• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What type of clothing/vests/gear/etc do you guys stock up on for SHTF? I've started buying some classic Woodland BDU's. I'd also like to get some in just Black. I've bought a couple MOLLE accessories and will build more once I get a vest. I figure the Woodland would be good for use...well....in the woods :D and I would use the Black if I had to go to any populated towns/cities. I also have a crapload of sweaters and cold weather clothing put away as well.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    You might wanna be careful wearing BDU's during SHTF. Might draw to much attention to yourself in populated areas especially if there is a military presence.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You might wanna be careful wearing BDU's during SHTF. Might draw to much attention to yourself in populated areas especially if there is a military presence.
    While I agree with this.

There are a few people that could pull off the BDU's thing. But you have to play the part. You have to look like "one bad dude" with an army to back you up.

I would prefer to keep a low profile. You have to look like you have nothing to take but everything to fight for, so that a thug/thief has nothing to gain by mugging you.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    When SHTF, I'm not planning on being around people. I'm not going to walk through the streets of Chicago in BDU's after a catastrophic event. I'm talking about holding up at your house and needing to go hunting or sneak around.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I'm talking about holding up at your house and needing to go hunting or sneak around.

For sneaking around, definitely wear clothing that will camouflage you in your environment. That may mean woodland camo, or that may mean street clothes. If avoiding people is impossible, blend. If there are few people around and you are good at stalking/stealthy movements, then wear suitable camo.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    The whole concept of camo is to approximate the background you are immersed in. If that's people, look like the people. If it's the woods, look like the woods.

Camo is not just BDU's in Multi-Cam, it's about making yourself blend in with your natural surroundings.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    For sneaking around, definitely wear clothing that will camouflage you in your environment. That may mean woodland camo, or that may mean street clothes. If avoiding people is impossible, blend. If there are few people around and you are good at stalking/stealthy movements, then wear suitable camo.

I strongly agree. I plan on using a good mix. In fact, even my regular looking street clothes that I plan on taking wouldn't work too bad as camo in a wooded area, but they don't look tactical at all, so it works out.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    When SHTF, I'm not planning on being around people. I'm not going to walk through the streets of Chicago in BDU's after a catastrophic event. I'm talking about holding up at your house and needing to go hunting or sneak around.
    Glenn Beck quoted someone the other day on his radio program something to the effect of:
    "In the case of an economic collapse, you will have less than 72 hours to evacuate metropolitan areas."
    I wish I knew the source of this theory so I could learn more and if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.
    Regardless, my family plans to retreat in stages. First to the lake, and then if it gets bad enough probably to the Northwest at which point we plan to be wearing camo.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    My guess is the 72 hour time limit is based on everyone believing the government will be there to feed and clothe you. Remember, this is the same 72 hours FEMA talks about also.

Once that time elapses people are going to start thinking about alternatives.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Stealth is the Key!

You just want to dress in a way the does not attract attention. If I had to go out at night on a recon mission or Scavange I think I'd go black. During the day If I had to go out I'd just want to blend so no one thinks I have anything worth stealing. If I had to answer the door at my home I think I'd want to look like GI Joe so they'd turn and run! :laugh:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    My gear.....Clean and pressed 5.11 gear. What else do you wear to a SHTF event?

Mix in Blackhawk, and some other stuff and I will be the coolest operator on the street.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    if I were goin to look for stuff to buy to have it would be workwear such as carhart, dickies. they don't raise any eyebrows and will last far longer than regular clothes plus they aren't high speed low drag expensive.:twocents:

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    If your driving the back roads in shtf decked out in camo with a gun(s) you're gonna throw up all kinds of red flags with cousin leo.

I've tried wearing a flak vest under a plain civilian jacket through town on errands. No one seemed to notice.

Boots - blue jeans - black jacket - ski mask rolled up. No one will pay any attention to you.

If you're being a sniper or a look out in the woods - use camo. Otherwise, I'd advise against it. JMO.

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    I've found khaki to work in just about any environment. Dickies khaki work shirt and pants, Carhart Arctic Bibs and Parka w/hood, Propper light weight tactical pants and tactical shirt. (Only way to tell the Proppers are different from Dickies and Carhartt is the label, the number of pockets on the pants (11) and the epaulets on the shirt.

Depending on the hat you're wearing, and the presence of other 'accessories', you can look like you're supposed to be where you are. Hard hat and pipe wrench say plumber, Hard hat and clipboard say construction foreman, Wide brimmed hat and non-tactical rifle say hunter, BDU cap and tactical gear say soldier or poser.

Last edited:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    My 5:11 Tac vest (not mole gear) looks like a photographers vest to me, but if Lawman is still patrolling I may not even wear that in public after SHTF. (along with my slung rifle/shotgun)I think most folks have the right idea. Heavy durable work/outdoor clothes that don't draw attention to your self. Lots of guys wear cargo pants, various brands of tac-pants don't seem out of place. If in the woods,by yourselves, then camo away!

Top Bottom