh. I don't post some things that I don't mind individuals knowing, but for opsec I don't want on the net in a searchable format. Has nothing to do with tinfoil hat nsa is listening worries, it has very much to do with having been burned in the past in more than one way.

???? the facebook group IS NOT searchable as it is a closed private group.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    ???? the facebook group IS NOT searchable as it is a closed private group.

No, but once something is posted on the net it can go ANYWHERE and it doesn't die. At least face to face you have reasonable idea of not only who gets told what, but when it comes around again as rumor or whatnot, you have a starting point for the chain. And just because what is on FB is closed now it doesn't mean that it will always be. I was a prolific poster on USENET from 1989 until a few years ago and I can still find the first few posts I ever made.

Which is a moot issue as far as I am concerned as I am not a member of the MSG (not that I have anything against it, mind you).

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I was a prolific poster on USENET from 1989 until a few years ago and I can still find the first few posts I ever made.

Exactly, and my usenet stuff is still out there too. You're bringing back the memories. :n00b:

Luckily the bitnet stuff....

:laugh:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    No, but once something is posted on the net it can go ANYWHERE and it doesn't die. At least face to face you have reasonable idea of not only who gets told what, but when it comes around again as rumor or whatnot, you have a starting point for the chain. And just because what is on FB is closed now it doesn't mean that it will always be. I was a prolific poster on USENET from 1989 until a few years ago and I can still find the first few posts I ever made.

Which is a moot issue as far as I am concerned as I am not a member of the MSG (not that I have anything against it, mind you).

well regardless nothing in that group is the least bit concerning if it got out years later, mostly updates without specifics;) and techres you need to join already.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Has nothing to do with tinfoil hat nsa is listening worries
    Funny you should mention that, I hauled and installed a bunch of mainframe equipment to the NSA in Falls Church, VA and jokingly asked "is this the stuff that spies on us?" and the reply was that it is linked into nearly every communication satellite and "listens" to all electronic communication as well as routing and storage of it all. This thing was actually amazing, almost as amazing as it is frightening. Cell phone, land line, internet, and through a network of repeaters even short wave......They ARE listening and archiving.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Funny you should mention that, I hauled and installed a bunch of mainframe equipment to the NSA in Falls Church, VA and jokingly asked "is this the stuff that spies on us?" and the reply was that it is linked into nearly every communication satellite and "listens" to all electronic communication as well as routing and storage of it all. This thing was actually amazing, almost as amazing as it is frightening. Cell phone, land line, internet, and through a network of repeaters even short wave......They ARE listening and archiving.

Oh, I know that virtually all electronic communications is being intercepted, that's been a fact of life for a long time. I also know that there are some honking big computers that are programmed to look for certain assemblages of communications (not just key words), but I also know that they are extremely sophisticated and are looking for patterns, not just occasional phrases, and one has to be a pretty interesting target, and imagined or real minor trangressions are not likely to make one a target.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    We will be running a bit light this month with a couple of members being out for this and that. In any event, we will still be meeting as usual and I will be there. See anyone there who can make it.

Top Bottom